Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2014, 11:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
List of known problems in K3 ?

I am new to Pentax. I just bought a K3, will be delivered in a few days.
Have used Nikon, Sony, Panasonic and Olympus before.
Does anyone have a comprehensive list of things I should test for to look if my copy has known issues?
I am sure it will have some, so its a question of having to live with some and fix others with available firmware if any.

03-26-2014, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Just enjoy it and don't spend time looking for ghosts.
03-26-2014, 11:46 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Do what all good consumers should do...Give your camera's features a thorough workout shortly after you take delivery. Do so for both the features you intend on using and for those that you do not. Doing so has the dual benefit of helping you best learn how you want to use your camera and also what defects might be present. It is better to find the problems sooner rather than later. Don't waste your time trying to ferret out previously reported issues unless the conditions to reproduce are well established. To the best of my knowledge there is only one such case...the failure of manual mode metering when using non-A contact lenses having a non-conductive base. It is reasonable to assume that your camera will have that behavior.

If you have a problem, post it on this site and also contact Ricoh/Pentax support to see if the issue is real and/or might be grounds for an immediate replacement from your dealer.

Steve
03-26-2014, 01:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

One thing I have heard of is the electronic level being severely out of calibration, to the point of making it useless. It is by no means something common, just heard of two or three cases, but worth checking just in case.

03-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
One thing I have heard of is the electronic level being severely out of calibration, to the point of making it useless. It is by no means something common, just heard of two or three cases, but worth checking just in case.
Is that still a problem? My K-5 level is out by a couple of bars and it sounds like a large number of K-5 levels are out by varying degrees. Would have thought this would have been fixed in though???
03-26-2014, 06:28 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Standard things. The autofocus should work quite well, some folks have had bodies where it won't focus, or won't focus reliably. Otherwise just make sure things work as expected.

Then enjoy it. I turned off all the lights and noises, and just enjoy taking shots. It takes a bit to find what it likes and what it doesn't, and there are a few things it doesn't like, but that is learning a tool.
03-27-2014, 09:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Is that still a problem? My K-5 level is out by a couple of bars and it sounds like a large number of K-5 levels are out by varying degrees. Would have thought this would have been fixed in though???
As I said I have only heard of a couple of cases, far from being a widespread problem. Mine is spot on to a tenth of a degree.

03-27-2014, 09:47 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So far there seems to be nothing to report that could be decribed as a problem with all cameras. Just a few people making one or two observations under very specialized and demanding circumstances.

My (early production) copy is actually perfect.
03-28-2014, 09:41 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
So far there seems to be nothing to report that could be decribed as a problem with all cameras. Just a few people making one or two observations under very specialized and demanding circumstances.

My (early production) copy is actually perfect.
The problem with you is that you are not trying hard enough. If need be, beat the camera about the pentaprism with punishing blows until it fails.

Steve
03-28-2014, 09:59 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by debakarma Quote
I am new to Pentax. I just bought a K3, will be delivered in a few days.
Have used Nikon, Sony, Panasonic and Olympus before.
Does anyone have a comprehensive list of things I should test for to look if my copy has known issues?
I am sure it will have some, so its a question of having to live with some and fix others with available firmware if any.
This is not the way to go, a couple of years ago I had a K-r that produced WONDERFUL pictures, the combination of the body, the glass I had and what I was doing with it just worked ... then I got worked up about FF in poor light, I sold it and am still looking to settle on a camera to this day, K3 just arrived this week and hopefully I can be happy again !!

Take some pictures, experiment a little and be happy if you like what you see, if you spend most of your time looking for flaws then you will find many, the perfect camera has not yet been made.