Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2014, 12:49 AM   #1

Silky pix camera digital utility 5 fails to start

I turn to you guys in hope of getting this mystery solved. I've installed the software with no problems at all. I'm running a 64bit Lenovo laptop using windows 8.1. So when I start the app, I see the splash window for a few seconds then it disappears and nothing more happens. No error message no nothing... I tried in compability mode, safe mode,
Reinstalled it, run as admin...no luck.

Any advice appreciated. And yes I know there are alternative software to use.

/Leo

03-18-2014, 01:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Try adding it to the DEP exclusion list

Change Data Execution Prevention settings
03-18-2014, 01:33 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Try adding it to the DEP exclusion list

Change Data Execution Prevention settings
Nope. Doesn't apply for 64-bit programs...at least that's what the message I received tells me when I tried
To add the silky pix program to the exclusion list. Thanks for trying.
03-18-2014, 02:27 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Leooel Quote
Silky pix camera digital utility 5 fails to start
No such program exists.

It's either:

Ricoh Digital Camera Utility 5 (S-SW140)
or
SILKYPIX Developer Studio Pro 5.

Ricoh DCU 5 has a SilkyPix engine, but the rest of it is significantly different from SP and may not have been made by them. So if you mean Ricoh DCU 5, try a 30-day trial of SP Developer Studio Pro 5. (Soon to be updated to v6 - if you buy it now you'll be entitled to a free upgrade to v6 when the English-language version is released - the Japanese version has been out for some time now.)

SILKYPIX Developer Studio -- Download

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 03-18-2014 at 02:33 AM.
03-18-2014, 03:05 AM   #5
Unregistered User

As my computer support always say: Did you restart your computer? Did you try to uninstall and reinstall and restart?
03-18-2014, 03:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Leooel Quote
Nope. Doesn't apply for 64-bit programs...at least that's what the message I received tells me when I tried
To add the silky pix program to the exclusion list. Thanks for trying.
I wasn't aware that Pentax's version of SilkyPix Studio was 64bit only?
Are you talking about the software supplied with the K-3 or another camera?
Besides, SPDS4 and SE runs as 32bit under a 64bit OS.
SILKYPIX Developer Studio 3.0 SE --- Hardware Requirements ---

And DSP5 is a recent release, did you download the trial?
03-18-2014, 03:11 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
No such program exists.

It's either:

Ricoh Digital Camera Utility 5 (S-SW140)
or
SILKYPIX Developer Studio Pro 5.

Ricoh DCU 5 has a SilkyPix engine, but the rest of it is significantly different from SP and may not have been made by them. So if you mean Ricoh DCU 5, try a 30-day trial of SP Developer Studio Pro 5. (Soon to be updated to v6 - if you buy it now you'll be entitled to a free upgrade to v6 when the English-language version is released - the Japanese version has been out for some time now.)

SILKYPIX Developer Studio -- Download

Dan.
My spellchecker is a bit creative, and I wasnt able to edit the subject line...so you are right its the first of them two you mention, Ricoh Digital Camera Utility 5 (S-SW140). And its powered by Silkypix according to the CD-label:-) ...And as I said in my first post. I am aware of alternative solutions, its just that it bugs me that a software that was delivered when i purchased the camera does not work.

---------- Post added 2014-03-18 at 11:11 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
As my computer support always say: Did you restart your computer? Did you try to uninstall and reinstall and restart?
Short answer: Yes.

---------- Post added 2014-03-18 at 11:18 ----------

I wasn't aware that Pentax's version of SilkyPix Studio was 64bit only?
Are you talking about the software supplied with the K-3 or another camera?
Besides, SPDS4 and SE runs as 32bit under a 64bit OS.
SILKYPIX Developer Studio 3.0 SE --- Hardware Requirements ---

And DSP5 is a recent release, did you download the trial?
As I mentioned in my original post, i am running a 64-bit laptop. Installing the 32-bit version is not possible. I have tried that also. And it is the software supplied with the camera, NOT developer studio.

Last edited by Leooel; 03-18-2014 at 03:20 AM. Reason: clarifying
03-18-2014, 03:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If the Ricoh Digital Camera Utility 5 software installs both the 64bit and 32bit versions, then check the C:\Program Files (x86) folder to see is there's a 32bit version.

