Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 96 Likes Search this Thread
02-26-2015, 10:17 AM   #706
Veteran Member

Hate to mention that but can we all please stay on topic here? This thread is only to report a specific problem with K3, not for general discussions about Ricoh customer service in Canada.

02-26-2015, 01:07 PM   #707
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by danny09 Quote
Hate to mention that but can we all please stay on topic here? This thread is only to report a specific problem with K3, not for general discussions about Ricoh customer service in Canada.
The original purpose of the thread has been resolved. There's a problem with mirror flap on some K-3 bodies. If you have the problem, send it to Ricoh for a firmware update.
02-26-2015, 04:00 PM   #708
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
... I telephoned Sun Camera yesterday, the new service contractor for Ricoh Pentax Canada. The tech assured me they were aware of the problem and the non-user-implementable firmware solution. I have a backup K20D and a Sony a6000. Winter weather, no birds and no upcoming events means it's as good a time as any to be without my main shooter, so I sent it in for repair.
audiobomber, could you let us know when you get it back? I'm curious about turnaround on this issue, given the horror stories that are floating around about warranty service in Canada... If mine starts exhibiting the problem more regularly, I might want to send it in too.
02-26-2015, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #709
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
audiobomber, could you let us know when you get it back? I'm curious about turnaround on this issue, given the horror stories that are floating around about warranty service in Canada... If mine starts exhibiting the problem more regularly, I might want to send it in too.
Sorry, I can't tell you when I get it back. That is not the purpose of this thread.

OK, I will, but If I were you, I'd send it in before the warranty expires.

02-27-2015, 11:25 AM   #710
Veteran Member

That would be in november 2015 at the earliest in the great white north...
02-28-2015, 02:02 AM   #711
Pentaxian

So as of today the "final" word about this issue is that it has been at least mitigated with the latest (user installable) firmware; probably to the point where it should only show up very rarely (often in conjunction with a depleted battery) and the result of the bug will simply be a couple mirror flops and an unreadable file, no damage whatsoever to the camera.

So one could just live with it, if indeed it occurs say twice a year or so (of course it's just a random number to give the idea ). If one has a more severe case and it happens more frequently, it is advisable to send the camera to Ricoh for repair. Is this more or less the whole story ?

I'm interested because after finally getting to try a K-S1 in a shop (K-S2, which i am interested in, hasn't shipped yet in my country) , i feel like i'd prefer a larger body with a control layout more similar to my k200D, and i can find a K-3 body only for just a tad more than the K-S2 + 18-50 at launch price.

However...it comes with a standard "European" 2 year warranty and not with the 4 year coverage offered by the official distributor in my country (which comes at the expense of a sizeable price premium).

So i am particularly concerned with the possibility the camera needs to be repaired for this issue in the future Thanks for your advice
02-28-2015, 07:42 AM   #712
Forum Member

So, here is my experience so far with Sun Camera and Ricoh (and yes, I think this is pertinent information for Canadians with this issue). I phones Sun on the 13th to discuss options as I have a tight schedule to get the camera fixed before a 4 week trip with photography as the main focus. At first they seemed not to give much of a damn about my deadline but when I asked how long it took to do the service I was told that it took less than an hour. I asked that if I drove down (4hr round trip) the following Tuesday would it be possible to have it ready for the following Thursday for me to pick up. I was told yes. So early on Tuesday the 17th, I drove the 2 hours and left the camera off with them. I was unable to return on Thursday, and indeed not until this coming Monday, so I called them Friday morning to let them know. I was told it was not done yet. When I asked when, they said maybe later next week. When I asked if it could be ready for Tuesday, I was told probably not. I told him I needed it by Tuesday afternoon as I had to board a plane on Wednesday morning for a month long trip where I needed the camera and added this was not what we had originally agreed on. They reply was either 'hmmm' or 'meh', or some other muffled grump of disinterest.

Well, truly pissed off and at the point of apoplexy, I called Ricoh. it was about 10:30 am and I spoke to a Jeff there who said he was from the customer satisfaction group. He 'sounded' very concerned and opened a case for me, gave me a tracking number and said someone would call Sun and get back to me in a couple of hours. Well, I waited until 4:45 for that call and it never came. I tried to call Ricoh back at the same number I got through on earlier, but no one picked up. I left a message and no one called back.

So, I will try Ricoh again on Monday. However, the experience so far has me feeling I am about to waste another 4 hrs of my life driving to go an pick up my unrepaired camera on Tuesday from those A-Holes at Sun. 8 hours driving and $75 in gas for absolutely nothing.

