Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 96 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2015, 08:04 AM   #781

QuoteOriginally posted by s76 Quote
Sex weeks ago: It was about -18C. I had two batteries with me, one Pentax and one Hähnel. I had taken pictures one hour when it first happens. First battery, Hähnel, was not even half way down when shutter kept firing until I opened battery compartment. It did that three times when repeated. Then I switched battery to Pentax, and same result. All the time I used AV-mode, AF with single spot and single shot. Lenses were DA70 and Samyang 14mm.

Then I put camera under my jacket for 10 minutes. I allowed me to take pictures for one minute before it repeated to act like machine gun.

K5 never did that. My K3 is firmware 1.01. That was first time though I was taken pictures at cold temperature before.

Two weeks ago (and firmware 1.02): It was about -3C. I had fully charged battery (Hähnel) in. About 30 frames ok, but then it did it. Now shutter kept firing but only about four seconds when it stopped itself when I turn camera off. After that, no problem at all. Lens was Samyang 14mm.

Serial number 4828573. Purchase date 26.11.2013.

Tomorrow morning I'll test fully charged battery (both Pentax and Hähnel). Let's see what happens.

-Sami-
sorry i can't see a video.,.,

04-20-2015, 02:54 AM   #782

Photos: Gallery
Well I for one will be happy when the new K3ii comes out as I was just about to purchase a prestige edition gunmetal K3 my way of thinking is that the gunmetal version would have had
the internal FW upgraded therefore the mirro flap would be fixed.

Then I herd the wonderful news the K3ii will be out by the end of April,
I will order within a month of it being out thats for sure
Tom G
04-20-2015, 03:37 AM   #783
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom777 Quote
Well I for one will be happy when the new K3ii comes out as I was just about to purchase a prestige edition gunmetal K3 my way of thinking is that the gunmetal version would have had
This was my way of thinking when I purchased the Prestige model. And so far it has proved right I have done over 10000 images (on the second go round) since October last year when it arrived and nary an issue and using a grip a significant part of that time.
04-20-2015, 03:46 AM   #784

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
This was my way of thinking when I purchased the Prestige model. And so far it has proved right I have done over 10000 images (on the second go round) since October last year when it arrived and nary an issue and using a grip a significant part of that time.
Great minds think alike Arjay Bee

The only way I would not buy the new K3ii is if it was only minor Pentax updates and they wanted extra monies for a few tweaks

Then I would go ahead and buy the Prestige Gunmetal Pentax k3 at such a great price of £880, here in the UK,
which I think will come down an other £100 when the K3ii comes out,
and as you say all appears to be working well so to me it seams like a bargain for a great camera.

Tom G

04-20-2015, 06:02 AM   #785
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom777 Quote

Then I herd the wonderful news the K3ii will be out by the end of April,
I will order within a month of it being out thats for sure
Tom G
Although I haven't done any programming for many years, I originally come from a software development background, so I can say this with some confidence... No product that relies on multiple sensors (and other input / output devices), electro-mechanical components and software systems is ever going to be 100% free of bugs. As each new product or revision is developed, some of the old bugs will get ironed out or improved upon, but some new bugs will most likely appear; and not always in the newest features, either, as it's usually the case that a whole series of features are inter-dependent. Maybe the K3ii will be free from the mirror flap issue - maybe it won't. But you can be certain it will have bugs. My guess is that within weeks, maybe even days, of its release, there'll be posts here about one or more K3ii problems.

I have the K3, plus a K5 I use as a second body. When the prices come down after the K3ii is released (like you, I think they will), my own preference is to get another K3 to replace my ageing K5. I am sure the K3 will always have some bugs, but so does everything else that is software driven. If one or more of those bugs becomes persistently troublesome, I'll approach Ricoh for an inside-or-outside-of-warranty service.

That said, I'd love to own either the K3 Prestige or K3ii (or both!!)
04-20-2015, 06:43 AM   #786
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with BigMackCam and likewise I spent many years in s/ware development. I remember raising a similar point earlier.

I marvel at what we expect modern cameras to do. The mechanics are being asked to perform at extremely small margins with degrees of precision that are vastly improved on what they were many years ago. Add into this the complexity of features and the range of temperatures the cameras are expected to perform over, and I'm surprised that we don't see many more malfunctions (maybe we would if we were using Nikons !).

No doubt the K3ii and FF will have problems. The service measure is how Ricoh and their service agents respond. The later seems to be where most of the problems appear to lie.

If only analogue components were as predictable as software can be ...

Last edited by BarryE; 04-20-2015 at 07:09 AM.
04-20-2015, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #787
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If only there was a recording medium that didn't require electronics and software.

04-20-2015, 08:33 AM   #788
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
If only there was a recording medium that didn't require electronics and software.
K1000. Go back to film? No thanks.

I've had a lot more firmware bugs with my Sony a6000 than my K-3. The bugs appear to have been cured now on both cameras. The difference is, I didn't have to send the a6000 to Sony for the fix.
04-20-2015, 10:12 AM   #789
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another s/w dev here on the "this problem is hard" bandwagon. If only they'd open source the code or wrote a plugin architecture for it! (Ducks and runs for cover.)

Seriously though, if they did this, some seriously neat features could be written on top of it, like magic lantern or CHDK for canon cameras. (Yes, which was done via clever hacking/reverse engineering.)
04-20-2015, 10:44 PM   #790
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Mechanical failure doesn't occur in your electronics free and software free fantasy world?
04-21-2015, 12:00 PM   #791
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Erd§ Quote
Mechanical failure doesn't occur in your electronics free and software free fantasy world?
Never had a mirror overrun on my Spotmatic II. Plus you can improvise with a mechanical system better that with an electrical system.
04-23-2015, 02:04 PM   #792

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
old bugs will get ironed out or improved upon, but some new bugs will most likely appear
Surely with your background in programming you know well and good that there are no such things as "bugs". They are "undocumented features".
04-24-2015, 12:11 AM   #793
Pentaxian

it arrived and nary an issue
Sorry to quote myself but had first issue today in a formal photo shoot - burst of 5 or 6 flops then stopped. AV mode 2/3s full battery no grip attached. I switched off switched on and carried on.

Good Aussie expression fits here... Bugger!
04-24-2015, 07:38 AM   #794
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FOLLOWUP on my experience. Since the mirror went crazy during our trip to Africa I've taken 8,000+ shots with no repetition of wild mirror mirror syndrome.
04-24-2015, 12:55 PM   #795
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry to quote myself but had first issue today in a formal photo shoot - burst of 5 or 6 flops then stopped. AV mode 2/3s full battery no grip attached. I switched off switched on and carried on.

Good Aussie expression fits here... Bugger!
And that's with the Prestige version, yes?