Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2014, 10:28 AM   #556
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Post-repair mirror flap occurrence

My K-3 has experienced the mirror flap issue post-CRIS repair. I was shooting in manual mode and the rapid fire mirror action occurred exactly as it did before the repair. I just checked my firmware version and it is 1.03, as set by CRIS. I'll try returning to the most recent firmware that I had installed prior to the repair. I'll also follow-up with Ricoh support as soon as I can to report the return of this issue as I had previously communicated with them prior to sending the camera in for the fix. Somewhat disappointed, but I will continue to enjoy taking great pictures with this camera as it meets my needs quite well.

08-31-2014, 12:48 PM   #557
Veteran Member

Dave, what did CRIS say that they repaired for you?
09-01-2014, 05:49 PM   #558
Veteran Member

Repair

The shipping document I received when the camera was returned states "Repaired Reflex Mirror Overrun Problem, Cleaned and Checked to Manufacturer's Specifications."
09-01-2014, 08:48 PM   #559
Veteran Member

Thanks, Dave. Too bad they didn't give more details. And sorry that you're still having troubles...must be frustrating! Please keep us posted.

09-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #560
Veteran Member

I heard back from Pentax Support and they advised me to update the firmware to the latest version, 1.11, and monitor the camera for further occurrences of the mirror problem. If the problem recurs, they've advised me to send it back for service again. I suspect they may think the first repair might not have been performed correctly as there's no reason to repeat the same fix if it didn't work with either version of the firmware.
09-07-2014, 12:58 AM   #561

I have a K3 I bought recently. I am learning the issue seems to have been reported in serial numbers ranging anywhere from: 482XXXX to 493XXXX. My camera is a 394XXXX. No issue yet but I never pushed the camera with very demanding operation (no time lapse, no intensive shooting...). Do you believe that there are not reports in this range as there was already a hardware fix, or just there are less cameras around in this range ant the issue will come out as well? Just keeping my fingers crossed... Thanks
09-07-2014, 01:17 AM   #562
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Is it just me, or did this thread die after 1.11 was released?

09-07-2014, 01:19 AM   #563
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by phatio Quote
I have a K3 I bought recently. I am learning the issue seems to have been reported in serial numbers ranging anywhere from: 482XXXX to 493XXXX. My camera is a 394XXXX. No issue yet but I never pushed the camera with very demanding operation (no time lapse, no intensive shooting...). Do you believe that there are not reports in this range as there was already a hardware fix, or just there are less cameras around in this range ant the issue will come out as well? Just keeping my fingers crossed... Thanks
Pentax mak number are not sequential so any sequential range is not sensible to define build levels your camera could have been made between 485xxxx and 486xxxxx.
09-07-2014, 11:04 AM   #564
Veteran Member

Savoche, indeed we yet have to hear about or experience the sickness since 1.11...
09-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #565

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Pentax mak number are not sequential so any sequential range is not sensible to define build levels your camera could have been made between 485xxxx and 486xxxxx.
Ok thanks, in this case it would make more sense to collect data on manufacturing data rather than on serial number
09-07-2014, 01:20 PM   #566
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you saying that the number stamped on the bottom of the camera has no serial (sequential) component? Do you have a key as to what the number means or a reference?

BTW...what is a "mak number"?

Steve
09-07-2014, 01:29 PM   #567
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That would be a very weird (random) way to set serial numbers on thousands of cameras ... ?
09-07-2014, 04:52 PM   #568
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
That would be a very weird (random) way to set serial numbers on thousands of cameras ... ?
I think I may understand what he was saying. According to the serial number database on this site, the Limited Edition Silver bodies have serial numbers in the form 257xxxx. Black bodies are in the form 48xxxxx and 49xxxxx. Phatio has one in the range 394xxxx (Prestige Edition?). It is likely that the first couple of digits indicate specific production runs.

Steve

(...to muddy things further, there is an internal serial number that is included in the exif that is different from that on the bottom of the camera...)

---------- Post added 09-07-14 at 04:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Is it just me, or did this thread die after 1.11 was released?
One can only hope

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-07-2014 at 04:59 PM.
09-07-2014, 06:31 PM   #569
Pentaxian

Has anyone reported an occurrence in the Prestige Edition?
09-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #570
Inactive Account

I had this experience yesterday (7 Sept 2014) with a silver ed K3. software v 1.03. have just update to v1.11. and have yet to test camera with new software.
Now I may be off on a tangent here but when this happened I was taking photo's of a football game, I was standing under a cluster of Mobile Phone Antennas.
I was not using a Flu, or eyefi card and did not have a sd. card in the second slot.
As there seem no pattern to the camera settings I wonder if there could be interference to camera electronics from an external source such as Mobile phone towers, high power radio sources. Just a thought. my apologies if this point has been raised before.