Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2014, 08:51 AM   #1
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vermont
Posts: 7
Using pentax manual lens on K3

When attaching any of my old manual focus lenses to the K3 and then turning it on, the focal length screen fails to appear and "input focal length" is not available in the menu either. These lenses worked fine with my old K20D. Any ideas?

03-12-2014, 09:02 AM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,002
QuoteOriginally posted by bugman Quote
When attaching any of my old manual focus lenses to the K3 and then turning it on, the focal length screen fails to appear and "input focal length" is not available in the menu either. These lenses worked fine with my old K20D. Any ideas?
On other models it will only ask if shake reduction is turned on already AND the drive mode is compatible with shake reduction. So if you have SR turned off from before, it won't ask (even if you then turn it on, you need to power off and on again), or if you have the drive mode on remote or delay mode. So set it to normal single shot manual trigger (or hi or lo continuous shot) and turn on SR. Then power off and on again and it should ask...

(I don't have K3 yet, but that's how previous SLR models worked. The mirrorless ones like K-01 and Q are a bit different in that you can enter it anytime in the menu I think.)
03-12-2014, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
wtlwdwgn's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Billings, MT
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,333
Did you search for using a manual focus lens? You need to set Menu C4, No, 27, to yes. Page 83 in K3 manual.
03-12-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Perrineville, NJ
Posts: 1,365
Or see this:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using...x-dslrs-f.html

03-12-2014, 02:13 PM   #5
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vermont
Posts: 7
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
On other models it will only ask if shake reduction is turned on already AND the drive mode is compatible with shake reduction. So if you have SR turned off from before, it won't ask (even if you then turn it on, you need to power off and on again), or if you have the drive mode on remote or delay mode. So set it to normal single shot manual trigger (or hi or lo continuous shot) and turn on SR. Then power off and on again and it should ask...

(I don't have K3 yet, but that's how previous SLR models worked. The mirrorless ones like K-01 and Q are a bit different in that you can enter it anytime in the menu I think.)
Thanks but found out I had to enable aperture ring to get it to work.

---------- Post added 03-12-2014 at 05:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Did you search for using a manual focus lens? You need to set Menu C4, No, 27, to yes. Page 83 in K3 manual.
Thanks. That worked.
03-12-2014, 03:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member
Parry's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 541
Enjoy! Especially focus peaking on a sturdy tripod.

I've forgotten all about autofocus since I've had the K-3. Shoot manual focus only now.
07-06-2014, 08:23 PM   #7
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 75
I had the same issue, and agree it's always best to read the manual (or hit the web . However, it really is annoying to not have it obvious when you connect a manual lens and you can clearly see 'F--' flashing with no clear way to resolve it. My K200D was a breeze by comparison...
07-06-2014, 08:55 PM   #8
Pentaxian
dcBear78's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Gladstone, QLD
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 822
Don't know why the need for this setting? Is there any downside to turning it on?

07-06-2014, 10:30 PM   #9
Moderator
Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruising PentaxForums and watching your back.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,651
Shake reduction won't work without that setting, from what I have read on this forum.
07-06-2014, 11:12 PM   #10
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,415
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Shake reduction won't work without that setting, from what I have read on this forum.
Unless you enable aperture ring on the K-3, all it does is allow shutter release for the case where aperture is set using the aperture ring. I guess technically that means that SR is not working either


Steve

---------- Post added 07-06-14 at 11:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
Don't know why the need for this setting? Is there any downside to turning it on?
There is no downside except that the camera will allow you to take photos with less than full exposure automation. When the aperture ring is missing or is in the "A" position the camera operates the same as before.


Steve
07-06-2014, 11:39 PM   #11
Moderator
Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruising PentaxForums and watching your back.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,651
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Unless you enable aperture ring on the K-3, all it does is allow shutter release for the case where aperture is set using the aperture ring. I guess technically that means that SR is not working either
Okay thanks for the more input. I don't have a K-3 but assumed what I read on here, in several different threads it was mainly because SR wouldn't work without using that setting. So, I guess I was half right, eh!
07-07-2014, 07:35 AM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,002
QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
Don't know why the need for this setting? Is there any downside to turning it on?
I think it is purely a "you shouldn't be using these old lenses if you don't know what you are doing" sort of thing -- mainly to keep FA lenses (some of which are still being made) that have aperture rings from operating when the aperture ring is accidentally taken off the A setting (cause why would anyone want to do that on this modern body?)...
01-15-2015, 03:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Photos: Albums
Posts: 302
Why indeed!

I ran into the same problem the first time I put a legacy lens on my K-3.
Why would anyone want to put this beautiful camera on Manual with all these neat automatic functions?
I guess my ability to accurately estimate exposures within 1/2 stop is no longer useful these days. I used to use a light meter only rarely when taking photos out-of-doors. Do any young photographers know what the f/16 rule is?
01-15-2015, 04:07 PM   #14
Moderator
Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruising PentaxForums and watching your back.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,651
Of course a lot of oldsters know the f16 rule. But I like to be able to control what I shoot, not using the camera's automatic controls. Neat features aren't even used on my cameras.
01-15-2015, 06:12 PM   #15
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,415
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Neat features aren't even used on my cameras.
Yep, it is just a light-tight box built around a nice sensor. Nothing more. Everything else is just window dressing.


Steve
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aperture, downside, drive, drive mode, dslr, k-3, k3, k3 m lens, lenses, menu, mode, pentax k-3, pentax manual lens, power, reduction, shot, sr, steve, thanks
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K3 Focus Settings when using Telephoto lens pearsaab Pentax K-3 3 01-31-2014 08:44 PM
Using Manual Lenses on your Pentax: Video Edition Adam Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 04-26-2013 01:25 PM
Help using manual lens on pentax k-x Mooseychick Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 8 08-20-2011 03:37 PM
using manual lens on K2000 pano1 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 8 03-29-2011 04:32 AM
Using built-in flash on K100d with a manual lens seeker Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 04-18-2007 10:55 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:28 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top