Customer satisfaction my f'n ass!

Last edited by BillO; 02-28-2015 at 07:47 AM.
03-04-2015, 03:46 AM   #713

I just purchased a new K3. Serial is 6098206. Camera came with firmware version 1.11.

My local camera store, while employing a great bunch of folks, is not the kind of store where you would expect they would go into stock and update camera firmware before selling. IOW, the only likely scenario is that the store received the camera from Pentax distributor with current firmware already installed.

Is it likely that the "reflash" of the shutter software has already been performed on this camera? Is there any way to tell, other than crossing my fingers and waiting to see if it acts up?

I guess another scenario is that this is a return, and previous purchaser did the update.
03-04-2015, 06:52 AM   #714
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tennjed Quote
IOW, the only likely scenario is that the store received the camera from Pentax distributor with current firmware already installed.

Is it likely that the "reflash" of the shutter software has already been performed on this camera? Is there any way to tell, other than crossing my fingers and waiting to see if it acts up?
As far as I know, most recent K-3's have shipped with FW1.11 (see here). Mine, purchased last November in Canada, certainly did. If you read upthread, you'll see the FW update mitigates the mirror flap issue, but is not an actual fix. It will perform a camera reset as soon as the mirror starts flapping, but won't prevent that from happening. If, despite this, your camera acts up to an unacceptable degree, you need to send it in. Word is the actual fix is a firmware update for an internal camera part and is not user-performable. It is unclear whether or not (or at which point) Ricoh has made this (non-user performable) update a standard part of newly manufactured K-3s. It appears that even K-3s manufactured fairly recently (late 2014) and which came with camera firmware V1.11 can exhibit this condition, though it now seems to occur exceedingly rarely and with FW1.11 it won't damage your camera should it occur. At worse, you'll lose a few shots because of the reset. Again, please read upthread a couple of pages.

Last edited by Doundounba; 03-04-2015 at 08:02 AM.
03-04-2015, 10:57 AM   #715

Photos: Gallery
Mirror flap update

Hi all
I bought an other K3.silver edition
It was 10wks old and had only 2000 actuations it had the latest FW 1.11 it had the mirror flap issue and completely locked up.
it has now gone back to Pentax, my serial number 2576211 it was one of the earlier batch according to serial.

what I have found out
The 1.11 FW Does not fix the problem what it does is shut the camera down and resets it as far as I have read on internet.

but if the problem persists you have to get onto Pentax and send it in so they can do an,
internal FW update which alters the clock cycle within the camera and can only be done with Pentax engineer

again this is what I have read online.

Pentax does know about the problem since last year but were reluctant to admit it.
I'm sure we have all read about Amy Medina problems with her K3. or should I say several K3 cameras she had problem with.
she should be thanked for all the work time and effort she put into getting Pentax to admit there was a problem.

even if your camera is out of guarantee they should still fix it as it is a manufacturing fault, and as far as I'm concerned
they should have called all the batch of cameras with the fault back to be sorted.

Pentax is counting how much money they will save if they only have to fix the few that complain.
and the ones that FW 1.11 does not sort out

so I will hope to get a perfect camera back from Pentax

I love my Pentax.
Tom G
03-04-2015, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #716
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom777 Quote
I'm sure we have all read about Amy Medina problems with her K3. or should I say several K3 cameras she had problem with.
she should be thanked for all the work time and effort she put into getting Pentax to admit there was a problem.
Yes, Amy started this thread, though she is no longer maintaining the affected user list.

even if your camera is out of guarantee they should still fix it as it is a manufacturing faultand as far as I'm concerned
they should have called all the batch of cameras with the fault back to be sorted.
To the best of my knowledge, that is not the case. Out-of-warranty repairs are not being paid by Ricoh. Despite all the attention this issue has received, the incidence is relatively low and not worthy of a general recall. It is definitely not of the same magnitude as the K-5 mirror flop and sensor stain issues from a few years back or even the current aperture actuator problems plaguing the K-30/K-50 models. Sadly, the industry standard for serious defect appears to be about 3-5% of dSLR cameras going out the door. This is true across brands and has been the norm for the decade or so I have had access to that data from Consumer Reports' Web site. The only general dSLR recall I am aware of was with the Nikon D600 model last year for sensor contamination issues. (This year's D750 recall was from dealer stock only.)

When users mention they have had runaway/crazy mirror with an in-warranty camera, I strongly suggest they send it in for the fix regardless of how often the issue comes up. Once the warranty expires, Ricoh has no liability. I also suggest that new Pentax owners in North America purchase the two year warranty extension. It is less than $30 USD...such a deal!

