Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-17-2014, 12:11 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
You haven't being paying attention
The K-3 uses *software* Shake Reduction in movie mode. Pentax have deactivated the sensor shift SR in movie mode since the K-5 because it uses too much power and makes a noise on the video (Apparently. Though I never heard it on my K-7).
Well. I haven't upgraded from my K-7 yet. So I'm not realy that familiar with all this modern stuff :-)

03-17-2014, 12:52 PM   #17
Unregistered User

Well, Steve. Maybe I should so I didnt have to read stupid responses. The SR on the K5 is working really good so why change to a tech that never has worked before.
03-17-2014, 01:15 PM   #18
Veteran Member

The K-3 has Real Time Scene Analysis (as well as teh less advertised Real Time Audio Analysis). Just as intended it analysed the scene and understood it is meant to look psychedelic. It also understood that it was not nearly as psychedelic as intended and went ahead and fixed that.
03-18-2014, 07:42 AM   #19

Original Poster
Well, I didn´t give the camera any alcohol, yet it seems that it was drunker than I was.

I sent the toxic analysis to Focus Nordic (the Swedish Pentax distributor).

03-18-2014, 10:13 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Well, Steve. Maybe I should so I didnt have to read stupid responses.
The only thing stupid about the comment was expecting an intelligent reading on the other end. I was serious about the Nikon suggestion* and sarcastic with the "still vs. video" part. In-lens stabilization is an established and good solution for video SR. So is owning a video camera with stabilization built in. The last I heard, the SR on the K-3 is as good or better than that on the K-5 for the features they share in common. Your K-3 is one of the best still digital cameras on the planet. Buying one for its video capabilities is well...puzzling.

Steve

* Probably should have suggested Canon too...

---------- Post added 03-18-14 at 10:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tava Quote
Well, I didn´t give the camera any alcohol, yet it seems that it was drunker than I was.

I sent the toxic analysis to Focus Nordic (the Swedish Pentax distributor).
They should be "entertained". I definitely was!

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-18-2014 at 10:21 AM.
03-18-2014, 10:26 AM   #21
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
I LOVED the mechanical shake reduction of the Kx and K5... it almost looked like an expensive steady-cam rig and worked so incredibly well.
What am I missing?

I didn't think SR was active on the k-x at all in movie mode.
03-18-2014, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #22
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Buying one for its video capabilities is well...puzzling.

Steve
Why not? Every brand is making the video a part of the still camera. Pentax now has mic input, full manual possibilities, several different frame rates etc so they obviously intended the video to be more than a gimmic. So why should I not expect the K-3 to do good video?

03-18-2014, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
What am I missing?

I have a K-r and the mechanical SR in video is just fantastic. I think the K-x is very similar to the K-r in many ways and probably has it too.

It's a real pity that in later they dumped something that worked so well and replaced it with a lame software stabilisation system which doesn't even use the gyros.
03-18-2014, 02:50 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Veteran Member

The last I heard, the SR on the K-3 is as good or better than that on the K-5 for the features they share in common. Your K-3 is one of the best still digital cameras on the planet. Buying one for its video capabilities is well...puzzling.
This may be true for stills, but not for video.
And yes, Pentax/Ricoh have advertised/promoted the K-3 as having professional video capabilities so it's perfectly reasonable that a buyer will factor this ability into their buying decision. Not puzzling at all.
It is however being let down but the non-implementation of sensor-shift SR when recording video. Of course for tripod work it's a non-issue.
03-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
K-3, not K-x
03-18-2014, 04:04 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Steve, I believe Ira was referring to Drabbit's comment about the Kx and K5
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/254921-k-3-movie-sr-issue.html#post2744812
03-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

And yes, Pentax/Ricoh have advertised/promoted the K-3 as having professional video capabilities so it's perfectly reasonable that a buyer will factor this ability into their buying decision. Not puzzling at all.
Agreed, though it is my feeling that the appropriate action as a consumer is to simply take it back and buy the product that works better.

In this case, I am not sure that the finger is fairly being pointed at the SR feature, though it is likely part of the mix. I turned off the sound (highly distracting) and ran the video several times and it looks to me like the camera is dropping frames.

Steve

---------- Post added 03-18-14 at 04:06 PM ----------

Steve, I believe Ira was referring to Drabbit's comment about the Kx and K5
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/254921-k-3-movie-sr-issue.html#post2744812

Steve
03-18-2014, 05:25 PM   #28
Veteran Member

...it is my feeling that the appropriate action as a consumer is to simply take it back and buy the product that works better.
Maybe in Vancouver you're lucky that this is cost effective viable [and acceptable] option but life isn't that simple for many others.
In Australia for example very few retailers would accept a return simply because you don't like it, don't agree with software SR and have changed your mind about buying it. Not to mention many people buy online because there are no local retailers, so extra shipping charges, insurance and lengthy time frame makes returning an item a right PITA.
Besides, what are you going to swap it for? Which system has in-body stabilization for all your k-mount lenses when shooting stills and the same mechanism for video? No, the promise from PR has fallen short so the best thing that can happen is for SS SR to be re enabled at least as an option via an update.
Remember we're talking about the whole K-3 package here, 'professional video' is part of a package which has many new features in the equation that leads to shelling out $1300 for the new flagship. Perhaps you're no fan of DSLR video, but I don't think suggesting people to just buy a camera that does what they want is a kindly response for them.

You could be right about dropping frames in the OPs video.
Perhaps a slow SD card?
03-18-2014, 06:06 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Besides, what are you going to swap it for? Which system has in-body stabilization for all your k-mount lenses when shooting stills and the same mechanism for video?
K-5IIs? Well, no I guess that is not a good choice if you want the K-3 video feature set. With any luck, the OPs issue can be addressed in firmware and/or Ricoh will enable the choice between SR types.

I don't think suggesting people to just buy a camera that does what they want is a kindly response for them.
Your point is well taken and I was not charitable. I know that it is disappointing to have all but one in a long list of desired features present on a product. It is doubly disappointing to discover the fact after the purchase or to make the purchase knowing of the deficiency only to find that it bugs you more than you thought it would down the road.

For the record, I will likely buy a K-3 at some point in the near future and the video features are part of the package that makes it attractive. Learning that craft sounds like fun.

Steve

(...was not charitable, but also not particularly stupid...)
03-19-2014, 04:56 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Why not invent a new SR mode where they use the accelerometers to pick up motions as usual, but shift the picture in software? (Only for video, of course.)