Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2014, 08:51 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Using pentax manual lens on K3

When attaching any of my old manual focus lenses to the K3 and then turning it on, the focal length screen fails to appear and "input focal length" is not available in the menu either. These lenses worked fine with my old K20D. Any ideas?

03-12-2014, 09:02 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bugman Quote
When attaching any of my old manual focus lenses to the K3 and then turning it on, the focal length screen fails to appear and "input focal length" is not available in the menu either. These lenses worked fine with my old K20D. Any ideas?
On other models it will only ask if shake reduction is turned on already AND the drive mode is compatible with shake reduction. So if you have SR turned off from before, it won't ask (even if you then turn it on, you need to power off and on again), or if you have the drive mode on remote or delay mode. So set it to normal single shot manual trigger (or hi or lo continuous shot) and turn on SR. Then power off and on again and it should ask...

(I don't have K3 yet, but that's how previous SLR models worked. The mirrorless ones like K-01 and Q are a bit different in that you can enter it anytime in the menu I think.)
03-12-2014, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you search for using a manual focus lens? You need to set Menu C4, No, 27, to yes. Page 83 in K3 manual.
03-12-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Or see this:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using...x-dslrs-f.html

03-12-2014, 02:13 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
On other models it will only ask if shake reduction is turned on already AND the drive mode is compatible with shake reduction. So if you have SR turned off from before, it won't ask (even if you then turn it on, you need to power off and on again), or if you have the drive mode on remote or delay mode. So set it to normal single shot manual trigger (or hi or lo continuous shot) and turn on SR. Then power off and on again and it should ask...

(I don't have K3 yet, but that's how previous SLR models worked. The mirrorless ones like K-01 and Q are a bit different in that you can enter it anytime in the menu I think.)
Thanks but found out I had to enable aperture ring to get it to work.

---------- Post added 03-12-2014 at 05:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Did you search for using a manual focus lens? You need to set Menu C4, No, 27, to yes. Page 83 in K3 manual.
Thanks. That worked.
03-12-2014, 03:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Enjoy! Especially focus peaking on a sturdy tripod.

I've forgotten all about autofocus since I've had the K-3. Shoot manual focus only now.
07-06-2014, 08:23 PM   #7
Forum Member

I had the same issue, and agree it's always best to read the manual (or hit the web . However, it really is annoying to not have it obvious when you connect a manual lens and you can clearly see 'F--' flashing with no clear way to resolve it. My K200D was a breeze by comparison...
07-06-2014, 08:55 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Don't know why the need for this setting? Is there any downside to turning it on?

07-06-2014, 10:30 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Shake reduction won't work without that setting, from what I have read on this forum.
07-06-2014, 11:12 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Shake reduction won't work without that setting, from what I have read on this forum.
Unless you enable aperture ring on the K-3, all it does is allow shutter release for the case where aperture is set using the aperture ring. I guess technically that means that SR is not working either

Steve

---------- Post added 07-06-14 at 11:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
Don't know why the need for this setting? Is there any downside to turning it on?
There is no downside except that the camera will allow you to take photos with less than full exposure automation. When the aperture ring is missing or is in the "A" position the camera operates the same as before.

Steve
07-06-2014, 11:39 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Unless you enable aperture ring on the K-3, all it does is allow shutter release for the case where aperture is set using the aperture ring. I guess technically that means that SR is not working either
Okay thanks for the more input. I don't have a K-3 but assumed what I read on here, in several different threads it was mainly because SR wouldn't work without using that setting. So, I guess I was half right, eh!
07-07-2014, 07:35 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
I think it is purely a "you shouldn't be using these old lenses if you don't know what you are doing" sort of thing -- mainly to keep FA lenses (some of which are still being made) that have aperture rings from operating when the aperture ring is accidentally taken off the A setting (cause why would anyone want to do that on this modern body?)...
01-15-2015, 03:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Why indeed!

I ran into the same problem the first time I put a legacy lens on my K-3.
Why would anyone want to put this beautiful camera on Manual with all these neat automatic functions?
I guess my ability to accurately estimate exposures within 1/2 stop is no longer useful these days. I used to use a light meter only rarely when taking photos out-of-doors. Do any young photographers know what the f/16 rule is?
01-15-2015, 04:07 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Of course a lot of oldsters know the f16 rule. But I like to be able to control what I shoot, not using the camera's automatic controls. Neat features aren't even used on my cameras.
01-15-2015, 06:12 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Neat features aren't even used on my cameras.
Yep, it is just a light-tight box built around a nice sensor. Nothing more. Everything else is just window dressing.

Steve