Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2014, 09:00 AM   #526

Mirror overrun with manual lenses

I wonder if anyone has seen the mirror misbehavior with manual lenses, say, with a Takumar? Or something that doesn't short the contacts?

08-15-2014, 01:13 PM   #527

Is there any indication of affected batches specific to where the camera was purchased? Like if serial numbers A to B from Canada, C to D from United States, X to Y from Japan, retailer, west coast, east coast, etc. Or would serial numbers not be an indicator of where the cameras go leaving the factory? It would be useful to map out the prevalence of this issue rather than simply compile a long list of affected individuals.
08-18-2014, 09:48 AM   #528
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K3 serial # 4867801 firmware 1.03 i got 4k pics and about 4-5 times when shutter went crazy, only battery removal stopped it, didnt notice any correlation between accidents
08-19-2014, 04:14 AM   #529

I bet Ricoh will invest, develop and focus in future only in mirrorless cameras for the consumer market! I doubt the mirror flapping issues will ever get resolved.

08-19-2014, 04:33 AM - 1 Like   #530
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WaveDancer Quote
I bet Ricoh will invest, develop and focus in future only in mirrorless cameras for the consumer market! I doubt the mirror flapping issues will ever get resolved.
I don't think it is a problem with the mirror. IMO the flapping mirror is a symptom of a CPU problem.

A6000 fault: Sony Alpha/NEX E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
08-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #531

I had the 'machine gun' problem after 2360 exposures, serial # 4850xxx, firmware 1.10, aperture priority, DA* 16-50/2.8 lens, recently charged original Pentax battery, SanDisk Ultra 32 GB in both slots, AF mode (but I have the AF on the AF button only, not on the trigger and used manual focus (have to with my 16-50)). Temperature was about 17°C.
First occurrence ever, no problems so far since I bought the camera in January 2014.
08-19-2014, 04:38 PM   #532

I thought I should report back in.

I sent my K-3 body in to C.R.I.S for repair, specifically for the mirror flapping issue.

I received the body back, and took it on a road trip. 4,653 shots later, I haven't had the issue again. Granted this is a fairly small sample size, I received the error fairly often previously - so I'm under the assumption the fix applied resolved something.

Waiting to see if I get the issue again.

08-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #533
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I don't think it is a problem with the mirror. IMO the flapping mirror is a symptom of a CPU problem.

A6000 fault: Sony Alpha/NEX E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
I believe so. If you look at the complaints of users of other models they end up with the same mirror flap problem. There must be a fault in the designs of the CPUs resulting to mirror flaps. Others here have upgraded their software to 1.10 and still end up with the same problem. It's sad to say that it only happens to 1% and the others are okay. If you happened to be one of those 1% of the population this will really irritate you because you know you will end up having your camera in the repair shop.
08-20-2014, 10:33 AM   #534
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by A.Yzerr Quote

I sent my K-3 body in to C.R.I.S for repair, specifically for the mirror flapping issue.

I received the body back, and took it on a road trip. 4,653 shots later, I haven't had the issue again. Granted this is a fairly small sample size, I received the error fairly often previously - so I'm under the assumption the fix applied resolved something.

This is good news! Although I haven't used mine near as much as you since getting the correction at C.R.I.S., I've had no further incidences either. With 4,653 shots after your repair, it looks like we're home free from the mirror flap problem.

I hope that anyone who has had the problem again post-"fix" will report it here right away. I haven't seen any such reports yet, which is a really good sign that the "fix" actually "fixed" it!

John
08-20-2014, 11:02 AM   #535

Great news! What was the turnaround time? I'm in the thick of senior portraits and can't give it up right now, but want to get it out ASAP.
08-20-2014, 10:31 PM   #536

QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
This is good news! Although I haven't used mine near as much as you since getting the correction at C.R.I.S., I've had no further incidences either. With 4,653 shots after your repair, it looks like we're home free from the mirror flap problem.

I hope that anyone who has had the problem again post-"fix" will report it here right away. I haven't seen any such reports yet, which is a really good sign that the "fix" actually "fixed" it!

John
That's definitely what I'm hoping!

I haven't tried time-lapsing or anything like that, but I've definitely put mine through its paces since I got it back.

QuoteOriginally posted by gryhnd Quote
Great news! What was the turnaround time? I'm in the thick of senior portraits and can't give it up right now, but want to get it out ASAP.
I sent it in July 2nd, got it back July 17th. Faster than I expected. Though I should note that I had them run AF diagnostics and lens calibrations for 2 lenses + the body as well, so I'm uncertain what sort of a turn around just the mirror fix would have.

I do have to say, C.R.I.S had exceptional customer service during the entire process.
08-21-2014, 12:43 PM   #537
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I sent it in July 2nd, got it back July 17th. Faster than I expected. Though I should note that I had them run AF diagnostics and lens calibrations for 2 lenses + the body as well, so I'm uncertain what sort of a turn around just the mirror fix would have.

I do have to say, C.R.I.S had exceptional customer service during the entire process.
Too bad C.R.I.S. is no longer the Ricoh/Pentax service facility for the U.S. The contract is now held by Precision Camera Repair in Connecticut.

Steve
08-21-2014, 07:11 PM   #538

Photos: Albums
And so...

It finally happened today. Normal shooting day, sometimes AV, tried out TAV a bit. Only 100 shots taken with no abnormal environmental issues (sunny, lower humidity, 50s-60s, sea level, etc.). Battery was worn a bit by the end, but no more than it has been in the past. Immediately knew what was happening due to YouTube videos, so pulled battery and carried on.

Here are the details:
Original purchase: December '13
Serial: 4834250
Shutter Count: 17918
SD Card: Exceria Type 2 32 Gb with SanDisk Extreme 32 in slot 2. Exceria had probably 16Gb already on it.
Battery: Bower 2400mAh battery (no issues with this or Pentax battery over life of camera. Also higher rated than Pentax battery.)

Frame immediately preceding has the following EXIF info:
Lens: Pentax 18-135
Focal length: 115
Shutter: 1/200
Aperture: f8
Mode: AV
Metering: Center-weighted
W/B: Auto
ISO: 100
File type: RAW

Was hoping that I was immune to this issue, since I have had good luck in all different modes on this camera. Gonna send it in for repair after I purchase a backup sometime in the next couple of weeks. A bit disappointed, since this camera has been my baby for the last year.

I'd be interested to hear what the actual repair consists of.
08-21-2014, 07:22 PM   #539
Pentaxian

If it happens once per year and inconveniences you for 1 minute, how long would you be prepared for it to be away for repairs?
08-21-2014, 08:41 PM   #540

It does not matter how long it inconvenienced someone. It did, probably causing a missed shot (or more).

I expect to have no downtime. I expect the unit to work like my other Pentax products have worked for the past few decades. Reliably.

So, until the fix is proved, either a serial number sequence without such errors, or by proof that 1.10 fixes the issue, I'll be holding my money & not buying a K3.