Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 96 Likes Search this Thread
12-05-2014, 02:26 AM   #646
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Your k-5II is exhibiting some mirror slap on occasions? That's the first time I heard it. So far others have said that the K-5II and IIs are the most dependable Pentax cameras. Have you documented it?

12-08-2014, 11:58 AM   #647

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Your k-5II is exhibiting some mirror slap on occasions? That's the first time I heard it. So far others have said that the K-5II and IIs are the most dependable Pentax cameras. Have you documented it?
Yes, first time I've heard of it too. To be clear, "mirror slap" is when it sounds like the mirror is doing a double tap. Sometimes with a delay. Yes?

No, I have not documented it. I noticed it at a few events, but it's not consistent and I didn't have an opportunity to make note of all conditions etc. I can say it was not limited to one lens though.
12-08-2014, 03:25 PM   #648

QuoteOriginally posted by gryhnd Quote
Yes, first time I've heard of it too. To be clear, "mirror slap" is when it sounds like the mirror is doing a double tap. Sometimes with a delay. Yes?
Well, years ago my K100D started doing this when I used the green button, but only with manual lenses that didn't touch the contacts. I sent it back to Pentax, and weeks later, it came back with a diagnosis of "mirror pre-fire", and they claimed they replaced a logic board. A few weeks later, the problem returned (so much for the logic board replacement claim!), so I gave the K100D to someone else who didn't use manual lenses, and then I bought a K20D. Even my K20D did it a few times, too, over the several years I had it. I don't think Pentax tests their cameras with old manual lenses that well (or even at all?).
12-08-2014, 04:32 PM   #649
Pentaxian

Well I have a K-5II and I hope it won't happen to me. This is terrible. No matter what we say, people would normally do some research before they buy cameras and for sure, they will come across what we're discussing. In some other thread here someone said mirror flap is plaguing Pentax cameras. I strongly believe that when I buy a camera, I would like it to be dependable. PENTAX PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS.

12-08-2014, 05:23 PM   #650

I wouldn't panic yet I'm pretty sure I have a high shutter count...whether that's related or not I dunno...but I've used this K5-IIs one hell of a lot. Could be wear and tear. I really need to find some time and sit down and gather my thoughts/info on it.
12-10-2014, 05:10 AM   #651

All I can say is that since the firmware upgrade I've shot 4500 or so frames with no reoccurence of mirror flap. Had 3 episodes in 2300 frames before that.
12-10-2014, 05:24 AM   #652
Pentaxian

Which camera are you using k-5IIs or K-3?

12-10-2014, 05:38 AM   #653

K-3, sorry
12-10-2014, 11:51 AM   #654
Veteran Member

My K3 is SN 4874121. I've only had one instance of the mirror flapping going on to the extent of needing to pull the battery to get it to stop. But running out of warranty so sent it in yesterday. Ricoh, USA, referred me to the Precision Camera Co. and they provide a simple form to fill out before shipping the camera. Only thing was, their comment section seemed related to shipping comments, and then later i figured out that was the area to report what the repair problem was. So went back and submitted another form, copied that and enclosed the forms with the shipping box. Pretty effortless. Luckily I have the K5 to use as a backup :-)

I'm not upset about this - i've bought 4 cameras and several lenses from Pentax, this is the only one item i've had to send back.
12-10-2014, 04:39 PM   #655
Veteran Member

Keep us posted, Phil. I've heard mixed results with Precision, so feedback will be helpful. Try to get them to tell you exactly what they replace, if possible. Good luck!
12-12-2014, 09:45 AM   #656

any word on how long the new repair center is taking to do their "fix"?
I have two K-3's that have both done the run away shutter issue, upgraded the firmware but i want to send them in before i run out of warranty.
12-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #657
Inactive Account

New Software

I thought that in the latest version of the downloadable software, this issue was resolved and that there is no need for the camera body to be sent in anymore.
12-12-2014, 04:56 PM   #658
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DC Cebula Quote
I thought that in the latest version of the downloadable software, this issue was resolved and that there is no need for the camera body to be sent in anymore.
You were misinformed. No claims were made by Ricoh regarding firmware v1.11, though it apparently was intended to detect a runaway mirror state and shut things down. I mitigates the symptom, but does not cure the cause. Unfortunately there is still an issue with missed shot (blank frame) associated. The fix is still to send the camera for service where they will do a low-level re-flash of the mirror control module.

There is some evidence that recent production runs (since this last summer) have updated controllers and are free of the issue from the factory

Steve
12-12-2014, 08:15 PM   #659
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You were misinformed. No claims were made by Ricoh regarding firmware v1.11, though it apparently was intended to detect a runaway mirror state and shut things down. I mitigates the symptom, but does not cure the cause. Unfortunately there is still an issue with missed shot (blank frame) associated. The fix is still to send the camera for service where they will do a low-level re-flash of the mirror control module.

There is some evidence that recent production runs (since this last summer) have updated controllers and are free of the issue from the factory

Steve
Thanks for the information. I sent my 1st K3 in a while back for the fix. I got a 2nd K3 a month or so ago from B&H. Have not had the mirror issue as yet.
12-13-2014, 03:59 AM   #660

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve

My camera was manufactured on June'14 and came with 1.11 pre-installed. I'm curious how it came with a fw released in August. In any case, my serial no. is 6035911 and I'll post here if I come across any issue. Hope none of it occurs.