Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2014, 07:41 PM   #226

Photos: Albums
I was doing a shoot on Sunday using a K3 SE, so it had original Pentax batteries. Lens was a Sigma 100-300mm EX. Av mode at 100 ISO. It burst into the mirror flap mode and although I immediately switched of at the power switch, like others have stated, it did not stop the rattle. I then quickly started to undo the grip in an effort to remove the battery in the body. It stopped flapping and upon re-attaching the grip and switching on, continued to work fine for the rest of the day.

No idea what the cause was. It was the second event I've had with the K3. The first was just a total freeze up that needed the grip and camera battery removed.

Love the camera but not happy with issues like this.

Come on Ricoh, let's have this issue resolved please.

Camera serial No. 2573653

Best regards

Last edited by K10DK7; 05-15-2014 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Addition of serial No.
05-15-2014, 06:52 AM   #227

Finally I received the K3 fixed. It had failed after a Mirror Flapping Lockup and did not power on again.

I sent it for warranty repair on 3rd March, from Italy to France. Returned today 15th May. It really has been too long.

See attached the repair report. It seems they replaced several parts: main circuit, flash circuit and "deffective assembly", whatever it means.

I surely would have been a happier custumer by getting a full camera replacement instead, in much shorter time. But the camera is back, and that is good. No mirror flapping seen so far.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4S  Photo 
05-15-2014, 08:52 AM   #228

First week with the K-3

I have encounter the runaway mirror syndrome. This is my first week with the K-3 Premium Silver Edition. The temp was 45F at 79% relative humidity. Firmware updated to 1.03. Both the K-3 and battery grip had the batteries loaded and turned on. The camera was programed in interval movie record mode at 2 sec intervals in full HD with live view. Photos were taken for about 20 min before the mirror flapping began. Turning the off switch stopped it after a few seconds. The gear used in the camera set up was new Pentax branded equipment except for a SanDisk card in slot #1

2 x Pentax Li-Ion battery D-LI90
Pentax OFC-1 16GB FluCard for Pentax K3
SanDisk 8GB SDHC memory card
HD PENTAX DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED WR
05-16-2014, 06:47 AM   #229
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fcrespo Quote
Finally I received the K3 fixed. It had failed after a Mirror Flapping Lockup and did not power on again.

I sent it for warranty repair on 3rd March, from Italy to France. Returned today 15th May. It really has been too long.

See attached the repair report. It seems they replaced several parts: main circuit, flash circuit and "deffective assembly", whatever it means.

I surely would have been a happier custumer by getting a full camera replacement instead, in much shorter time. But the camera is back, and that is good. No mirror flapping seen so far.
---------------------------------------

Crossing fingers for you the 'fix' fixed it.

The K-3 was in repair limbo for nearly 2 and 1/2 months. Completely unacceptable. Continuing to watch this thread out of amazement of Ricoh's failure to address the Pentax K-3 customers. There may never be a K-4 if this keeps up.

05-17-2014, 11:04 PM   #230

After 1st incident in beginning of april (as I reported here), yesterday my k-3 went in machine gun mode again. About 30 minutes before a lot of pictures were taken.
The original Pentax battery was nearly empty. After removing it for some seconds everything was ok.
I didn't replace the low battery, but there was no more mirror flapping for the rest of the day.
05-18-2014, 10:40 AM   #231

Interesting here to note that some of the forum members try to declare this (in my opinion serious) lack of reliability into the corner of "random" issues and triviality. This seems to be a typical trait of Ricoh/Pentax and there hardcore believers. I consider such attitude at least as questionable.
05-18-2014, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #232
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WaveDancer Quote
Interesting here to note that some of the forum members try to declare this (in my opinion serious) lack of reliability into the corner of "random" issues and triviality. This seems to be a typical trait of Ricoh/Pentax and there hardcore believers. I consider such attitude at least as questionable.
I see you've met the human race.

You will see that in forums for all brands among the hard core believers.

05-18-2014, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #233
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WaveDancer Quote
Without any real data as to the scope of the problem, it is all but impossible to say whether this is truly a "serious" problem or not. Of course, if it happens to you, it is serious, at least to you.

Just how big is this "serious problem" anyway? 100% of all cameras sold? .1%? .01%?, .001%? There is no way to know. Do you even own a K3 or even any Pentax camera? if not, why even bother to make this comment, other than trolling that is?