EDIT: Apparently it does, so try it.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/2...ml#post2592499
03-18-2014, 04:50 AM   #9

Original Poster
If the Ricoh Digital Camera Utility 5 software installs both the 64bit and 32bit versions, then check the C:\Program Files (x86) folder to see is there's a 32bit version.

EDIT: Apparently it does, so try it.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/2...ml#post2592499
I may have been unclear about this, but there is no way to install the 32-bit version of the software using the disc. Trying to install the 32-bit version gives an error message. So, there is no instance of the software under the x86 folder.
03-18-2014, 06:19 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Have you tried running in Windows 7 compatibility mode ?
The program and W8.1 might not play well together.
03-18-2014, 06:22 AM   #11
Veteran Member

To get the program started: after PDCU5 is installed, I think that PDCU5 is registered as a handler for PEF and DNG graphics file types in Windows. So if you right click on a DNG or PEF, do you have an option to open the image using PDCU5? If yes, open the image in PDCU 5, then within PDCU5 browse to the image folder, do a few adjustments, then close PDCU5 again, then try and do a standard PDCU5 start. Maybe it will save the changes and settings that worked.
03-18-2014, 06:47 AM   #12
Pentaxian

rawr's comment made me remember a past problem with the software. Don't know if it's your problem but read this post.......

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/8...4-problem.html
03-18-2014, 07:08 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
Have you tried running in Windows 7 compatibility mode ?
The program and W8.1 might not play well together.
Yes I did. I thought I mentioned that already.

---------- Post added 2014-03-18 at 15:11 ----------

rawr's comment made me remember a past problem with the software. Don't know if it's your problem but read this post.......

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/8...4-problem.html
The case you are referring to gives error messages. In my case there no such thing.

---------- Post added 2014-03-18 at 15:19 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
To get the program started: after PDCU5 is installed, I think that PDCU5 is registered as a handler for PEF and DNG graphics file types in Windows. So if you right click on a DNG or PEF, do you have an option to open the image using PDCU5? If yes, open the image in PDCU 5, then within PDCU5 browse to the image folder, do a few adjustments, then close PDCU5 again, then try and do a standard PDCU5 start. Maybe it will save the changes and settings that worked.
Pdcu5 was not an option when right-clicking. So that tells me that the installation did go wrong somehow. I then chose the pdcu5 manually as standard program for dng-files.
Double-clicked the dng file, the splash screen comes up, and then nothing ... E g same behavior as just starting from the pdcu5 short-cut on the desktop.
03-18-2014, 09:22 AM   #14
Pentaxian

OK. Give a read of this.....

Help running a 32 bit program on Windows 8 64 bit

3rd reply and read the link. Don't know if that's the problem of not.
There was also another post on this forum regarding w8 and DCU5 x64 not running.

W8 is different enough from w7 that weird stuff happens that I can't explain. I put W8 on the grandsons box and we've run into a few issues where items got corrupt without reason.
Roxio program gave me fits Until I wiped the registry in 2 locations. I'm interested in seeing how this turns out.

If you switch to DNG format, DCRaw will probably open the files, it's also free.
You might try contacting Ricoh support and see if they can solve the problem.
03-18-2014, 09:47 AM   #15

Original Poster
OK. Give a read of this.....

Help running a 32 bit program on Windows 8 64 bit

3rd reply and read the link. Don't know if that's the problem of not.
There was also another post on this forum regarding w8 and DCU5 x64 not running.

W8 is different enough from w7 that weird stuff happens that I can't explain. I put W8 on the grandsons box and we've run into a few issues where items got corrupt without reason.
Roxio program gave me fits Until I wiped the registry in 2 locations. I'm interested in seeing how this turns out.

If you switch to DNG format, DCRaw will probably open the files, it's also free.
You might try contacting Ricoh support and see if they can solve the problem.
My problem is that the 64-bit version of the software can be installed with no issues. But execution only gives the splash-screen. The 32-bit version can not be installed using the provided setup program. It tells me that it can't install on 64-bit platform.