Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2014, 08:12 PM   #16
Forum Member

If you're not that into ramen, I'd add my voice to the glass-first mob. Good glass on the K-5 gets outstanding results. K-3 price will drop later, and you can pick it up then. I feel like it's a good upgrade from the K-5, but only if you've got the lenses for it.

03-19-2014, 11:57 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hah. The ramen thing would probably upset my wife.

My 50-135 had a bad fall (knocked internal lens group loose) and I haven't sent it in for repairs yet (my client is just now paying invoices from December… it was getting a little hairy on the finances). It was already converted to screw drive -- that's part of why I was wanting the K3, to speed up the AF. I feel like the screw drive is preferable to the SDM… on my 16-50 I can't always tell when it's adjusting the focus because I can't hear it unless the room is completely silent, and my camera occasionally decides not to AF for some reason until I shut the camera off and on again.

The argument that the 60-250 will hold its value better is only a good one if there were any chance I'd ever sell the lens after buying it, which I'm sure you all know is laughable. I would however happily find a new owner for my K5 + battery grip, and hopefully that wouldn't be too difficult to accomplish.

And I have a "finish your wedding registry" coupon from Amazon (which expires in 12 days) that will give me 10% off a single Amazon-sold item (maximum of $100 off) and a bunch of Amazon gift cards. Since the price of the K3 on Amazon is hovering around 1050, I could get it for pretty cheap. The 60-250 never goes cheap, is only available from Amazon via other sellers, not Amazon, so the coupon won't work, and I'd rather buy lenses used from people who already theoretically went through the trouble of making sure it was a good copy.

It's a tough decision.

The K3 getting cheaper eventually is a good point. I don't *need* any of the new functionality, though I'd really like several of the functions.

If I'm selected for the new contract I was just submitted to I'll be in Salem, Oregon for 6 months, and it sounds like a pretty picturesque place where the 60-250 lens would be excellent. But I could probably earmark some cash to pick up the lens if I did get that, since it would be a decent increase on my current contract, and they'll actually pay me every two weeks, on time.

And I'm thinking of selling my 10-20mm Sigma, too, which could help fund the 60-250… maybe if I ditch the 16-50, too, since I really never, ever use it (my 28-75 is a more useful zoom range).

Decisions, decisions. Hmmm…
03-26-2014, 04:14 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well… still no Amazon-listed k3 or 60-250. There was a k3 2 nights ago but only 1 in stock and it sold before I dug out my gift cards and stuff.

But there was a used 60-250 listed at 1099 by KEH in excellent condition with all the accessories, so I pulled the trigger.

And if a K3 comes up by Amazon before my 10% off cert expires at the end of the month… maybe I'll just get that, too, and visit the Ramen store. lol.
03-27-2014, 06:11 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
The 60-250 never goes cheap
During black friday it does, and I got mine in Canada for 1150$ CAD new.

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
But there was a used 60-250 listed at 1099 by KEH in excellent condition with all the accessories, so I pulled the trigger.
That's a great price, I'm sure you will not regret your purchase.

03-27-2014, 06:32 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Normally I would advise the glass, but considering that everybody in this thread is doing that and considering the fact that I have to go against the grain, I'm voting for the K-3. LOL, but I did actually find a good reason. One good lens brings good performance in only one lens. But going from the K-5 to the K-3 means all your lenses will be performing a lot better. (And you have enough.) In IQ performance, in AF performance and in handy features. The gap between K-5 and -3 in those areas is quite noticable. Oh, and that ultrafast Porst of yours will definitely benefit from the K-3's focus peaking.
03-27-2014, 07:05 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
(And you have enough.)
Who are you, and what are you doing on this LBA-ridden website? *grin*

In addition to the Oregon prospect, I'd totally forgot a headhunter had put me in for a contract in the chicago burbs, 2 hours from home, and now they want a face-to-face interview in a couple of weeks.

Either one would be a nice pay increase (way more for the chicago one though), above and beyond than the cost of living difference, AND they actually pay every week (or every 2 -- I forget which -- either is much better than the "we'll pay you randomly and only when you nag us to, and usually 60+ days after it's due" that my current client has been hitting me with since July 2012.

In either case, If I get the new contract, I'll definitely be picking up a K3 after I settle in.

Might even be irresponsible and do so even if I don't. And now that I've used my amazon gift cards, all I have left is $100 off if Amazon.com itself sells it before the end of the month, so it might make more sense to go with the BH deal, since I know I'll need the battery grip. I can't even handhold my K5 with the 50-135 without getting a cramp in my hand unless the battery grip is attached (I really wish the camera were just a half inch taller), I'm sure the 60-250 will be worse.

Thanks, everyone, for your advice