Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2016, 10:12 AM   #901
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by marctorr Quote
Well, a few days ago, one of my K-R's was unusable due to crazy mirror syndrome all the time and pulled it out today, put in a different memory card and battery and now works good as new. Was it the North Carolina humidity? Perhaps it prefers the New Mexico dry air. Seems more likely that it has a preference for certain batteries and memory. They both work fine in the other camera, also a K-R. Just can no longer depend on Pentax so this is the last one I plan to buy. Will go back to a Sony or Canon.
Sorry to hear it, although to be fair the K-r is getting quite old now (in digital camera terms, at least)... If you've had it new and got 4 - 5 years of good service out of it, that's good going. I wish you the best with whatever manufacturer you go for, but do please be aware that Sony, Canon, Nikon, Fujifilm and Olympus all have problems too; including some that are design flaws - so you can't depend on ANY brand 100%. Pentax actually does pretty well overall...

06-29-2016, 02:55 PM   #902
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sent my K-3 to Precision today. I bought it at Adorama last October. The shutter shudder happened once early on and last Saturday while doing some continuous shooting. I hope it doesn't take too long and that it will be corrected. (Is that generally the case? It is corrected?)

serial number: 6221XXX
firmware version: 1.21
purchase date: 10/24/15 @ Adorama

It first occurred as a continuous mirror Lock-up sound early on but I don't recall how I was set; no grip at that time.
Waited for it to happen again: Same thing then on June 25, 2016 at an event at Basilica St. John the Baptist.
I was set on Continuous Shooting, with Grip Battery running mostly charged.
TAv 200/f8, I had to release the battery and turn camera off.

Last edited by mysterick; 07-06-2016 at 10:33 AM. Reason: additional information
07-01-2016, 09:09 AM   #903

Pentax Kr mirror crazies

Thanks Big Mac, I appreciate your thoughts. I suppose I was spoiled by Nikon with my old F and M models that just kept on working.....they still do today. Digital tech just is so much more complicated that more is likely to go wrong more often.
07-01-2016, 09:18 AM   #904
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by marctorr Quote
I suppose I was spoiled by Nikon with my old F and M models that just kept on working.....they still do today. Digital tech just is so much more complicated that more is likely to go wrong more often.
Sadly, I have to agree. Not all progress is good (sigh)...

07-02-2016, 10:06 AM   #905
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Love my K3

Pentax has been my choice since the 80's. My K-3 functioned well for 24000+ actuations and now back from Precision It has worked well for 1000+ more. Yes I am addicted hopelessly to its magic so please keep me enthralled eternally.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
07-05-2016, 01:56 PM   #906
Veteran Member

Is it possible....

1. that my K-3 repair Precision received on July 1st is on it's way back to me?
2. that my K-3 will be repaired correctly, so quickly?

Unbelivable!

Got it back: 7/7/16
Seems good. If possible, the shutter "noise" seems to be smoother sounding, lower pitched(?)

"Explanation of Repairs:

AUTO FOCUS TEST, CHECK, RECALIBRATION AND REALIGNMENT
FIRMWARE DOWNLOAD: CORRECTIONS AND ADJUSTMENTS; ADDRESS VALUES MEASURED AND ADJUSTED
COMPLETE CLEANING (INTERNAL-EXTERNAL) AND OPTICAL SYSTEM"

Last edited by mysterick; 07-11-2016 at 10:11 AM. Reason: additional information
07-12-2016, 09:56 AM   #907

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
Let's start a list so we can get a sense of how many people are having the problem, and details that might be helpful.

Here's the rules:

Answer this thread only ONCE... just to report in.
Discussion is happening about the issue in plenty of other threads already. Let's keep this just a list of victims.

- https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/250865-k3-locking-up-while...ime-lapse.html
- https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/242257-odd-shutter-issue-f...0-problem.html
- https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/253961-k3-firmware-1-03-mirror-flap.html
- https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/253707-k-3-failure-couldnt...g-up-down.html
- https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/253079-shutter-flutter-pan...w-battery.html
- https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/255833-k3-shutter-rattling...ttery-low.html
- https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/245418-my-first-k-3-problem.html
- https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/263854-flappy-mirror.html
- https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/269053-machine-gun-mirror-...uto-focus.html
- https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/268307-k3-crazy-mirror-sic...re-1-10-a.html

Update 4/9/14: I've held off for a long time leaving a negative review on Amazon.com, hoping for a solution from Pentax... but now that this issue has dragged on for months, I really felt it was necessary. Pentax needs to address this issue and not sweep it under the rug. I encourage other users to do the same.

