Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2014, 02:58 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Multi-Target AF Bracketing (Ricoh GR)

I saw someone wishing for a focus bracketing option. There's already something like that in the Ricoh GR:

Multi Target Auto Focus Technology / Technology | Ricoh Global

While the GR's Multi-AWB made it into the K-3, I wonder why Multi-Target AF bracketing didn't?

I can imaging it would be very handy if you wanted in PP to increase the DOF in a macro shot by stacking these multiple shots.

Or what about a group shot where you have a distracting background and want to use a shallow DOF, but because some of the group are on different focal planes, they are not all going to be in sharp focus? If AF-bracketing was used here, you could use layers and masking in PP to combine all members for a sharp shot.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 03-17-2014 at 04:26 PM.
03-17-2014, 03:48 PM   #2

Very interesting, good find. The software base for the Ricoh and Pentax cameras must be very different I suppose. I guess it would be a full on porting/reimplementing exercise to get the same feature into the K-3. Hope it does happen for the K-3, it wouldn't be the first new feature added since release, so there is hope.
03-17-2014, 04:43 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
The AF code in the GR probably wouldn't carry over easily to support both contrast-detect and phase-detect modes, so they might have to rewrite it if they wan to carry it over to the SLRs.