Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2014, 05:57 AM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2014
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 153
Help me make a decision please

Help me make a decision please
DEAL 1 )
Pentax K-3 Digital Limited Edition Silver SLR Camera Kit
Includes Pentax Grip, Extra Pentax Battery and Limited Edition Strap 1325
 


DEAL 2 ) Pentax K-3 Digital SLR Camera Body ONLY 900
 


DEAL 3 ) Pentax K-3 Digital SLR Black with DAL 18-55 WR Lens Kit 950



DEAL 4 ) Pentax K-3 Digital SLR Black with DAL 18-135 WR Lens Kit 1170



DEAL 5 ) Pentax K-3 Digital SLR Black with DAL 18-55 WR and DAL 50-200mm WR Lenses 1100



ALL the above also include the FREE Pentax 35mm F2.4 AL LENS


I don't know weather just to get the camera body then get a Lens that is a little bit better so IQ would be that bit better,
as a beginner with DSLR what do the experienced users advice.


Also I was thinking along the lines of Deal 4 which comes with the 18-135WR.


As a beginner I am lookin for a lense that could be an all purpose lens for the first few months till I save more monies.
BUT I also want good quality,


I like taking Portraits, landscapes, I could get the camera and have about 500/ to 600 for la half decent lens or am I dreaming in total I have 1500 to spend
all advise GREATLY appreciated.


Tom G
I'm a 30yr old trapped in a 63yr old body????




Last edited by Tom777; 03-21-2014 at 07:07 AM.
03-21-2014, 07:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central Kentucky
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,415
I don't own a k3 and I don't know prices in pounds. Deal 3 is with the 18-55. Deal 4 and 5 offer a much wider range of shooting options. The included 35mm is a good lens.

IMO, the kit lenses are a great value for the money. Many people never buy anything else. Take a look at the kit lens thread thread here for many examples.The included 35mm will give you a very good lower light option and would work as a portrait lens to get you started. The major advantage to Pentax is that you 40+ years worth of older lenses that will work, some with extra effort, on your modern camera.

I usually suggest a total newbie start with the kit lens (18-55) for at least 6 months and see what focal length (in mm) they use the most before upgrading to a prime. Deal 4 would give you about all you need unless you like to shoot wildlife. It might be the better choice for you.
03-21-2014, 07:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,441
I would get the first one, it's a really nice kit and good-looking. The 35/2.4 is probably enough to start with anyway and you can pick up 18-55 used fr nothing later on if you miss it. My second choice is the 4th deal as you get two lenses you're likely to keep for a long time.
03-21-2014, 07:09 AM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2014
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 153
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
I don't own a k3 and I don't know prices in pounds. Deal 3 is with the 18-55. Deal 4 and 5 offer a much wider range of shooting options. The included 35mm is a good lens.

IMO, the kit lenses are a great value for the money. Many people never buy anything else. Take a look at the kit lens thread thread here for many examples.The included 35mm will give you a very good lower light option and would work as a portrait lens to get you started. The major advantage to Pentax is that you 40+ years worth of older lenses that will work, some with extra effort, on your modern camera.

I usually suggest a total newbie start with the kit lens (18-55) for at least 6 months and see what focal length (in mm) they use the most before upgrading to a prime. Deal 4 would give you about all you need unless you like to shoot wildlife. It might be the better choice for you.
Thanks for the advice Colbyt also sorted the mistake I made i.e. Deal 4
Tom G

03-21-2014, 08:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London
Posts: 889
Limited editions are obviously 'rare' and special, but are you buying to use or just look good?

They're not investments as such unless they remain boxed and untouched, and even then I'm not sure whether they increase in value significantly if at all. If you want to take photo's buy a camera to use.

Why a K3? You say you're a beginner. Not to say the K3 is not ok for beginners, but...

Could I suggest you go for something other than a K3, which is not a beginner's camera but if you want high spec 'yesterday's' K5II and IIs are going for a great price at the moment. Buy one of those models and spend the money saved from the camera budget on lenses.

The 18-55 kit lens is great - as a kit lens. I see a recommendation that you buy the kit lens and try it for a while to see what focal length(s) you use most before buying into primes. Sound advice, except you'll only be shooting between 18 to 55. There's a whole world of wonder above and below! My 18-55 kit lens has been on my camera once to check it was ok.