Update 5/21/14
As of May 21, 2014, Ricoh/Pentax seems to finally be acknowledging the problem, though without a fix for it yet. The following posts are replies that users got when they used the Ricoh Support Form to report their issue:

- https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/254464-k3-crazy-mirror-sic...ml#post2822910
- https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/263060-k-3-mirror-flutter-reply-ricoh.html

If you've had the mirror-flapping problem yourself, you should report it here and then report it to Ricoh directly. If you are in the USA you can use their web form ( Support | Ricoh Imaging ). If you are in another country, you can look up the contact information here ( RICOH IMAGING ).

Update 6/11/14 - A Fix?
There has been some movement by Pentax/Ricoh that seems to indicate they have a fix for the problem, to "resolve/reduce" (as stated by them) mirror-flapping in the K3. A member (Twino4u) was told to send his K3 in for repair for the mirror-flap issue, and it was indicated to him that it would be a software/base firmware update only a service center could do. I emailed my contact at Pentax USA who confirmed that K3 owners who have the problem can now send their camera in for "repair/adjustment". The exact correspondence seems vague, but it is at least progress in a positive direction. See the link below for the exact correspondence:

- https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/254464-k3-crazy-mirror-sic...ml#post2847808
- https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/265531-k-3-mirror-flop-fix-ricoh.html (more discussion of fix)

If anyone who has had the problem sends their camera in for repair and is willing to do some extensive testing to confirm that the issue is indeed fixed, that would be great. I would do it myself, but I don't have a K3 any longer, at least not at this point. If I didn't just come out of the hospital and wasn't anticipating some pretty steep medical bills, I'd buy another just to go through this process myself.

Update 7/10/14 -- Firmware 1.10
Firmware version 1.10 is now available. There was a rumor that firmware released in July would includes a fix for the mirror-flapping problem. There is no specific mention of this, or indication that mirror-flapping/crazy-mirror/runaway-mirror/mirror-overrun has been addressed with firmware 1.10, at least according to the Ricoh/Pentax website. "Improved stability for general performance" may or may not include the mirror-flapping problem. Without significant testing, or official word from Ricoh/Pentax, there's no way to know at this point.

Update 7/17/14 -- Firmware 1.10
There have been a couple of reports of users having the mirror-flapping problem with the latest firmware. There's a separate thread on the issue, but I also encourage users with the problem to include their report here as well, and report it to Ricoh/Pentax!

Update 11/7/14 -- Firmware 1.11
There have still been a couple of reports of users having the mirror-flapping problem with the latest firmware, though it seems as though Ricoh/Pentax has written into their firmware a provision to slow the problem down, or stop the camera all together mid-flapping, as a way to generally minimize mirror-flapping. While this is obviously progress, it is not a solution (in my opinion). At least as far as I'm concerned, I have completely lost faith that Pentax will ever solve this issue completely in the K3. Others can hold out hope for future bodies. I still maintain the opinion that if you want the most reliable Pentax, it's the K5-II or K5-IIs.

As of today, 11/7/14, I will no longer be updating this thread.

- - - - -

When you post about your problem…

Include your serial number and purchase date.

Describe when and how the crazy mirror lockups occurred, and what resolved it.

Include any camera settings and setups you can remember.

Include your firmware version.

- - - - -

Members Reporting the Issue

So far, in the various threads about this issue, between me and Jhmos, we've counted a total of 152 people who have reported having the problem at least once. This is a complete list. The names with stars are the ones that have also reported here in this thread (the ones without stars have reported in one of the other threads linked above). I will update the list as more people reply here.

So far, the issue seems to have been reported in serial numbers ranging anywhere from:
482XXXX to 493XXXX (black bodies)
and
2573XXX to 2578XXX (silver bodies)

The names with numbers indicate that the user has had more than one K3 body suffer with this problem.

