Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2015, 06:53 PM   #856

My K-3ii is only a couple months old after having to send two back because they were in the recalled serial numbers and another that had a different problem I thought I finally got a good copy until this week when I heard the flapping noise that others described as mirror flop. The battery was charged and is the original one that came with the camera. I was shooting single shot in aperture priority. I turned it off and back on and it worked fine. The weather was cold but not terrible. I've never had this happen with my K-5 even in colder weather. I hope it doesn't happen again but I'm definitely more nervous now using the K-3ii over my K-5. Too bad.

12-01-2015, 01:23 AM   #857
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Oh dear, please keep us posted. You're the third person who has posted a k-3II mirror flap. My shutter count is only 603. I hope I won't have problems.
12-02-2015, 01:53 AM   #858

Defective Pentax bodies & mirror chatter

You can't fix stupid. It's stupid to buy a known problem put out by Pentax: Defective Camera bodies with machine gun mirror chatter. It tears up the innards and baffles. There are other problems associated with said bodies too like failure to record a picture on one of the two SD cards, etc. I read on one post Pentax had recalled a range of serial #'s associated with this problem. Can someone tell me if that's true? If so, does that recall remain valid even if the 1 year warranty period has lapsed? Is it for the Pentax K-3? If so, I'd like to return mine and have it 'fixed' if that means more than just a firmware upgrade. I will not ever purchase another Pentax if these kinds of manufacturing defects persist and the company fails to resolve them with its customers.
12-02-2015, 03:33 AM   #859
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinbalwyz Quote
It tears up the innards and baffles.
Mmmm ? Not sure about this. I've two K-3s with the latest firmware. Yes, I had the occasional flutter at the start, but since updating to the latest firmware, both cameras have been completely reliable. The firmware has had to step in twice to control the problem, which it did instantaneously, resulting in a black frame. Overall, I am completely confident with the cameras, which get regular use in all weathers. Personally, I think the K-3 is a fantastic unit - there's really nothing else out there that temps me at this sensor size - certainly not for usability, reliability and handling. ... Just me personal opinion ...

12-02-2015, 05:03 AM   #860
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Mmmm ? Not sure about this. I've two K-3s with the latest firmware. Yes, I had the occasional flutter at the start, but since updating to the latest firmware, both cameras have been completely reliable. The firmware has had to step in twice to control the problem, which it did instantaneously, resulting in a black frame. Overall, I am completely confident with the cameras, which get regular use in all weathers.
This mirrors my experience. Three instances of mirror flop in two years of constant use, two blank frames in the past year or so since the FW fix. Hardly anything to freak out over. My a6000 has had more episodes of glitchiness than my K-3.
12-02-2015, 05:35 AM - 2 Likes   #861
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

You can't fix stupid. It's stupid to buy a known problem put out by Pentax: Defective Camera bodies with machine gun mirror chatter. It tears up the innards and baffles. There are other problems associated with said bodies too like failure to record a picture on one of the two SD cards, etc. I read on one post Pentax had recalled a range of serial #'s associated with this problem...
...I will not ever purchase another Pentax if these kinds of manufacturing defects persist and the company fails to resolve them with its customers.
These days, I accept that few products (if any) are perfect. They're all developed within time and cost constraints, and design flaws occur as a direct result. If a product largely satisfies my requirements and expectations, I can live with the problems. It's quite liberating when you reach a point of acceptance that nothing's perfect!

I just read through your forum posts since joining earlier last year, and all of them - except for one - was about this mirror issue. You seem quite dissatisfied with Ricoh / Pentax, and the mirror flop problem appears to be getting in the way of your enjoyment, and that's no fun. While I don't wish to see anyone move away from Pentax - you might be happier with another brand. They all have problems, of course, but you may find their problems bother you less.

I've had one mirror flop instance that I can remember, and it left the mirror stuck. But, I got it moving again, and since I upgraded the firmware, I've yet to experience it again. If it happens, I'll sort it out - and if I can't, I'll get it fixed. I'm pretty relaxed about it. A professional might not be so relaxed, for good reason, but such professionals would typically carry a back-up.

Good luck with your K3 - I hope you get it fixed to your satisfaction, or find a brand you're happy with.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-02-2015 at 05:40 AM.
12-02-2015, 06:02 AM   #862
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
These days, I accept that few products (if any) are perfect. They're all developed within time and cost constraints, and design flaws occur as a direct result.
I believe the basic problem is that everything these days is controlled by a CPU. We don't bat an eye when our computer freezes or blue screens. It's not surprising that other electronic devices also crash, they have a computer for a brain.

12-04-2015, 05:04 AM   #863
Veteran Member

I will not ever purchase another Pentax if these kinds of manufacturing defects persist
...because other manufacturers don't have any problems with their cameras...
12-04-2015, 09:51 AM   #864
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Erd§ Quote
...because other manufacturers don't have any problems with their cameras...
I wouldn't go that far, but I'm definitely wary of anything with a K and a 3 in it!
12-04-2015, 11:47 AM   #865
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Can someone tell me if that's true?
Not true...

I'd like to return mine and have it 'fixed' if that means more than just a firmware upgrade.
The fix is to do a low-level re-flash. Ricoh/Pentax will do this under warranty if you experience the runaway mirror issue. In the mean time, if you are concerned about camera damage, check your firmware version. Versions since v1.11 have provision to detect the runaway mirror condition and abort the exposure. Result is a missed frame, but that is better than the alternative.

Steve

(...has not had a single incident of runaway mirror on my K-3...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-04-2015 at 12:10 PM.
12-04-2015, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #866
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You can't fix stupid. It's stupid to buy a known problem put out by Pentax:
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I just read through your forum posts since joining earlier last year, and all of them - except for one - was about this mirror issue.
Yep, it is generally OK to make an initial complaint or rant, but singing one song is monotonous. I reviewed your (pinbalwyz) posting history and from all appearances you opted to not return your camera as defective at time of purchase despite the mirror problem happening within one week of delivery. As near as I can tell, you also refused to have the camera serviced under warranty once the fix was available in late summer 2014.

Stupid is as Stupid does...(Forrest Gump)

Steve

(...still trying to figure out what "baffles" are being beaten to death here...)
12-04-2015, 12:18 PM   #867
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can't fix stupid. It's stupid to buy a known problem put out by Pentax: Defective Camera bodies with machine gun mirror chatter. It tears up the innards and baffles.
Well, call me stupid and slap me silly! I bought a K3 recently, that I'm so very much enjoying! Can it have problems? Sure; show me a brand that doesn't have problems!!

BTW, this stupid person's innards and baffles are still intact! (Oh, you meant the camera!).
12-04-2015, 12:24 PM   #868

I've had this once. Or so I thought. Then realized I had shifted my shot mode to burst. Been a great camera so far (several months).
12-05-2015, 12:03 PM   #869

ad hominem forum

The ad hominem attacks appearing in this forum are neither appreciated or productive. As it was, shortly after the release and purchase of the K-3, Pentax denied there was a problem (told me they hadn't heard of it) and had no "cure". After all, why would they have a cure for something they claimed they didn't believe existed?

I posted my opinion of the product and didn't expect a hash of recriminations for it. What I DID expect (but didn't get) was an answer to my question about whether there had been a recall by Pentax for a range of serial #'s in the K-3 and if this recall was independent of the "warranty" period.
12-05-2015, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #870
Pentaxian

When I need a formal answer on what is covered a by a warranty, or something specific about camera operation, I contact Pentax Customer Service itself at 800-877-0155. They usually operate M-F during daytime hours Mountain Standard Time.