If you want to try it, however, maybe buy used. Plenty out there at good prices because lots of people don't use them!

Following the same rationale, why not go for a single but more versatile lens, maybe the 18-135 or 18-270?

The k5II + 18-135 is 949 at SRS at the moment. The K5II + 18-270 is 1099.

Last edited by JohnX; 03-21-2014 at 08:46 AM.
03-21-2014, 08:52 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Arne Bo's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Hamburg
Photos: Albums
Posts: 123
Im a beginner as well and i really like the 18-135mm to learn the camera. You are very versatile and can try a lot of focal lenghts to later decide which ones are to your liking and after that invest in the choosen limited. (I give myself daily tasks to just use 70mm for example, this way i get a feeling for the focal lenghts) I like the qualitiy of the pictures as well as long as you dont go to the extremes. (even then its ok for me as beginner fot a learning effect.) I got the HD55-300 and the combination makes for a nice all-weather kit from 18-300mm (18-55mm and 55-300mm would fit for that as well of course, but i prefer the versatile 18-135mm as my walk around lens)
03-21-2014, 08:59 AM   #7
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,770
Get Deal #4. The 18-135 is a good all around lens and even if you move up to better and more expensive glass later it will still be useful for general and travel photography. My wife's kit is: 18-135 and 55-300 which covers just about anything. The 18-135 plus the 35 f/2.4 will give you a good versatile kit that you can use for years without needing to upgrade.

Save some money for software (Lightroom or Aperture), memory cards, camera bag and so on. Do keep in mind the k-3 is top of the line for Pentax, and for cameras "top of the line" does not necessarily mean significantly better image quality. Most cameras will produce images of very similar IQ unless you are really pixel peeping. The difference is in features and controls more than a better sensor. So as noted above a k-5IIs or even k-50 will produce pictures not significantly different than the k-3 when printed at 4x6 or even 8x10. But no question the k-3 is excellent and has a wonderful feature and control set.
03-21-2014, 09:25 AM   #8
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Glendale, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 61
Deal 4 is what I suggest. The K-3 offers a lot for any level person at the price and as a beginner, it should last many years.

03-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2014
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 153
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Limited editions are obviously 'rare' and special, but are you buying to use or just look good?

They're not investments as such unless they remain boxed and untouched, and even then I'm not sure whether they increase in value significantly if at all. If you want to take photo's buy a camera to use.

Why a K3? You say you're a beginner. Not to say the K3 is not ok for beginners, but...

Could I suggest you go for something other than a K3, which is not a beginner's camera but if you want high spec 'yesterday's' K5II and IIs are going for a great price at the moment. Buy one of those models and spend the money saved from the camera budget on lenses.

The 18-55 kit lens is great - as a kit lens. I see a recommendation that you buy the kit lens and try it for a while to see what focal length(s) you use most before buying into primes. Sound advice, except you'll only be shooting between 18 to 55. There's a whole world of wonder above and below! My 18-55 kit lens has been on my camera once to check it was ok.

If you want to try it, however, maybe buy used. Plenty out there at good prices because lots of people don't use them!

Following the same rationale, why not go for a single but more versatile lens, maybe the 18-135 or 18-270?

The k5II + 18-135 is 949 at SRS at the moment. The K5II + 18-270 is 1099.


The Limited edition is a camera to be used not for a wall flower or an ornament it has nothing to do with ( Look at Me with a L-E )
the LE is featured on YouTube with Photographers I'm sure they never bought it to look good.


( I look good all the time John x don't need a camera for that.LOL )


Perhaps I should explain John X.


I have had a Fuji Bridge Camera The HS50 I have used this to learn on i.e. shutter speeds, aperture, ISO etc etc.


I have watched hundreds of tutorial's on YouTube regarding using DSLR cameras. over a year now,
since I have the HS50 I use it mostly in Manual mode, or aperture, all because I want to learn,
and I have learnt a lot, I know watching Tutorials don't make a photographer, but get in at the deep end and you won't be long in learning.


