Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2015, 08:10 AM   #811
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
Has firmware 1.21 solve this issue? I have the gun metal prestige coming and this thread is making me a bit nervous!

Thanks

Randy
Randy, I'd say that the number of reports since Ricoh applied a firmware fix (v1.11) are minimal. They will have been hundreds of thousands of shots taken with K-3s since the initial problem was reported, I'd guess very few will have experienced a problem recently, and if they do the camera takes care of it safely. Yes the flapping is a bit disconcerting the first time, but in nearly two years of regular usage it's happen to me twice before the V1.11 update but never since. I've even been considering getting a spare for my spare as the camera works so well and the prices have fallen nicely...

06-28-2015, 09:48 AM   #812
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
Has firmware 1.21 solve this issue? I have the gun metal prestige coming and this thread is making me a bit nervous!

Thanks

Randy

I got my K3 last Oct., with a mfg. date of 4/14. Started out with f/w v1.00 (currently use 1.21), yet never have experienced the mirror flop issue. I presume they corrected the issue after the initial manufacturing run.
06-28-2015, 10:58 AM   #813
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No big deal with 1.21. It stops it in its tracks.
06-28-2015, 01:06 PM   #814
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
No big deal with 1.21. It stops it in its tracks.
I only wish that were true. K-3 repaired by Precision for mirror flap. Latest firmware. Still flaps occasionally. Pentax branded batteries too.

YMMV

Michael

07-28-2015, 01:33 PM   #815

Photos: Albums
Late to the game here, but I've been struck with the sickness. Happened today for the first time. No previous problems with the mirror since I've had the camera.

Date of event: July, 28, 2015
K3 camera purchased: November 2013
Shutter count: [don't have camera with me as I type this]
Ser No: [don't have camera with me as I type this]
Quality: RAW
Memory: one memory card (32GB)
Lens: Pentax 55-300
Mode: AV
Focus: Back Button
AF button: Disabled
SR: on

Outside temperature was hot (30C) and muggy (probably 85% humidity). I had been doing quite a bit of shooting for a period of an hour or so.
07-28-2015, 03:37 PM   #816
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slowdive101 Quote
I've been struck with the sickness
firmware version?
07-29-2015, 08:45 AM   #817

also experiencing crazy mirror flapup problems

I also encounter problems with my K3 with the mirror flap up. I am using Firmware 2.0. This is my third (!!!!!!) copy of the K3 so far and this copy is also not working correctly!!!!!!!!!!!! I am sick and tired of this! The k3 simply is not a reliable camera, although expensive enough! I never have problems with my K5, but the K3 basically s....! And Pentax/Ricoh is not doing enough to solve this issue, so I have lost faith in the brand! They seem to think: "lets move on to the next models and forget all about teh K3". Well, that is not enough for me I must say! I paid a handsome amount of money for this camera and it should wok and forfill it's promises!

07-29-2015, 01:51 PM   #818
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Naturefreak Quote
I also encounter problems with my K3 with the mirror flap up. I am using Firmware 2.0. This is my third (!!!!!!) copy of the K3 so far and this copy is also not working correctly!!!!!!!!!!!! I am sick and tired of this! The k3 simply is not a reliable camera, although expensive enough! I never have problems with my K5, but the K3 basically s....! And Pentax/Ricoh is not doing enough to solve this issue, so I have lost faith in the brand! They seem to think: "lets move on to the next models and forget all about teh K3". Well, that is not enough for me I must say! I paid a handsome amount of money for this camera and it should wok and forfill it's promises!
Must say I'm confused by this. What is Firmware 2.0 ? The reports from this community, which is particularly picky I'd say, is that the latest firmware controls this problem very well, if not totally. The failure count is probably very low now and many users might not even notice the camera mitigating the problem before it is noticed. Maybe I've got something wrong which explains your bad luck ...
07-29-2015, 02:38 PM   #819
Veteran Member

I am planning to buy a new K-3 off B&H, do you think they fixed these problems before they send the latest batch out to B&H?
07-29-2015, 03:57 PM   #820
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mirrorflap was always rare. It is unlikely to be in a new K-3 from B&H but any equipment can have issues. My early adopter K-3 has been problem free. That does not mean anything you buy today will never have problems. That is why all companies have warranties and repair facilities.
07-29-2015, 11:58 PM   #821

mirror flapping

The firmware on my copy is 1.20; I stated it wrongly. Fact remains that it is my third not-funtioning copy of the K3! The copy I had before this one, also had the mirror flap up issue; this one again also has. And than I am also confused, since I got this copy back from repairs not even three months ago! So if this problem was already resolved, why then sent me a copy which still has these problem back from the service department....
Fact is that I will return the camera again to Pentax today... Hopefully, the fourth copy will not exhibit this problem...
No reason to trust Pentax in this matter though; again, why sent me a copy back from repairs which still exhibits this problem not even three months ago!?
07-30-2015, 05:22 AM   #822
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Naturefreak Quote
The firmware on my copy is 1.20; I stated it wrongly. Fact remains that it is my third not-funtioning copy of the K3! The copy I had before this one, also had the mirror flap up issue; this one again also has. And than I am also confused, since I got this copy back from repairs not even three months ago! So if this problem was already resolved, why then sent me a copy which still has these problem back from the service department....
Fact is that I will return the camera again to Pentax today... Hopefully, the fourth copy will not exhibit this problem...
No reason to trust Pentax in this matter though; again, why sent me a copy back from repairs which still exhibits this problem not even three months ago!?
Mine has done it twice, when the battery is basically dead. I stopped shooting it dry and haven't had the problem since. I hope you get your issues sorted out!
07-30-2015, 09:39 AM   #823

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
firmware version?
Version 1. Wow, can't believe I haven't updated at all.
08-11-2015, 01:28 PM   #824
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slowdive101 Quote
Version 1. Wow, can't believe I haven't updated at all.
So long as you're aware of the changes / potential improvements that the updated firmware offers, and you don't need those (many won't), I see no reason to update. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, eh?
08-25-2015, 01:59 PM   #825
Veteran Member

Mine has just started doing it again, after some time.

Date of event: 24/8/2015
K3 camera purchased: 24/1/2014, repaired by JP Service 10/4/2014 ("unable to recreate fault")
Shutter count: not a lot
Ser No: 4858537 Park Cameras UK
Quality: RAW+JPEG
Memory: two memory cards
Lens: Pentax 16-85
Mode: TAV
Focus: AF
AF button:
SR: off
Firmware: 1.03

The battery was nearly fully charged. The rattling stopped after a few seconds.

Could anyone suggest what I should do?