Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-20-2014, 07:08 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
what lens were you using on the nikon and canon? were you zoomed in more on those cameras?

03-20-2014, 08:09 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess I really haven't noticed focusing speed difference between my K-5 and K-3. I have noticed a lot more accuracy from the K-3.
03-20-2014, 08:10 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stens Quote
I guess I really haven't noticed focusing speed difference between my K-5 and K-3. I have noticed a lot more accuracy from the K-3.
Yes. Compare the number of keepers, or missed shots due to out of focus. Some measured speed is interesting but mostly immaterial.
03-20-2014, 09:14 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
DC was more a marketing term and it is functionally SDM version 2
SDM is an acronym for Supersonic Drive Motor, and is similar to ultrasonic focus motors in other brands where high frequency (above the limits of human hearing) vibrations move the lens to focus. DC motors are mechanically linked to the lens. Based on using a DA 18-135 ED AL [IF] DC WR lens myself, it seems like a stepped DC motor, but I'm not sure of that. And overall focus speed depends on both the speed of the focus motor and the accuracy of the focus system in the camera which directs the motor. If the lens is moved back and forth to find focus, it takes longer than simply moving once.

03-20-2014, 10:51 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
My 18-135mm WR is SDM and it focuses very fast on my K-3. No slower than any of my screw drive lenses.
It is an IF DC meaning INternal Focusing and DC motor. It is I believe quite different and more reliable than SDM. FWIW the 18-135 focuses very fast indeed even in low light. Coupled with the excellent high iso low light performance of K3, the results are indeed astounding.
03-21-2014, 02:43 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
what lens were you using on the nikon and canon? were you zoomed in more on those cameras?
I tried to stay comparable, so 16-50 f/2.8 on the crop sensor bodies and 24-70 f4.0 on the full frame bodies.
I usually stayed zoomed in, as it allowed me to see sharpness better and effects of camera shake v.s. focus.

---------- Post added 03-21-14 at 05:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Yes. Compare the number of keepers, or missed shots due to out of focus. Some measured speed is interesting but mostly immaterial.
Number of keepers would have been zero because the moment desired was 3/4 second earlier or greater.
When photographing moving objects you capture the moment or you don't, regardless of sharpness.
For some photography anticipating movement and pre-focusing is possible, for some the options simply do not exist.
Focus speed is hardly immaterial.

Pentax is a GREAT studio camera!! It is even great for some sports and action shooting. It does great in bright light. It does great with large DOF where critical focus is minimized. I has great high ISO IQ. It has the best weather sealing. It is small, light and strong! The lenses produce great images (although the DA* 16-50 build quality is garbage, the cameras are tanks!). You cannot beat having built-in shake reduction, the list goes on where Pentax is better than the competition.....
I guess it is just not working for my style and subjects I'm shooting and I've finally hit a limit with all the tricks I've learned for helping get better photos.

Last edited by amoringello; 03-21-2014 at 03:01 AM.
03-21-2014, 04:42 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
It seems to hunt, pause and re-hunt just as much..
Sounds faulty my 16-50 is quick and positive K5 or K3.

The K5 with the 16-50 was slightly faster than the 18-105VR on a d7000 in a standard lit camera shop.

The k3 seems quicker to lock and appreciably quicker in AF-c but nothing different in AF visible speed

03-21-2014, 05:07 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ALiEN|PoV Quote
I noticed the same thing, the K3 spins them power-drill like. M42s are interesting. The adapter is a bit of a pain though (genuine) made for
smaller fingers than mine.
The adapter needs work, be it genuine or copy.

All mine move about.
03-21-2014, 05:51 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just stopped by the local camera store and did a test drive on the K3, hoping to take one home tonight...

In almost all other regards the Pentax camera meets or exceeds the capabilities of cameras three times its cost.
The AF speed was just so disappointing.

Anyone else see better performance form the K3 than the K5 and perhaps explain how it performed so horribly for me?

---------- Post added 03-20-14 at 07:28 PM ----------

FYI, both cameras were set to use center spot AF.
I tired the K3 in both AFS and AFA modes.

Easy answer: The K-3 is a very different beast than the K-5. While they may look similar and you may feel confident with your ability to get good results from your K-5, the K-3's functions and settings have a deep and long learning curve. I've been working with the K-3 since December (from a K5 IIs) and the K-3 called for me to really up my technique game. So, if you walk into the store, pick a K-3 out of the case with jillion unknown settings expecting it produce a "WOW"... well, that's a sure way to set yourself up for disappointment. I found the beauty of the K-3 over the K-5 lies in the subtle fine tuning of its features to develop it's 'sweet spot' consistent with my shooting style (I'm not quite there, yet).

As to focus speed, I'm not surprised that lenses with an electronic focusing motor perform about the same on the K-5 and K-3. Based on my eight years of experience with the DA*300/4 paired to various K-models, it performs as I ask and has not failed me, yet. My screw drive lenses continue to be quite snappy on all, as well.

Anyway, your post gives me the impression that you are just bored and figure a K-3 is an answer. Unless you are a post-processing wizard already, may I suggest that you explore that end of the photograph creation continuum? The K-5 is a perfectly capable camera. Paired to your 16-50 and shooting to their strengths, plus good post technique, they can produce dazzling results. Make a concentrated effort for (say) six months to learn everything you can about LR5+. If you do that, I bet you'll have more than a ton of fun and that's what this is all about.... eh?

