Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2014, 11:18 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Just curious about people's experience ordering the Mestos from Mad for Camera. I placed an order about a week ago and haven't received any indication of shipping although it is supposed to be in stock. Paypal provided a receipt and the MadforCamera website shows "Payment Accepted" and indicated that the item is available.

11-04-2014, 11:51 AM   #17

Don't worry. PayPal will back you up.
12-01-2014, 02:27 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by kthornsberry Quote
Just curious about people's experience ordering the Mestos from Mad for Camera. I placed an order about a week ago and haven't received any indication of shipping although it is supposed to be in stock. Paypal provided a receipt and the MadforCamera website shows "Payment Accepted" and indicated that the item is available.
kthornsberry, have you received for plate? I ordered the plate for k5, thirty days ago and have not got mine yet.
12-01-2014, 03:47 AM   #19

No. I placed my order on 10/25. No bracket. No response to inquiries via web site.

12-01-2014, 05:27 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No. I placed my order on 10/25. No bracket. No response to inquiries via web site.
OOO that looks bad. Maybe check with your CC company about contesting he charge. A month is too long without a word.
12-01-2014, 09:49 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I ordered a plate from them -- took about a month.

M
12-01-2014, 11:49 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
I ordered a plate from them -- took about a month.

M
Thanks for that information Michael. It's been over a month with no evidence of shipping. Were you notified when the plate shipped? If so, how long before you were notified.

Having made 2 unanswered inquiries via their website I just sent an e-mail inquiry. I only have about a week or so before my 45 day deadline to register a complaint with Paypal.

Jorgen, if necessary, make sure you address the issue with Paypal before 45 days is up.

12-01-2014, 02:00 PM   #23

The problem is that Madforcamera does not seem to answer their mails. I do not mind waiting but, I do mind not knowing if they have shipped the plate.

I will wait as long as I can (before the 45 days limit of Paypal) (Thank you kthornsberry!).

/Jörgen
12-01-2014, 07:27 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Having made 2 unanswered inquiries via their website I just sent an e-mail inquiry.
QuoteOriginally posted by jorgen Quote
The problem is that Madforcamera does not seem to answer their mails. I do not mind waiting but, I do mind not knowing if they have shipped the plate.
Well, that sucks! Madforcamera.com seems to be the only english-language place to buy Mestos plates now, and they left eBay after getting a slew of negative feedback for not shipping items and not replying to messages. Almost like "under new management..."

Normally, I would've gotten the RRS bracket for the K-3 body by now, but it sticks out toward the front of the camera on the side, apparently to prevent blocking the port flaps. To me, it looks like it almost covers the AF select button and switch, and definitely covers the headphone jack (just as I've started doing video work).

Naturally, I checked how much it would be to one-off an L-plate of my own design through emachineshop... $230! Off the drawing board (or solid modeler).

Last edited by panoguy; 12-01-2014 at 07:37 PM.
12-02-2014, 07:05 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

which is why I now exclusively use the Acratech generic L-plate with all my camera bodies.
I can remove it whenever I want, leaving a standard AS plate on the bottom of the camera body. I can also adjust it to provide more or less room when needed.

M
12-02-2014, 08:14 AM   #26
Pentaxian

which is why I now exclusively use the Acratech generic L-plate with all my camera bodies.
I can remove it whenever I want, leaving a standard AS plate on the bottom of the camera body. I can also adjust it to provide more or less room when needed.
The Acratech does look like a good design for occasional studio use, but it also seems bulky and cumbersome to bring along "just in case" when out and about. A close-fitting L plate is something I'd leave attached.

I think the Acratech would be great for anyone who wants a very compact way to shoot single-row panoramas with a vertical frame for greater coverage. I think they also show it as way to use the GP gimbal function with smaller cameras and non-collared lenses, which is something I hadn't though of.
12-02-2014, 10:04 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Naturally, I checked how much it would be to one-off an L-plate of my own design through emachineshop... $230! Off the drawing board (or solid modeler).
Would you be willing to ask them what the cost would be for ten? I would imagine that there are at least nine other people on this list that would be willing to pitch in...

M
12-02-2014, 10:28 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Would you be willing to ask them what the cost would be for ten? I would imagine that there are at least nine other people on this list that would be willing to pitch in...
That gets it down to $145 per part, which is still more than RRS charges. Judging from my plinking around with the automated quote system, I'd need to order 25 or more to get it down to the Mestos price.

I think the issue is that CNC machining these requires a solid block of aluminum that is 100mm x 60mm x 40mm, and even though the considerable waste can be easily recycled, the rough volume is still needed. I can try to simplify the design, or use a different alloy of aluminum (magnesium instead of zinc), or forgo some of the beadblast finishing, etc., but I think there is a reason these things cost what they do (although emachineshop marks things up).

Too bad plastic won't hold up to the stress, since I know folks with a very nice 3D printer which would bring the cost under $10!
01-15-2015, 05:25 PM   #29

Access, or balance?

You are right with difficult access to the left-side controls of the body (esp. when wearing gloves), but placing QR plate slightly to the front makes better balance when on a tripod / monopod head.

-----
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Normally, I would've gotten the RRS bracket for the K-3 body by now, but it sticks out toward the front of the camera on the side, apparently to prevent blocking the port flaps. To me, it looks like it almost covers the AF select button and switch, and definitely covers the headphone jack (just as I've started doing video work).