Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2014, 09:59 PM   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
There have been a couple but they close down pretty fast. I think Sweden is a too small market and that Swedes are way more inclined to buy stuff than to lease or rent than Americans. Like me, I've never bought a phone on a payment plan, always unlocked and cash.

I respect that, I buy everything outright as well, I like to own stuff and hate monthly payments. Renting is nice if you are trying to make a decision between multiple things though.

03-23-2014, 08:12 PM   #17

I would go for the special they have now at B&H with the free grip, 50mm, and 32GB SD card. I would buy the 18-135 next.
03-24-2014, 04:24 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NotaxPen Quote
I would go for the special they have now at B&H with the free grip, 50mm, and 32GB SD card. I would buy the 18-135 next.
Yeah NotaxPen
But I'm in the U.K. would cost me more in tax and I don't know if B&H deliver to U.K.
Thanks anyway
03-24-2014, 12:46 PM   #19
Forum Member

I have the 18-135 and would recommend as a super walkabout lens for uk weather, but I'll offer another choice, looking at the lens database Pentax DA Zoom Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database suggests the 55-300 WR could be an alternative, if somewhat slow to focus, amazon uk has it at £359, so £90 more than the 18-135 deal if you go for body alone.

Steve

03-24-2014, 01:02 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveUK Quote
I have the 18-135 and would recommend as a super walkabout lens for uk weather, but I'll offer another choice, looking at the lens database Pentax DA Zoom Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database suggests the 55-300 WR could be an alternative, if somewhat slow to focus, amazon uk has it at £359, so £90 more than the 18-135 deal if you go for body alone.

Steve
Hi Steve would the 55-300 WR be ok for sports or would it be to slow to focus on K3, what do you recommend
Tom G
03-24-2014, 03:06 PM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom777 Quote
Hi Steve would the 55-300 WR be ok for sports or would it be to slow to focus on K3, what do you recommend
Tom G
The reviews all agree that lens is great but slow (so not great for sports), the 18-135 is quicker, check that lens list, "sdm" lenses will be quick as they use motors in the lens, the "screw" ones are driven from the camera and slow to focus. Of course the 18-135 won't get you great close-ups, with current tech its all a balancing act of cash, speed, weight, zoom and light capture, no one lens will do everything so you need to prioritise.

Last edited by SteveUK; 03-24-2014 at 03:27 PM.
03-24-2014, 03:23 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the Silver + Grip + extras, and love it to death. I rarely use the grip though (I prefer to carry spare batteries), and there have been problems with shutter malfunction with the grip in certain situations.

Deal 4 looks like a winner to me. If you don't already have a pile of K-mount glass the DA18-135 is a great weather resistant all-purpose lens and the DA53/2.4 is a fine start to your prime journey.

---------- Post added 25-03-14 at 08:58 AM ----------

"sdm" lenses will be quick as they use motors in the lens, the "screw" ones are driven from the camera and slow to focus.
Without wishing to derail the thread, this is not accurate. SDM is actually fairly slow, especially on the heavier lenses with longer focus throws. Many screw drive lenses are much faster focussing.

That said, the DA55-300 is pretty slow, although I have heard it does better and hunts less on the K-3.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 03-24-2014 at 03:29 PM.
03-25-2014, 12:33 AM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Without wishing to derail the thread, this is not accurate. SDM is actually fairly slow, especially on the heavier lenses with longer focus throws. Many screw drive lenses are much faster focussing.

That said, the DA55-300 is pretty slow, although I have heard it does better and hunts less on the K-3.
Thanks, I stand corrected, googled and seems SDM is just quieter but not necesarily faster,
03-25-2014, 04:18 AM   #24

Original Poster
The reviews all agree that lens is great but slow (so not great for sports), the 18-135 is quicker, check that lens list, "sdm" lenses will be quick as they use motors in the lens, the "screw" ones are driven from the camera and slow to focus. Of course the 18-135 won't get you great close-ups, with current tech its all a balancing act of cash, speed, weight, zoom and light capture, no one lens will do everything so you need to prioritise.
Thanks Steve for advise
Tom G

---------- Post added 03-25-14 at 11:26 AM ----------

I have the Silver + Grip + extras, and love it to death. I rarely use the grip though (I prefer to carry spare batteries), and there have been problems with shutter malfunction with the grip in certain situations.

Deal 4 looks like a winner to me. If you don't already have a pile of K-mount glass the DA18-135 is a great weather resistant all-purpose lens and the DA53/2.4 is a fine start to your prime journey.

---------- Post added 25-03-14 at 08:58 AM ----------

Hi Sandy I will go for deal 4 comes with the 18-135 what would you recommend for sports/action shots and if that works out to expensive,
what do you recommend for a good Portrait lens.
Thanks for taken the time to answer
Tom G
03-25-2014, 04:42 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom777 Quote
Hi Sandy I will go for deal 4 comes with the 18-135 what would you recommend for sports/action shots and if that works out to expensive,
what do you recommend for a good Portrait lens.
If you want to get into sports/action I would look seriously at one of the variants of the Sigma 70-200/2.8. Their HSM is considerably faster than Pentax's SDM and the extra reach compared to the DA*50-135 would be useful.

Mind you, I have been very happy with the autofocus accuracy of the DA*50-135 on the K-3, and it is a better portrait lens than the Sigma. If you are after the ultimate portrait prime, I remain sold on the FA77, with the DA*55 or DA70 a distant second, but none of them are cheap. If you are after a cheaper AF option the FA50/1.4 will do the trick as long as you get a hood for it.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 03-25-2014 at 04:47 AM.
03-25-2014, 05:13 AM   #26

Original Poster
If you want to get into sports/action I would look seriously at one of the variants of the Sigma 70-200/2.8. Their HSM is considerably faster than Pentax's SDM and the extra reach compared to the DA*50-135 would be useful.

Mind you, I have been very happy with the autofocus accuracy of the DA*50-135 on the K-3, and it is a better portrait lens than the Sigma. If you are after the ultimate portrait prime, I remain sold on the FA77, with the DA*55 or DA70 a distant second, but none of them are cheap. If you are after a cheaper AF option the FA50/1.4 will do the trick as long as you get a hood for it.
Thanks sandy I will look into what you have advised
Tom G