Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2014, 10:22 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Buy K3 in the US

Hi all,

I am a Pentax user based in England looking to buy the new K3 and I am finding that I ca save myself some money if I buy in the US. My question is - are there any issues/disadvantages to buying the camera in the US but bringing it back to England? I was thinking about extended warranties and such.

03-14-2014, 11:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter

I don't know about warranties but would you have to declare the camera or any other gifts/merchandise you purchased in the US upon landing back in England?
03-14-2014, 12:03 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Import duties are definitely something to consider. Vendors rarely disclose this information because its your responsibility as one who is shopping across the border. Google this: had to pay import to read about people's first impressions of their import tariff surprises.
03-14-2014, 12:42 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't think that someone getting off a plane with a camera around his neck would generate any inquiries from customs. The box, papers, etc. in the luggage might though.

03-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
Import duties are definitely something to consider. Vendors rarely disclose this information because its your responsibility as one who is shopping across the border. Google this: had to pay import to read about people's first impressions of their import tariff surprises.
Paying import duties and taxes is primarily a consequence of using postal or express shipping services. Sometimes the postal services allow you to slip through due to Customs sampling in view of the high volumes, whereas using an express company the payment of duties and taxes is nearly guaranteed for procedural reasons. HOWEVER, simply returning to the UK from the US and going thru Customs and Immigration will RARELY cause a problem. If you look normal and don't have 15 suitcases, the Customs personnel simply cannot and do not check everyone and usually it is due to a quota or an alert check for pax coming from Columbia, the Middle East or wherever their radar has them looking. As a resident of France for the last 25 years, I've been making 3-4 trips per year to the US and NEVER, EVER have been checked not even once. I buy all my stuff abroad and not just cameras! Europe is way too expensive for all consumer goods. So, frankly, coming back with a camera bought in the US is NOT a problem. Worst case scenario is : have a receipt on you just in case. Believe me, the Customs personnel would have to be INCREDIBLY bored to check you for a camera and levy the VAT and duties. It just does not happen regularly. That is just my 2 cents worth...
03-14-2014, 12:56 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

If smuggling doesn't offend your honor or integrity, the worst I could imagine would be a fine on top of the import duty. That is, if all you "failed to declare" was a camera.
03-14-2014, 12:58 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe you will be lucky enough to receive one as a gift while visiting the US, so having box/ paperwork when you went back home would make sense (and of course there would not be a sales receipt with your name on it in with the box...).

Happy birthday!
03-14-2014, 01:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

If you buy in the US and bring to EU arround your neck it is duty free. If someone sends you a K-3 as a gift or a sample it is duty free or if the customs miss it it is duty free...

03-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tunjij Quote
I was thinking about extended warranties and such.
You'd need to ask Pentax UK about this. If you're thing a third party warrantor, ask them. I suspect Pentax's international 1yr warranty would apply at the very least.
03-14-2014, 02:41 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you

Thanks a lot guys. Your responses have been really useful. The plan was to buy it, unpack and start using it immediately. I never check in my camera kit (drives the Mrs mad because it reduces her hand luggage allowance) so it would come back with me as hand luggage in my camera bag. My Kr is going stateside with me so I'll be coming back with both.
03-14-2014, 02:59 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Where in the US are you going? Somewhere where there is a shop that sells Pentax? And if not, how soon are you traveling? Maybe you could take advantage of B&H's great K3 deal and have it shipped to a forum member who lives in the area where you will be visiting. Just some thoughts...
03-14-2014, 04:26 PM   #12

Original Poster
Hi BlackTalon,

Thank you the thought did occur to me. I'm going to LA and found something called Hooper Camera in Chatsworth California. I'll check out B&H as well though
03-14-2014, 11:34 PM   #13

Hello,

You will need to get a new battery charger or adapter.

Best,

Little Ray
03-15-2014, 07:00 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Little Ray Quote
Hello,

You will need to get a new battery charger or adapter.

Best,

Little Ray
The only difference will be the plug.
03-15-2014, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter

I guess I'm old school. How much are you gonna save? I try to buy local from a business that I can drive to. People I can speak to face to face and knowing my purchase puts food on their table. I do buy online but I try to buy local as much as I can so I have those businesses when I need them. Todd