list updated 11/7/14

aaalegre ✭
airjames ✭
adelante
Adrian Roman ✭ (version 1.10)
agchang ✭ (2 bodies effected)
audiobomber ✭
aurans ✭
A.Yzerr ✭
BarryE ✭
Barry Pearson ✭
bass3587 ✭
beachmama
BillO ✭
Black_Wizards ✭
boggytrack ✭
BorisAngelis ✭
bschafer ✭ (still having issue after 1.11 firmware upgrade)
bvanes ✭
carolina_sky
Circuits ✭
cminer52
Cyril_K5
dadipentak ✭
Darrell Raw ✭ (with firmware 1.10)
dave2k ✭ (post pentax/cris-fix!)
David&karen ✭
DC Cebula ✭
DennisH ✭
derekkite
dgrPhotos ✭
DimaM81 ✭
DimC
distudio ✭
dodel ✭
dosdan
DRabbit ✭ (2 bodies effected)
DonThomaso ✭
Dougg ✭ (with firmware 1.10)
Dreamsong ✭
eaglem
Edchristenson ✭
emiliogv ✭
Erd§ ✭
esancho
Essdubbya ✭
evansph ✭
fafo13 ✭
fcrespo ✭ (mirror-flapping seems to have caused camera to die completely)
felixkh ✭
fjeril ✭
Flasher ✭
Fussy Pentax User ✭
Geoff Ince ✭
geomez
Gerdup ✭
goubejp ✭
gryhnd ✭
gzub ✭
i_trax ✭
IanGD ✭
Ishpuini ✭
isnogud ✭
Jbinpg ✭
jhmos ✭
Joeberrio ✭
johnmflores ✭
Jon
karro ✭
Keebler ✭
K10DK7 ✭
Knotmetoo ✭
lambros ✭
Idnarb ✭
Leooel ✭
lightsource ✭
LimitedFan ✭
lisbon
Lotech
Mallee Boy ✭
mamethot ✭ (mirror-flapping seems to have caused debris to get stuck in viewfinder and on sensor)
mario_tr ✭
Martin_C ✭
MetteHHH ✭
mille19 ✭
MJSfoto1956
Mutters ✭
naboo
NicoleC ✭
normhead ✭
Nostrildamus ✭
nottsdavid ✭
OJGoreng ✭
PALADIN85020 ✭
Paul the Sunman ✭
PaulR100 ✭
pearsaab ✭
PentaxCats ✭
Peter Budd ✭
peterh337 ✭
philbaum ✭
Photodana
phreon ✭
pinbalwyz ✭ (mirror-flapping seems to have caused debris on sensor that cannot be removed)
Poit ✭
Prieni ✭
raider
rawc
ric83 ✭
RickC ✭
riseform ✭
Rite ✭
Rockville Bob ✭
rodeknyt ✭
Rondec ✭
rutster ✭ (2 bodies effected)
s76 ✭
Scotchman ✭
seppel13
sharepointalex
shiner ✭ (with version 1.11)
Sigmund ✭
slartibartfast ✭
sormel
Stagnant ✭
SteveUK (with firmware 1.10)
tabl10s ✭
TaiChiTom
Tapio Kekkonen ✭ (3 bodies effected)
TheBlindHog ✭
Thomas Backa
Tittan ✭
Tjompen1968 ✭
tram57 ✭
troenaas ✭ (body died a week later - possibly related, possibly not)
Twino4u
umber ✭
unearthimages ✭
unkipunki ✭
va5ja ✭
vrolok ✭ (with version 1.10)
walter ✭
WillWeaverRVA
Wired ✭
wizofoz
WPRESTO ✭
wpompen ✭
wtlwdwgn
YankeeDan ✭
Znapper (with firmware 1.10)

- - - - -

My report:

I Have Had Two K3s with The Issue.

K3 #1 was purchased in November, 2013.
K3 #2 was received from local retailer as exchange for first, in February, 2014. Serial #4859575

Crazy Mirror Sickness Occurred:

Problem has been a recurring one for me, when I shoot time-lapse photography. Has happened more times than I can count now.
Popping battery out stops the crazy mirror flapping.
Sometimes turning it on and off multiple times stops it.

Typical Settings/Setup When it Happens:

1 or 2 SD cards in the camera.
It has happened with several different brands SD cards.
Av or M mode
Interval of 3 or 4 seconds for 500-700 shots.
Shake Reduction Off (though has happened with it on)
Outdoors and Indoors
10ºF to 50ºF+
No battery grip. All genuine pentax batteries. Has happened with various batteries from old to new.
Has happened using Live View and not using Live View
WB typically set to "daylight"
JPG usually at Medium or Small
Focus is AF.S Select or Spot, but I switch to Manual before I start the time-lapse.

Crazy-Ass Mirror Sickness (CAMS) looks like this (second half of video):

Pentax K3 Locking Up... Crazy Mirror Flap Issue - YouTube
Had this problem yesterday!

Last edited by JacoDub; 08-13-2016 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Forgot to indicate the serial number of my K3, which is 4830458.
08-10-2016, 06:28 PM   #908
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
1. that my K-3 repair Precision received on July 1st is on it's way back to me?
2. that my K-3 will be repaired correctly, so quickly?

Unbelivable!

Got it back: 7/7/16
Seems good. If possible, the shutter "noise" seems to be smoother sounding, lower pitched(?)

"Explanation of Repairs:

AUTO FOCUS TEST, CHECK, RECALIBRATION AND REALIGNMENT
FIRMWARE DOWNLOAD: CORRECTIONS AND ADJUSTMENTS; ADDRESS VALUES MEASURED AND ADJUSTED
COMPLETE CLEANING (INTERNAL-EXTERNAL) AND OPTICAL SYSTEM"
Mine took a bit longer. It finally got in today.

Shipped out 7.13, arrived Fri 22nd. Repaired and shipped out to me on the 28th.

