Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 96 Likes Search this Thread
04-24-2015, 03:17 PM   #796
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
And that's with the Prestige version, yes?
Yes.

Was doing ANZAC dawn service earlier today, camera on tripod, long exposures repeatedly, grip attached, flash attached - no repetitions of the flutter.

May just ignore it as I have 6 months on my warranty to monitor it before I do anything.

04-25-2015, 03:07 PM   #797
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Yes.

Was doing ANZAC dawn service earlier today, camera on tripod, long exposures repeatedly, grip attached, flash attached - no repetitions of the flutter.

May just ignore it as I have 6 months on my warranty to monitor it before I do anything.
Sorry to hear that. Well, as I've suggested before, no product this sophisticated is totally bug free. I think you're right to hold fire for now and see how you get on, especially with so much of your warranty period left...
04-26-2015, 04:07 AM   #798

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
FOLLOWUP on my experience. Since the mirror went crazy during our trip to Africa I've taken 8,000+ shots with no repetition of wild mirror mirror syndrome.
Did you change anything after it happened? Or did you just leave everything as it was? Say batteries, grip, settings etc.
04-26-2015, 04:50 AM   #799
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CNunez Quote
Did you change anything after it happened? Or did you just leave everything as it was? Say batteries, grip, settings etc.
I installed a firmware upgrade - forget offhand what is in the camera now.

05-30-2015, 09:36 PM   #800
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine has started doing it, and also seems to be locking up occasionally. Still under warranty for another couple of months so will contact Kennedy once home from holiday on Tuesday.

Anyone from Australia had experience with actually getting it fixed?
05-30-2015, 10:01 PM   #801
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snpsht Quote
Still under warranty for another couple of months so will contact Kennedy once home from holiday on Tuesday.
It would be interesting to hear whar they have to say about it.
05-30-2015, 11:23 PM   #802
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
An update to my repair process might be useful.
1 Apr 2015 shipped from US northwest to US northeast, enclosing copy of purchase receipt with handwritten note about the mirror problem
6 Apr No communication from Precision but package tracking indicates delivery today
16 Apr Camera arrived back to me with note that repair was complete on 4/9/2015
Pretty pleased at speed of service, not so happy about lack of communication but their speed largely makes up for it!

Their note with the camera said:
A complete repair and return all functions to factory specs.
Cleaned image sensor
Auto focus test, check, calibration and realignment
Firmware download: corrections and adjustments; address values measured and adjusted
Complete cleaning (internal - external) and optical system.

Doug

05-31-2015, 12:27 AM   #803

QuoteOriginally posted by snpsht Quote
Mine has started doing it, and also seems to be locking up occasionally. Still under warranty for another couple of months so will contact Kennedy once home from holiday on Tuesday.

Anyone from Australia had experience with actually getting it fixed?
I tried sending mine in before the warranty ran out but was told by Kennedy that there was no fix other than the 1.11 firmware work-around. They did suggest that if there ever was a proper fix that an expired warranty wouldn't be a problem but I don't know how that would work out in practice.

John.
05-31-2015, 03:25 PM   #804
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for that.
06-01-2015, 04:17 PM   #805

QuoteOriginally posted by Dougg Quote
Firmware download: corrections and adjustments; address values measured and adjusted
Doug
Did they just, in fact, only install the latest firmware that anyone can get, or was your firmware version unchanged, which would indicate that they updated the non-user-accessible firmware?
06-01-2015, 06:39 PM   #806
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asharpe Quote
Did they just, in fact, only install the latest firmware that anyone can get, or was your firmware version unchanged, which would indicate that they updated the non-user-accessible firmware?
My firmware was updated before I sent the camera in. The service ticket says "Reprogrammed camera".

Last edited by audiobomber; 06-01-2015 at 06:59 PM.
06-01-2015, 11:36 PM   #807

I'm in Germany and my Silver K-3 was one of the first but I have never had this issue. Warranty is running out, should I send it in to Pentax to get "the fix" applied (assuming there is a hardware fix)?
06-20-2015, 11:00 PM   #808
Pentaxian

I had my second K3 mirror flap episode a couple of days ago on a warm sunny day in Tenerife. Unlike the first time, on April 1 last year (really!), it stopped automatically after about four flaps. No damage done. I had to remove the battery to stop it last time. This time I had V1.21 firmware installed; last time it was V1.03.
06-21-2015, 01:12 AM   #809
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by asharpe Quote
Hi-- The latter. I sent the camera in with fw 1.11 and it came back still reporting 1.11. I expect the firmware they reported installing was the other non-user-accessible one.

Doug
06-28-2015, 06:39 AM   #810
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Has firmware 1.21 solve this issue? I have the gun metal prestige coming and this thread is making me a bit nervous!

Thanks

Randy