Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2014, 11:20 PM   #1
Forum Member

Black finish coming off of Pentax K3? Less then 3 months old.

Just noticed yesterday from a photo outing (had a great photo day minus this issue). Noticed that the black paint coating was coming of the camera body right next to the SD card slot door. This was not due to excessive wear due to abuse. All I do is place my hand over the area when I hold the camera (never dropped it and never scratched it with anything that would take the paint of). Since I just purchased it at the beginning of February 2014, would this be something that Pentax-Ricoh would fix for free under the one year warranty? Opinions or experience by any other members with this same issue or warranty work with Pentax-Ricoh would be much appreciated. Thanks folks.

Ed

Last edited by ronin67; 03-22-2014 at 11:51 PM.
03-22-2014, 11:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

That's a new one on me, in the case of cameras. But we electric guitar players/accumulators know that some people are "secreters" of what is said to be exceptionally acid sweat. Strings deteriorate rapidly for those folks, and bridges and other durable hardware get dull and very noticeably etched in pretty short order. Individual differences can be quite pronounced.
03-23-2014, 12:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Doesn't sound like your fault. Take it back and show them the problem. I would say something has happened when the camera was manufactured. Maybe someone touched the body before the paint was applied, or it wasn't properly cleaned. Painting metals requires perfect cleanliness of the base metal.
03-23-2014, 12:45 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Mine has the same thing going on, even though it has only been kept in a padded case. It hasn't happened enough that it bothers me or I think it is a defect. It also isn't happening anywhere else. I'm not concerned.

03-23-2014, 12:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
That's a new one on me, in the case of cameras. But we electric guitar players/accumulators know that some people are "secreters" of what is said to be exceptionally acid sweat. Strings deteriorate rapidly for those folks, and bridges and other durable hardware get dull and very noticeably etched in pretty short order. Individual differences can be quite pronounced.
This. I have a flute that looks very corroded after 3 years of using it.
03-23-2014, 12:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

But we electric guitar players/accumulators know that some people are "secreters" of what is said to be exceptionally acid sweat...
Yep. And also you can buy artificially aged guitars nowadays, to force the look of having a well-used guitar
Never had to do that, my gear starts to look used very fast on its own, and I can live with that.
After all, it's all tools
03-23-2014, 01:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm like that. Give me a brand new mouse or keyboard and in a month or less it will look like it's six years old the paint will be so worn. I have to replace keyboards fairly frequently. The letters wear off. I haven't noticed it with my cameras, but then again I usually wash my hands before I shoot and wipe any sweat off them that occurs while I am working with a damp towel. Not becuase I am worried about my camera finish, but because I'm already a butterfingers type and I don't need sweat or skin oils complicating matters. I tend to drop things when I get sweaty, and well, I live in a tropical climate, so sweating while shooting is pretty much a given. I eat metal too. I have to watch how long I wear gold or silver jewelry, change things out a lot. Otherwise I end up thinning out whatever I am wearing till it's useless.
03-23-2014, 01:33 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The same thing happens with laptops that use a painted finish around the keyboard and trackpad. Don't feel special: it's the reason museums don't like people touching things, especially marble or paper, but you also see the same thing in limestone caves where people insist on touching the formations.

Having said that, if you haven't noticed the problem with previous cameras, it means there's either been a change in the body colour process, or yours is from a bad batch.

03-23-2014, 05:16 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ronin67 Quote
Noticed that the black paint coating was coming of the camera body right next to the SD card slot door.
A photo of the issue would be useful.
03-23-2014, 06:44 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Maybe you get a K-3 Silver now?

#notsonice
03-23-2014, 08:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

yeah, a pic would be really helpful.

is it chipping off (coming off in little chunks with a hard edge between the black and not black), or does it look more like it's wearing off (smooth with a gradual transition from black to to not-so-black)?

if it's chipping, it could be improper prep before the paint, a little dirt, oil or grease on the body before paint will lead to paint problems pretty quick.

if it's just wearing off, i'm not sure if there's anything that can be done.
03-23-2014, 08:57 AM   #12

I too would like to see an image please

I am very fussy about stuff like that when new but I plan to use the K-3 until it dies so I suspect that mine will look pretty worn by the time I'm done.
03-23-2014, 09:29 AM   #13
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm of two minds here. A new camera like this shouldn't be showing paint wear so soon unless handled eight hours a day since November. OTOH I just acquired a black SP with the paint rubbed oof most of the edges and high spots. Rubbed off from handholding, not scraped off from being dragged and bumped around. CLA'ed, it works like new. In this case it is actually the one camera I use regularly that is also a display piece. It just looks right that way.
03-23-2014, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote

#notsonice
Pentax introducing the fast-brassing effect from the MX-1 to the k-3.
03-23-2014, 01:54 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote

#notsonice
Now that is a good idea! ;-)

---------- Post added 03-24-2014 at 05:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by link81 Quote
yeah, a pic would be really helpful.

is it chipping off (coming off in little chunks with a hard edge between the black and not black), or does it look more like it's wearing off (smooth with a gradual transition from black to to not-so-black)?

if it's chipping, it could be improper prep before the paint, a little dirt, oil or grease on the body before paint will lead to paint problems pretty quick.

if it's just wearing off, i'm not sure if there's anything that can be done.
It chipped off a little. Not worn. Thanks for the input.

Ed