It is just a camera, not life and death.

It comes with a warranty,

If it fails, send it in and get it repaired or replaced just like you would if your car breaks down or your dishwasher stops working.

Otherwise if you cannot deal with possible failure, buy another brand (like Nikon, which never has problems I hear ), or never buy anything because of fear that it might break.

Ray
05-18-2014, 11:09 PM   #234

Perhaps, I'm one of "there[sic!] hardcore believers", but, eh.. I support Ray's take on the situation.
If this is a "vote or die" question for you - there are numerous brands out there, that [apparently] provide much more reliable gear. Use them; when I bought my K-3 (with the issue, mind you), no one forced me to sign in blood "never to touch other camera again, or else!"
It isn't a car. One's life is not depending on this, or if it is - trust me, that person has far bigger issues to deal with than a floppy mirror.

I'm not trying to downplay the issue. There is one. What I won't do is mounting a crusade because of it.
05-18-2014, 11:36 PM   #235
Veteran Member

Happened to me on Friday. Using latest software and camera had a fresh battery, freshly formatted 32gb sandisc extreme pro and the flu card loaded up. For ten frames and then the camera went shutter crazy. Wouldn't turn back on for about an hour afterward. Disappointing

---------- Post added 05-19-2014 at 12:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Pulley Quote
Otherwise if you cannot deal with possible failure, buy another brand (like Nikon, which never has problems I hear ), or never buy anything because of fear that it might break.

Ray

Lol. Agreed. My D800 and AFS 24-70 2.8 have been sent to Nikon three and two. I've never sent in a Pentax unless I did the breaking.
05-19-2014, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #236
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

From some of the replies here....from being an "asset" to being a small irritant.....it appears there is little need for Ricoh to address this "minor inconvenience"? (and so far they haven't!) Is that accurate? I have always expected things I purchase, in particular more expensive items, to operate as intended. Am I somehow out of touch with the new age of consumers?

I've had good results from most of my Pentax gear, excluding faulty SDM lenses, and don't look to knock the products, but I'll be damn if I would make excuses for such a major problem. Just my two cents, I know it wasn't asked for and was probably not welcome, but a little reality might bring some of you back to the real world where people that sell high dollar gear are held accountable, and quickly. If this is the new Ricoh/Pentax, how is it better than the old Hoya/Pentax...other than higher prices?

Regards!
05-19-2014, 11:44 AM   #237
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Pulley Quote
why even bother to make this comment, other than trolling that is?
This thread is for people who want to report a problem. Why not leave it (the thread) at that?

Oh wait - you answered my question.
05-19-2014, 01:36 PM   #238
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
This thread is for people who want to report a problem. Why not leave it (the thread) at that?
Report a problem ?

To who do 'they' think there reporting.

I'd be reporting my problem in person to the shop I purchased the faulty goods from ..... As Rupert asks has something changed in the word of consumerism where you rant on a web forum and someone fixes your issue ??

What do you reckon which (200 moans in a web thread or 200 returned cameras ) is going to get a manafacturers interest ?
05-19-2014, 02:08 PM   #239
Veteran Member

This thread gives people who have experienced a problem like this a resource - information, suggestions etc. This thread is also collecting data on a fairly large number of episodes which, as I understand it, will be collected and forwarded to Ricoh via one of their representatives to help them figure out how to fix it. Anybody who has experienced this problem can also return it to the store from which it came, and at least some have. But it does no harm to also submit their data to a collective pool.

If you don't like the point of the thread, why do you keep coming back? I don't think that anyone submitting their data here needs to be scolded by you. Surely there is public house somewhere in Hampshire at whose denizens you can rail.

Full disclosure - I only come back to this thread because of the you and the other `scolders'. I don't have a K3. (And there is no decent public house where I live )
05-19-2014, 03:49 PM   #240

QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
Anybody who has experienced this problem can also return it to the store from which it came, and at least some have.
Actually, not really. From my experience, they generally direct you to the manufacturer to repair rather than handle anything on their side. Assuming the purchase isn't within the standard 30 day period anyway.

Though I'm still shocked as to why there are so many down players all around. It's almost as if there's a magical world in some people's mind where if you sit by quietly and act good Ricoh will pat you on the head and reward you.