QuoteOriginally posted by JacoDub Quote
Had this problem yesterday!
In my experience, it will happen more frequently later on. Send it in if it's still under warranty.
08-11-2016, 05:04 PM   #909
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Today something "similar" to the Crazy Mirror Sickness happened with my fairly new K3 but I wonder, after having read lots of posts here on this thread, if that is the same thing:

As I was taking pictures** of a Merlin perched on a park "tower" (50 feet away), a machine gun-like firing of at least 10-12 successive "shots" happened.
It just stopped on its own and I could right away resume shooting without further problems.
I did not need to remove the battery to make it stop ... it just did on its own, as I mentioned.
** shooting burst mode "high"

1. Fully charged batteries in both the camera/grip.
2. Batteries/grip are genuine Pentax items.
3. The grip was actually turned OFF.
4. Camera set to TAv, AF-S, continuous high, focus priority (first and subsequent shots).
5. Lens used: DA*300/4 (no TC).

Camera serial number: 6262592
No. of actuations: 3309

Does this seem to be the "real" Crazy Mirror Sickness (or Mirror Flapping Lockup) ?

Thanks for comments/advice.

Cheers!
08-11-2016, 07:48 PM - 1 Like   #910

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Does this seem to be the "real" Crazy Mirror Sickness (or Mirror Flapping Lockup) ?
I believe one of the more recent FW updates made it so the camera would recognize the mirror sickness and stop it on its own. I've had the sickness on two or three occasions, then after the new FW came out I noticed once or twice what you had occur. It goes for a very short while and corrects itself and is again ready for use.

Sounds like your camera is prone to the sickness, but the FW came to the rescue. Just my thoughts.
08-11-2016, 10:51 PM   #911
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, that's it. However, for now I'd just look on this as an "occurrence" rather than "sickness". I've had it happen to me once, some time ago, with > 12,000 shutter actuations since. Unless it starts happening to you on a regular basis, I don't think you need to be concerned. Plus, the firmware did its job in stopping the problem (there is indeed a routine that looks for this behaviour and stops it)
08-12-2016, 07:05 AM   #912
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aikilink Quote
I believe one of the more recent FW updates made it so the camera would recognize the mirror sickness and stop it on its own. I've had the sickness on two or three occasions, then after the new FW came out I noticed once or twice what you had occur. It goes for a very short while and corrects itself and is again ready for use.

Sounds like your camera is prone to the sickness, but the FW came to the rescue. Just my thoughts.
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Yep, that's it. However, for now I'd just look on this as an "occurrence" rather than "sickness". I've had it happen to me once, some time ago, with > 12,000 shutter actuations since. Unless it starts happening to you on a regular basis, I don't think you need to be concerned. Plus, the firmware did its job in stopping the problem (there is indeed a routine that looks for this behaviour and stops it)
Thanks guys.

The firmware version is 1.21 so I assume this would be it.
If (when?) it happens I will certainly ask for more advice.

Cheers!
08-12-2016, 07:53 AM   #913
Veteran Member

My K3 is fairly "recent" too and I also get these "ocasional bursts" that don't produce any files. I do however use the camera mostly for spots - thus gunning it all the time. Sounds like all K3-s are prone to it, but they've kinda solved it through the firmware.
08-14-2016, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #914
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I got my K3 'fixed' 20 months ago and it has not misbehaved since.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-03-2016, 04:08 PM   #915
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Today something "similar" to the Crazy Mirror Sickness happened with my fairly new K3 but I wonder, after having read lots of posts here on this thread, if that is the same thing:

As I was taking pictures** of a Merlin perched on a park "tower" (50 feet away), a machine gun-like firing of at least 10-12 successive "shots" happened.
It just stopped on its own and I could right away resume shooting without further problems.
I did not need to remove the battery to make it stop ... it just did on its own, as I mentioned.
** shooting burst mode "high"

1. Fully charged batteries in both the camera/grip.
2. Batteries/grip are genuine Pentax items.
3. The grip was actually turned OFF.
4. Camera set to TAv, AF-S, continuous high, focus priority (first and subsequent shots).
5. Lens used: DA*300/4 (no TC).

Camera serial number: 6262592
No. of actuations: 3309

Thanks for comments/advice.

Cheers!
QuoteOriginally posted by aikilink Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Thanks guys.

The firmware version is 1.21 so I assume this would be it.
If (when?) it happens I will certainly ask for more advice.

Cheers!
UPDATE No. 2:

The machine gun-like "burst" happened again today. Roughly a dozen of "shots".
It stopped without having to remove/insert the battery.
Same details as my original post (quoted here) with 4500 actuations now.
Since this has happened twice in a rather short period (1200 actuations between the first and this recent one), does anyone think that this could be/become a real problem and that I should send it to Pentax before the warranty period is over?
Or should I just not bother since it (the "burst") stops on its own ?

Cheers! and thanks for any advice.