Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2014, 03:25 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 and the new TC

I link to my thread on the TC because maybe this is a "K-3 only" problem or fenomenon.

Maybe I am doing my testing the wrong way. Need your help on this.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/255345-hd-p...ml#post2751187

/Thomas

03-22-2014, 04:19 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The second pic really looks front focused compared to the first one, but I dunno.
03-22-2014, 05:02 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It does but I have manually focused on the exact same point. The TC makes it soft. These are not the only ones I have taken so far. Will do some "far away" testas also to see if there is difference there.

---------- Post added 03-22-14 at 01:42 PM ----------

I now have done more testing and it does not look good =(
03-22-2014, 05:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

As I said in the other thread, my results are the opposite.... maybe your copy of the TC isn't performing up to scratch....

03-22-2014, 05:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
If you are using the K-3, DA*300 and the TC could you make available some test shots with and without the TC for download? I will send mine back but would like to see some comparative shots if I will get a new one because this one is kind of not doing any good.

My upload quota is at the limit so I could not upload my other test shots. Will address that asap.

Last edited by Tjompen1968; 03-22-2014 at 06:26 AM. Reason: spelling error
03-22-2014, 06:06 AM   #6
Pentaxian

My images are taken with the 60-250....
03-23-2014, 03:16 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I don't have the converter, but have seen some reports that a lens+converter is regarded by the camera as a different lens, and that combination requires it's own AF micro-adjustment.

dave k
03-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dave kitson Quote
I don't have the converter, but have seen some reports that a lens+converter is regarded by the camera as a different lens, and that combination requires it's own AF micro-adjustment.

dave k
Correct. I have tested and done some adjustment but also used manual focus in Live View mode. The optical quality in the converter I have does not work well together with the DA*300. It does not contribute. The Kenko I have is optically really good and noticeable better than the Pentax.

I have been out all day in the arquipelago with sunny weather and loads of birds and I had to remove the converter due to not so good IQ. Used the Kenko instead.

I am so dissapointed since I really wan't this to work.

03-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Correct. I have tested and done some adjustment but also used manual focus in Live View mode. The optical quality in the converter I have does not work well together with the DA*300. It does not contribute. The Kenko I have is optically really good and noticeable better than the Pentax.

I have been out all day in the arquipelago with sunny weather and loads of birds and I had to remove the converter due to not so good IQ. Used the Kenko instead.

Sounds quite bad since the Kenko is a rather cheap one and not the top of the line compared to ones available in other mounts. I expect atleast that level from the Pentax one but I would rather have it closer to the Kenko dgx.
03-23-2014, 05:15 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote

Take it back get another one... do an over the counter exchange if you can. It's not likely to get any better. Mine works great. I tried it yesterday on an old F 70-210. Mine works on a 70-210 consumer grade lens, yours doesn't work an a DA*300, you got a defective copy. As I said in another thread about another product, I don't care if it was shipped from the factory, damaged on the way to the warehouse, dropped by the people who sold it to me, if it came new, and it doesn't work, I want a new one. And if that one doesn't work I probably want my money back.

With the F-70-210 and DA 1.4 TC on the camera I went looking for some purple fringing... and didn't find any... this lens definitely has purple fringing problems with the 1.7

The finches on this tree remind me of Christmas decorations...

Last edited by normhead; 03-24-2014 at 07:19 AM.
03-24-2014, 07:01 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter

A couple more DA*300 + 1.4TC on the K-3 examples:

The golden rules of photography still apply so since you are wielding a longer lens, you should up your shutter speed to ensure no motion blur.

Jack
03-24-2014, 07:18 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote

The golden rules of photography still apply so since you are wielding a longer lens, you should up your shutter speed to ensure no motion blur.

Jack
Now that's what I would expect....
03-24-2014, 08:23 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Jack
During the weekend I had the opportunity to shoot a lot of birds in good light and the shutter speed was up at 1/1250 at f8 but still it came out soft. Tested micro adjustment and live view and the same result. Also put on my Kenko and that was a different story. Sharp and crisp images when I got the birds in focus so there has to be something wrong with the TC.

It has been sent back for replacement.
03-24-2014, 08:27 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Jack
Hello Jack !

It seems that you have great success with this combo: DA*300/4 + TC.
This is exactly what I would expect from it and that would make me ordering the (Pentax) TC.
There are a couple of threads, including this one, reporting bad IQ with the same gear and I wonder if that is from a user's technique or a case of a bad TC.

Besides your own images here, which are perfect for the sort of photography I am planning to do, I would like to see more from other users and see if this relates to "faulty" TC's .... I don't know but I am still trying to figure it out by browsing all over the place and get more images.
You are decidedly the first one showing what that combo can do, as expected!

JP
03-24-2014, 08:42 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Jack
Hi again. Is it possible for you to take one shot of an object without and one with the TC using the K-3, DA*300 and @ISO100 and upload the fullsize pics?

---------- Post added 03-24-14 at 04:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Hello Jack !

It seems that you have great success with this combo: DA*300/4 + TC.
This is exactly what I would expect from it and that would make me ordering the (Pentax) TC.
There are a couple of threads, including this one, reporting bad IQ with the same gear and I wonder if that is from a user's technique or a case of a bad TC.

Besides your own images here, which are perfect for the sort of photography I am planning to do, I would like to see more from other users and see if this relates to "faulty" TC's .... I don't know but I am still trying to figure it out by browsing all over the place and get more images.
You are decidedly the first one showing what that combo can do, as expected!

JP
I would have guessed user technique if I had'nt had another TC, Kenko, that is performing good. The problem with the Kenko is that it's AF capability sucks..