Cheers... M
03-21-2014, 06:24 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Sounds faulty my 16-50 is quick and positive K5 or K3.
I have had 3 of the DA*16-50 lenses. All have either had their SDM replaced or were purchased after the refactor.
All have behaved the same on the K5. I don't suspect much difference from the one with which I tested.
I did some initial testing on the K3 with the lens that was on the demo unit and didn't notice any amazing revelation in its speed. So I stuck with my primary shooting lens, the 16-50, for most of my testing.

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2:
Anyway, your post gives me the impression that you are just bored and figure a K-3 is an answer.
Well you probably got the wrong impression.
I've been shooting seriously for nearly 20 years and taking professional photos for the past six+.
I know exactly what I want to shoot, and how to shoot it. I know what settings affect the camera's performance and how to adjust what is necessary. I can anticipate problematic situations and am quite confident in how to obtain decent performance for the equipment I am using.

Lightroom is a great tool, been using it since version 2. But it cannot make an unfocused image sharp and it cannot go back in time and recreate the moment missed because the camera was still trying to acquire focus.

I am in 100% agreement with those that state that 99% of the cameras are better then 99% of the photographers.
As I stated, the K5/K3 is far superior to comparable bodies by other brands in many ways and beyond adequate to shoot many situations.

But in the area where I do most of my work, I am repeatedly affected by this one limitation of the camera at this point. Perhaps I overlooked the K3's new focus-speedup function?

Seriously, though, and it is why I started the post...
I am certainly open to the possibility that I missed something and there was perhaps some way to get better performance. It sounds like the gear (lenses) I own simply won't cut it.... and to get better performance I may need to either buy lower quality lenses or disable the SDM drive and hope the noise won't be an issue.
Or the worst alternative of them all.... go to another brand.
I've been shooting with Pentax for 20+ years... that is a lot of muscle memory to undo. Oh well, I guess it will help keep the brain healthy.

Last edited by amoringello; 03-21-2014 at 06:52 AM.
03-21-2014, 07:11 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I tried to stay comparable, so 16-50 f/2.8 on the crop sensor bodies and 24-70 f4.0 on the full frame bodies.
I usually stayed zoomed in, as it allowed me to see sharpness better and effects of camera shake v.s. focus.

---------- Post added 03-21-14 at 05:46 AM ----------

Number of keepers would have been zero because the moment desired was 3/4 second earlier or greater.
When photographing moving objects you capture the moment or you don't, regardless of sharpness.
For some photography anticipating movement and pre-focusing is possible, for some the options simply do not exist.
Focus speed is hardly immaterial.

Pentax is a GREAT studio camera!! It is even great for some sports and action shooting. It does great in bright light. It does great with large DOF where critical focus is minimized. I has great high ISO IQ. It has the best weather sealing. It is small, light and strong! The lenses produce great images (although the DA* 16-50 build quality is garbage, the cameras are tanks!). You cannot beat having built-in shake reduction, the list goes on where Pentax is better than the competition.....
I guess it is just not working for my style and subjects I'm shooting and I've finally hit a limit with all the tricks I've learned for helping get better photos.
In theory you are right. In reality, in my experience, with the lenses I shoot, I get focused shots. I my experience, again, shooting with the K-3 since the end of November in the winter low light conditions, is that if there is a shot to be had, the body and lens acts predictably and with skill and practice I can get it. The focus mechanism isn't prescient, and some lenses are slow, there is a limit to the low light and low contrast conditions where I can get focus. But if I miss a shot I missed it. I miss far more in instances where my shutter/aperture is not right for the conditions than missing focus.

I don't shoot in studio.
03-21-2014, 07:19 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Well your choice

16-50 SDM Vs screw
50-135 screw
50-135 SDM

There's a lot of rubbish spoken as gospel on these forums re SDM/DC/HSM

But I guess if you like rough noisy focusing circa the 80's then convert but don't expect any speed improvements.

My Sigma 70-200 OS HSM is my slowest focus moving lens but due to short throw is also the fastest AF (thanks to hi torque HSM)

Both the 16-50 and 50-135 are relativitley long throw lens so irrelevant of screw/sdm will be slower.

But none of the above has any bearing on K3 AF vs K5 AF vs Nikon Vs Canon

I was shooting alongside a 5d Mkii shooter on the weekend he was shooting a 70-200 VR1 and most of the time I was shooting 70-200 Sigma OS HSM and da* 300

AF speed was comparable he was using 'use modes' to stop water spray throwing off AF I was using 'Hold AF fro the same purpose where the two cameras separated was I could put more pixels on the target for the same aperture , and he had about a stop headroom on me. I could use multi WB to cope with daylight windows and sodium he had to suck it up

At 200mm normal viewing size there was little difference between the images , I had a fractional higher keeper rate but that could be put down to experience shooting the targets. His had to be cropped and that lost him any noise advantage.

Last edited by awaldram; 03-21-2014 at 07:32 AM.
03-21-2014, 07:26 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
But I guess if you like rough noisy focusing circa the 80's then convert but don't expect any speed improvements.
lol :-)
03-21-2014, 07:45 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
The adapter needs work, be it genuine or copy.

All mine move about.
Off-topic, but the m42 adapter is supposed to be a bit loose (the genuine one is especially). Threads about that are around...
03-21-2014, 07:47 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
won't cut it.... and to get better performance I may need to either buy lower quality lenses or disable the SDM drive and hope the noise won't be an issue.
Or the worst alternative of them all.... go to another brand.
I
The K3 does it for AF wise, the only time I found trouble is when body movement pushes off target, specially using spot AF target, I have been using AFC in full auto with positive results for birds in flight. See this 100% hit rate of hi speed burst impressed me the accuracy of the K3. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/253576-nature-sacred-ibis-flight.html

This was a series of shots in 2 seconds, the bird moved about 20 feet in that time.