Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2014, 09:27 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
The K100D has the same sensor size as the K-5, so it has physical dimensions 13.345 x 20.145mm. That's 1mm and 1.5mm in the vertical and horizontal directions smaller than the K-5. I'd still say that's a bit too small a difference to make a difference. I suspect what you saw were due to actual improvements in the quality of the viewfinder rather than physical dimensions.
Sorry, you're wrong. The differences I saw were significant and real. Seven years ago, before I knew enough about cameras, I upgraded from the *ist DS (same magnification as the K-3) to the K100D and noticed the viewfinder size difference immediately. I had to look it up to make sure I was not crazy. It was just as noticeable as when I upgraded back to a larger viewfinder. I would bet you most people on here that made similar upgrades also noticed the difference.
If you want to compare for yourself, just go to any big box or electronic store and look through the viewfinders of the top of the line APSC Canons amd Nikons ,then look through their lessor bodies. They're all about .95x vs .85x. It's like having tunnel vision.

Last edited by geomez; 03-13-2014 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Spellling
03-13-2014, 09:55 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Uhh, what does the sensor size have to do with what I see through a passive viewfinder?
In theory the image frame mask should be the same size as the sensor since both cameras provide 100% coverage. The extra magnification is probably due to the smaller mask size being normalized to provide the same virtual dimensions.

Steve
03-14-2014, 05:34 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
There is something different enough about the K3 viewfinder that I can, for the first time with a digital camera, use my right eye again. I think the difference lies in the new diopter mechanism but maybe it is the reported 100% coverage at 95'% magnification. Whatever it is, the VF is really, really good.

I can do everything but critical focus, which I do on a tripod in Live View anyway. Formerly I'd been on an obsessive quest for a film camera to use with my old lenses or the K-01 and a tripod.
QuoteOriginally posted by Ayoh Quote
There are noticeable differences in the k3 viewfinder.

- It is noticeably brighter
- It has a colder colour balance. The k5 series viewfinder has a noticeable warm/yellow tinge to it. The k3 is preferably more neutral.
- Viewfinder Image is slightly larger
- eye-point is slightly worse i.e. you need to have your eye closer to the viewfinder. However the difference is not problematic and using the Pentax viewfinder magnifier (which works better with higher eye-point) does not present any real problems for people who do not wear glasses.

All in all it is an improvement over the k5.

Some limitations are:

- low AF point brightness. The points are hard to see in bright light outdoors, and have some slight inconsistency in their individual brightness.
- Viewfinder LCD display could be brighter like the OLED display used in the d7100.
Thank you. I knew I knew something was different.

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
Let's do the math (this is my name, after all):

K-3 viewfinder size = 0.95*[15.6, 23.5] = 14.82 x 22.325 mm
K-5 viewfinder size = 0.92*[15.7, 23.7] = 14.444 x 21.804 mm

If you can tell a difference of 0.4 mm, then your eyes and sense of measurement are a lot better than mine!
Dude. My eyes are worse than yours, which is entirely my point.
10-08-2014, 01:44 AM   #19

K-3 Viewfinder in 16:9 format

Hi,

I was reading that the K-3 can take 16:9 format pics as well as 3:2 and am wondering if anyone knows if the viewfinder also changes or if there are marks on the mirror to indicate the frame through the viewfinder for 16:9 format and if it changes in live view mode, thank you.

I, at the moment, have the K-5IIs and am considering changing to a K-3 as I think, going by pics I have seen in reviews, that the colour rendition of the K-3 is possibly more accurate.

Cheers

10-08-2014, 02:55 AM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by StationX Quote
Hi,

I was reading that the K-3 can take 16:9 format pics as well as 3:2 and am wondering if anyone knows if the viewfinder also changes or if there are marks on the mirror to indicate the frame through the viewfinder for 16:9 format and if it changes in live view mode, thank you.

I, at the moment, have the K-5IIs and am considering changing to a K-3 as I think, going by pics I have seen in reviews, that the colour rendition of the K-3 is possibly more accurate.

Cheers
No and no on the viewfinder/mirror, but I'm not 100% sure about live view. I would expect the LV image to change as it does on compacts like the WG series.

But yes, the K-3's white balance is more accurate and the colors are more true-to-life, especially when shooting at night. It's a great upgrade!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-08-2014, 03:09 AM   #21

Hi Adam, I would have thought they would have at least put marks on the mirror for that, never mind, I guess one could guess, or crop it later as I could t the moment with the K-5IIs.

It was night photo's that I noticed the difference and also I find that with the K-5IIs sometimes sunset pics have a greenish tinge, which I don't like, this is driving me towards the K-3, I think after the sale of my K-5IIs the upgrade will cost me around 300, am seriously considering, thanks for your reply Adam, your input is appreciated and it's very encouraging to know that the upgrade would be worthy
10-08-2014, 07:50 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Hi Adam, I would have thought they would have at least put marks on the mirror for that, never mind, I guess one could guess, or crop it later as I could t the moment with the K-5IIs.
I am unfamiliar with any claim of 16:9 support. I own the K-3 and mine does not do that as a feature. You can crop in PP, however.

As for putting marks on the mirror...that would not work. Any marks would have to be on the focus screen or projected onto the screen. This is something that KatzEye might be able to do as a custom request for one of their screens.

Steve

---------- Post added 10-08-14 at 07:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am unfamiliar with any claim of 16:9 support. I own the K-3 and mine does not do that as a feature. You can crop in PP, however.
Oh! You mean for video! In that case, marks in the viewfinder would not help much (mirror is up).

Steve
10-08-2014, 01:51 PM   #23

Thank you stevebrot, yes your correct, the marks would need to be on the focus screen not the mirror but I did think the K-3 could take 16:9 still images, the specifications in the following link gave me the impression that it did;

Pentax K-3 Hands-On Preview

Not having laid eyes on one I wouldn't know from practical experience and this is where you came in, so thanks for this handy info, I may have bought one expecting this and that would have been a let down, are you sure? Cheers

Last edited by StationX; 10-08-2014 at 02:05 PM.
10-08-2014, 10:27 PM   #24
Site Supporter

The specification in the user manual includes 16:9 for video only. I have had my K-3 since April and if that ratio is available for still photos, it is well-hidden special feature.

Steve
10-09-2014, 02:04 AM   #25

Hi Steve, if you look at the comparison of the K-3 to the K-5IIs from the same site you can see in the specs for aspect ratio; the K-5IIs is 3:2 and the K-3 is 3:2 and 16:9.

I guess it's a misleading review.

Pentax K-3 Verses Pentax K-5 IIs DSLR Comparison

Thanks for your help!
10-09-2014, 03:25 PM   #26
Site Supporter

I guess it's a misleading review.
Yep, though that is not unusual. Even the best review sites regularly get the specifications wrong. I can see where you might have gotten the impression that both formats are supported.

Steve