The man whom never made a mistake never made anything???????
Tom G



---------- Post added 03-21-14 at 04:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Arne Bo Quote
Im a beginner as well and i really like the 18-135mm to learn the camera. You are very versatile and can try a lot of focal lenghts to later decide which ones are to your liking and after that invest in the choosen limited. (I give myself daily tasks to just use 70mm for example, this way i get a feeling for the focal lenghts) I like the qualitiy of the pictures as well as long as you dont go to the extremes. (even then its ok for me as beginner fot a learning effect.) I got the HD55-300 and the combination makes for a nice all-weather kit from 18-300mm (18-55mm and 55-300mm would fit for that as well of course, but i prefer the versatile 18-135mm as my walk around lens)
Thanks, Arne Bo, Agchang, Jatrax, and others for the comments


I think it will be deal 4 with the 18-135.
I only mentioned the Limited Edition K3 because it came with grip, but at 1325 it is not value for money,
but the grip is only 165 so better deal to buy this separate
03-21-2014, 10:01 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
AquaDome's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Carlisle, IN
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,472
The K-3 is a great camera. I bought mine body-only because I wanted the DA lenses instead of the DAL versions.
That being said, I use my K-50 more often. Excellent image quality with a smaller file size.
03-21-2014, 10:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,441
K-3 is a camera that seems to lack any big weaknesses and therefore you'll probably keep it for years and years without feeling that you drop behind. My K-5's works well but seeing that later cameras don't have trouble with tinted low-light for AF makes my wallet worried.
03-21-2014, 10:31 AM   #12
Forum Member
chimpwithagun's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: California
Posts: 57
The K-3 is an awesome camera, it has one of the strongest Program modes I've ever seen on a camera. If you don't mind the bulk of a DSLR it could be a camera that you'll use into oblivion.


Which lens package? The 35mm 2.4 is great, I love it. For a beginner to DSLR I would suggest the 18-135, it's weather sealed so combined with the K-3 sealing you can keep shooting in the rain, ocean spray, whatever. Also, the extra focal length (as opposed to the 18-55) will help you get creative.


When I was new to digital I spent hours just playing with the functions, modes, and ability to zoom.


I say go with the 18-135 kit, then rent other lenses when you start itching to upgrade, after you learn the camera.


P.S. If you're trying to save money, you should definitely look into the K-5II/s. Honestly, a K-x/K-r with the same lenses would be a great package. Which camera body to get is a tough choice, you have to ask yourself what features you want. The image quality is great on almost all of the Pentax DSLR's. I've made some great prints at 16x20 with my K-x.

Last edited by chimpwithagun; 03-21-2014 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Cleaning up laziness in typing.
03-21-2014, 10:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,441
QuoteOriginally posted by chimpwithagun Quote
I say go with the 18-135 kit, then rent other lenses when you start itching to upgrade, after you learn the camera.
You're lucky, here in Sweden the rental services are almost non-existent. Though I buy and sell lenses instead and it's cheaper in the long run than renting.
03-21-2014, 10:45 AM   #14
Forum Member
chimpwithagun's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: California
Posts: 57
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
You're lucky, here in Sweden the rental services are almost non-existent. Though I buy and sell lenses instead and it's cheaper in the long run than renting.
Sounds like someone should start a lens rental company in Sweden. If only I spoke Swedish...
03-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #15
Veteran Member
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,441
QuoteOriginally posted by chimpwithagun Quote
Sounds like someone should start a lens rental company in Sweden. If only I spoke Swedish...
There have been a couple but they close down pretty fast. I think Sweden is a too small market and that Swedes are way more inclined to buy stuff than to lease or rent than Americans. Like me, I've never bought a phone on a payment plan, always unlocked and cash.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aperture, beginner, bit, camera, decision, dslr, focus, grip, k-3, k3, k5ii, kit, lenghts, lens, lenses, lot, pentax, pentax k-3, silver grip, slr, thanks, tom
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
help me make a decision dagaetch Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 05-31-2013 06:54 AM
Help me make a decision Arka Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 17 03-27-2013 01:35 AM
Please help a newbie make sense of superzoom lenses thechumpen Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 17 10-11-2012 04:43 AM
Please help me make a choice. misbehave Pentax DSLR Discussion 24 07-09-2012 05:59 AM
please help me make a lightsphere... slip Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 11 12-31-2006 05:18 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:38 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top