Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2014, 06:09 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
O-FC1 FluCard Full Review and Guide

For those of you looking for a complete walkthrough and review of Pentax FluCard wireless tethering, we've just posted our in-depth review:

Pentax FluCard O-FC1 Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

The card is now available at both B&H and Adorama (Adorama won't ship it internationally, B&H will).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-19-2014, 06:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I must say, from what I've seen and read I'm a bit disappointed at it since it's a native solution. I've seen other cams with wifi do so much better.
03-20-2014, 06:52 AM   #3
Unregistered User

The review says: "Note: the selectable channels range from 1 to 11 in the US and Canada, and 1 to 20 in other countries." I am from Sweden and I also only have 1-11 to choose from.
03-20-2014, 09:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Review is great as usual but underwhelmed with the Flushots

03-20-2014, 10:01 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I've had a lot of trouble with stability of the card. I haven't posted details yet because I'm still trying to narrow it down to specific scenarios. When it works, I'm very happy with it and I've gotten at last one shot that would have been nearly impossible without it. But it only works a short while before it gets very unstable, dropping the connection every minute or two, and then seems to totally stop working (i.e. when powering up the camera the card doesn't go into the beep-initialization sequence). Full battery, using it in a semi-rural area set to a wifi channel that is not being used (according to an Android wifi analyzer). The behavior sounds like what was mentioned in the review as the card rebooting when the battery level is at one or two segments, but mine's at three.
03-21-2014, 02:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I really don't want to seem nitpicky but the review says the O-FC1 will work with any modern browser. Is this true? The Docs for Flucard say only Safari and Chrome are supported.

I have a Windows Phone and a Microsoft Surface 2 tablet so I don't have Safari or Chrome as an option.

I have read that someone tested the O-FC1 on a Windows Phone and they couldn't get it to work properly but I was wondering if anyone has tried switching the phone's browser to desktop mode instead of mobile mode? Also, has anyone tried connecting to the Flucard via Internet Explorer 11? My Surface 2 tablet has both the WIN 8 tile version of internet explorer and the desktop version. The tablet Runs Windows 8 RT and not Windows 8, Chrome isn't compatible with Windows 8 RT so I cant install it.

If I cant get the Flucard to work with my existing devices I would consider getting an inexpensive android tablet just to run the Flucard. Any suggestions on a not too expensive small android tablet that would run Chrome? (sorry, I really don't know anything about android)
03-21-2014, 02:43 AM   #7
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Hyde Quote
I really don't want to seem nitpicky but the review says the O-FC1 will work with any modern browser. Is this true? The Docs for Flucard say only Safari and Chrome are supported.

I have a Windows Phone and a Microsoft Surface 2 tablet so I don't have Safari or Chrome as an option.

I have read that someone tested the O-FC1 on a Windows Phone and they couldn't get it to work properly but I was wondering if anyone has tried switching the phone's browser to desktop mode instead of mobile mode? Also, has anyone tried connecting to the Flucard via Internet Explorer 11? My Surface 2 tablet has both the WIN 8 tile version of internet explorer and the desktop version. The tablet Runs Windows 8 RT and not Windows 8, Chrome isn't compatible with Windows 8 RT so I cant install it.

If I cant get the Flucard to work with my existing devices I would consider getting an inexpensive android tablet just to run the Flucard. Any suggestions on a not too expensive small android tablet that would run Chrome? (sorry, I really don't know anything about android)
In Sweden they sell the Samsung Galaxy tab 3 light at 140 USD and it works good. 7 inch screen.

03-21-2014, 07:20 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Hyde Quote
The app is written in javascript so yes, any modern browser will do. All browsers these days are standards-compliant for the most part (even Internet Explorer!), and the flucard app uses basic tech that's been supported for many years anyway I can't comment on windows phone performance, but it certainly works in IE9/10/11 on my desktop.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-21-2014, 07:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks Adam!
03-21-2014, 10:38 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just got mine and I'm pretty impressed so far. It's slow but it does work. Showed my Canon, Sony, K-5 and Fuji friends at work and they were all jealous, They said if Canikon produced it, it would be $400. They were disappointed that it wouldn't work in their cameras. My K-5 friend was definitely sad that it didn't work in his camera.

At first I wanted the memory card to be bigger but with RAW going to slot 1 and the JPEG going to slot 2, it's not really an issue. The display showed 1100 pics for the 64 GB card in slot 1 and 800+ in the flu card so it's close enough. Recently I injured my lower back, so this might be the answer for those unusual positions I keep finding myself in.

The only gripe I have is that the controls\image roll off the bottom edge of the screen when viewing in landscape mode.
03-27-2014, 04:47 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have tried asking this in the comment section for the review itself, but I think Adam is too busy to answer comments (or at least mine, anyway... ), so maybe one of you other flucard users could try to answer this:
I was dreaming of using the flucard in connection with a feeder for some wildlife shots, but since Flucard blocks powersaving mode and since LV depletes the battery after a short while, I am beginning to think battery life kills this plan.

I would really love a bit of feed back about battery life during Flucard tethering. Can it keep going for an hour? Half an hour? Ten minutes?

Any comments appreciated, thanks!
03-27-2014, 04:57 AM   #12
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
I have tried asking this in the comment section for the review itself, but I think Adam is too busy to answer comments (or at least mine, anyway... ), so maybe one of you other flucard users could try to answer this:
I was dreaming of using the flucard in connection with a feeder for some wildlife shots, but since Flucard blocks powersaving mode and since LV depletes the battery after a short while, I am beginning to think battery life kills this plan.

I would really love a bit of feed back about battery life during Flucard tethering. Can it keep going for an hour? Half an hour? Ten minutes?

Any comments appreciated, thanks!
Note that you can turn off the Live View and still shoot via the app/browser.
03-27-2014, 05:26 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, I realise that - but I was imagining the card might drain the battery as quickly as LV - I just mentioned it for comparison. Tjompen, you have got one, right? What is your impression?
03-27-2014, 05:34 AM   #14
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
Yes, I realise that - but I was imagining the card might drain the battery as quickly as LV - I just mentioned it for comparison. Tjompen, you have got one, right? What is your impression?
Well, I have not used it for very long each time so I have no idea right now how long the battery lasts if one uses it for a longer time.

It works really good and the only thing I could complain about, but i am not, is that the picture lags to much for manual focusing when in portrait position but when in landscape position it is working good.

Now I am curious about this so when I get time I will turn it on and time it for how long it can be on before it dies.. I will get back with my findings.
03-27-2014, 11:29 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For a long feeder session, I would go for an external power supply if you have one.