Steve
03-04-2015, 01:05 PM   #717

Hi Stevebrot
I never said Out-of-warranty repairs are PAID by Ricoh ( PLEASE DON.T MISS QUOTO ME )
( what I said
(even if your camera is out of guarantee they should still fix it as it is a manufacturing fault, and as far as I'm
concerned they should have called all the batch of cameras with the fault back to be sorted.) The incident is not relatively low

RICOH HAS A RESPONSIABLITY THIS IS A MANUFATURING FAULT, AND HERE IN THE U.K. THE GOODS ARE NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE

NO WONDER I GET FRUSTRATED WITH STUPID COMMENTS LIKE THIS

.Sorry for raving but you should really get your facts right,

but your comments are made without looking in to the matter.

Ricoh should have called the whole batch in.

SO your saying if a car manufacture sells a new car with a defect at the manufacturing state they are not responsible I don't think sooooooooo
Tom G

---------- Post added 03-04-15 at 08:13 PM ----------

Hi Stevbrot Please don't miss quote me and twist what I said I NEVER SAID ( Out-of-warranty repairs are BEING being paid by Ricoh ) YOU SERIOUSLEY MISS QUOTE ME

IT IS A MANUFACTURES FAULT AND PENTAX NEW ABOUT IT AND THEY ARE RESPONSIABLE FOR IT
GOODS ARE NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE HERE IN THE UK

if A MANUFACTURE SELLS YOU A CAR WITH A DEFECT THAT THEY KNOW ABOUT YOU WONT BOTHER THEN i don't think so they have a moral duty to call the defective cars back and fix them

Tom G

---------- Post added 03-04-15 at 08:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tennjed Quote
I just purchased a new K3. Serial is 6098206. Camera came with firmware version 1.11.

My local camera store, while employing a great bunch of folks, is not the kind of store where you would expect they would go into stock and update camera firmware before selling. IOW, the only likely scenario is that the store received the camera from Pentax distributor with current firmware already installed.

I guess another scenario is that this is a return, and previous purchaser did the update.
tennjed
Don't worry about it as far as I know Pentax got on top of the matter once they started to admit the fault was there
and it was altered at production stage

Tom G
03-04-2015, 01:45 PM   #718
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Hi Stevbrot Please don't miss quote me
I did not misquote you. I copied you verbatim and linked back to your comment.

I apologize for reading your comment as "should" in the assurance rather than the imperative sense. Yours is the primary usage, I read it as the secondary sense.

As for Ricoh's obligation...In the UK, you may have additional personal consumer protection under the law. That is well known. As to whether Ricoh should (imperative sense) recall all the batch of affected K-3 for replacement or service, I would suggest there is little evidence to suggest that would be needed that would assume Ricoh knew which cameras those were. It would be nice, however, if Ricoh were to offer to re-flash the affected component regardless of whether the camera is symptomatic, but I am unaware of them offering to do so.

Steve

P.S. My automobile (2012 Nissan) has a defective moonroof motor. My warranty expires 8 May 2015. I had better get it replaced before that date.

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-04-2015 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Corrected to the intent of Tom's comment
03-04-2015, 02:13 PM   #719

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I did not misquote you. I copied you verbatim and linked back to your comment.

I apologize for reading your comment as "should" in the assurance rather than the imperative sense. Yours is the primary usage, I read it as the secondary sense.

As for Ricoh's obligation...In the UK, you may have additional personal consumer protection under the law. That is well known. As to whether Ricoh should (imperative sense) recall all the batch of affected K-3 for replacement or service, I would suggest there is little evidence to suggest that would be needed that would assume Ricoh knew which cameras those were. It would be nice, however, if Ricoh were to offer to re-flash the affected component regardless of whether the camera is symptomatic, but I am unaware of them offering to do so.

Steve

P.S. My automobile (2012 Nissan) has a defective moonroof motor. My warranty expires 8 May 2015. I had better get it replaced before that date.
Hi Steve
as far as I have read and gleaned from the internet ,
it was obviously a batch of first produced K3 cameras, so I don't think its to hard for Ricoh to no the serial numbers from the first to
the last camera of the batch.

Look I know they wont call them back they will just fix he ones people send in for repair.

anyway nice talking to you and no offense taken whatsoever.

I love my Pentax K3

Tom G
03-04-2015, 05:52 PM   #720
Veteran Member

audiobomber, did you send your camera in for repair?