Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2014, 07:14 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Two-button reset to defaults equivalent

Hi there,

I'm a new user on K3.
On Nikon D90, I can hold two buttons together and the camera resets settings related to taking a picture, to defaults, i.e. drive mode, white balance, etc.

Is there an equivalent on K3?

Based on research, I found out about the following two options:

#1) uncheck items from "Memory" under Menu/Camera4. But the camera forgets stuff on every on/off. During events, I may turn off the camera to save power.
#2) select Reset under Menu/Setting3. This is what I like, but it also resets other settings related to the camera usage - such as screen brightness, volume, etc.
#3) There is also a "reset custom functions" under Menu / Custom4. Not that this does what I want, but I like this reset affects only the customs settings.

I read some people recommended using user memory to achieve this. I tried but it didn't work for me.
I saved defaults settings within P mode to a user memory. If I go from P to U1 and then back to P, camera still remembers what I chose in P mode. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

I'm now a paranoia because last month I was experimenting with drive mode and left it multi-exposure mode. Then forgot about it. A few weeks later during a party I thought the camera went crazy (after reading the shutter machine gun threads). Luckily I had chosen 2 photos to be averaged together, otherwise I would have the whole party in one image

I love the image quality, the tones and the ergonomics of K3 so I need it to be fool-proof under pressure

thanks,

03-26-2014, 07:41 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
#1: No need to turn the camera off. It hardly uses any power in sleep mode, and it won't forget your settings in sleep mode.

The best way, when you have decided what "your" default settings should be, is to store them in a user mode, say U1. When you go into U1 (and stay there), you'll have your default settings. If you then change some settings on the fly while in U1 and later want your defaults back, just turn the camera to any other setting and back to U1.
03-27-2014, 06:51 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
#1: No need to turn the camera off. It hardly uses any power in sleep mode, and it won't forget your settings in sleep mode.

The best way, when you have decided what "your" default settings should be, is to store them in a user mode, say U1. When you go into U1 (and stay there), you'll have your default settings. If you then change some settings on the fly while in U1 and later want your defaults back, just turn the camera to any other setting and back to U1.
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it; any change I make while in U1 sticks. I have to do #1 in addition. Do you see the same on yours (not sure if you have K-3 but reading manuals of other models, they should behave similar).