Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2014, 03:07 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Look at the announcement under March 25; they added eight pages: Digital Photography Review: Digital Photography Review

DPR has fallen behind in Pentax DSLR reviews the last couple of years. But they still give fair - and favorable - reviews, I believe. But they can't seem to bring themselves to do a less thorough review (a characteristic I can identify with), so when the improvements are less spectacular or obvious, the reviews go on the back burner. But to a Pentaxian the improvements can be significant. However, it's hard to compete for news space with the spectacular, schizophrenic moves other manufacturers are making, especially Sony. They're coming out with new mounts and all kinds of things. It makes it harder for the customer, but it's interesting news.

I think Pentax will get much faster review coverage when they come out with a full-frame, because it's such a big change. Personally, I think DPR should prioritize the new 645D and then the FF, whenever we see it.
I don't really care at this point, but I do think the K3 is more of an advance over previous cameras than say, the D610 is over the D600. Maybe people really were clamoring the D610 review, but it certainly didn't break a bunch of new ground.

In addition, if the K3 really is quite same old, then it shouldn't take that long to review. The impression I got was that there was enough "new' stuff with the Flu Card and adjustable AA filter that it was taking longer to review.

As I say, I don't care at this point, but for a review site to not review a flagship camera for 6 months after its release does feel like they are falling down on the job.

03-28-2014, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

These new additional pages do not bode well for the final verdict.

I agree with the OP's observations and also noticed that Richard Butler downplays the "AA simulator" feature. Elsewhere this is celebrated as a breakthrough, but apparently DPReviewers shoot hand-held JPGs and therefore don't need an AA-filter at all (sufficient blur provided by camera shake).

I find it outright embarrassing that he regards the lens correction feature as more important than the AA-simulator. The former is only relevant for JPG shooters. Is he really serious about evaluating a flagship DSLR with a revolutionary approach to moiré reduction as a camera to shoot JPGs with?

Just to clarify: Many people like me are not concerned about DPR's verdict because we need yet another review or we need their validation. We are concerned about DPR's influencing power over potential customers. Their verdicts have direct impact on sales figures, there is no doubt about it.

Anyhow, should DPReview really play down what is unique about the K-3 and niggle about the metering being different to that of a mirrorless camera, I guess sooner or latter they will lose credibility. They will still be able to influence the mirrorless hordes, but as DSLRs become more niche, customers and sales personnel will forget about DPR as a useful resource.
03-28-2014, 04:23 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
More Kool-Aid?

I agree. Where does that leave the full K-3 review, compared to, say, the Nikon Df full review, which came out less than a month after introduction? Or anything since? I guess, by your reasoning, they all presented better value, quality, innovation, they were more 'good'. Sounds reasonable, doesn't it?

Well, that explains it completely. The K-3 just wasn't (isn't) innovative enough. Especially compared to the Nikon D610 or Df. Now, there's some breakthroughs.

Pentaxian opinions will always be as welcome at DPR as Pentaxians themselves have been, and always will be. And as popular. That's what I meant.

I find it hard to believe anyone can, in good conscience and fully aware of the facts, defend DPR in this matter. It must be the water they use.
Ron
My recollection is the D610 (especially) and Df reviews were less comprehensive specifically because they explained neither camera broke any new ground. They even panned the Df. Of course it's easier to throw something together for those cameras and put it up on the website. This is not to say the K-3 review wasn't desired much earlier but I sense it's much more exploratory than those Nikon reviews.
03-28-2014, 06:37 AM   #19
Lens Buying Addict

After some years of frequenting other Forums, I started visiting current-technology review websites some time early in 2007. I was not enough impressed with DPR's clunky interface and thread structure to make it worth investigating their content further. Since then I've visited DPR so rarely that I'm not even aware (other than from comments here) they favor one brand or technology over another. I'm not yet sure whether that is good or bad.

Part of me is pleased I haven't fed the trolls. Another part wishes I had fought prejudice. The remaining 98% of me is happy I'm either posting here or playing with a camera.

C'mon, people. Dealing with DPR is Jim Malcolm's job. Just like everything else Hoya and Ned did in the USA, you can't fix it in a year.

03-28-2014, 09:27 AM   #20
Site Supporter

I don't think it's that bad.

The complaints about evaluating >$1k DSLR's for JPEG is valid. I don't specifically see any anti-Pentax bias other than the lack of discussion about Pentax stuff, and that's primarily market-driven, not DPR driven. Check out DPR's review of the K-5. It should be a glowing review, and by-and-large it is.

The K-3 is the best APS-C camera on the market, sure, is there anything in the article that says differently?

"At first glance, the K-3 may look like the K-5 II with a higher resolution sensor, but that's far from the whole story. Ricoh has improved upon the K-5 II in every way, with special attention given to video recording. On the photo side, there's the new sensor (probably from Sony), improved autofocus and metering systems, larger optical viewfinder and LCD, and of course, the selectable AA filter. Performance-wise, the K-3 shoots at 8.3 fps, up from 7.0 fps on the K-5 II."

Anti-aliasing simulator

The most significant new feature on the K-3 is its 'anti-aliasing simulator'. Like the K-5 IIs the camera has no anti-aliasing filter; this improves resolution, but with the trade-off of an increased risk of moiré. Pentax is using the K-3's sensor-shift IS system to simulate the effect of having the filter.
The AA simulator works by applying 'microscopic vibrations to the image sensor unit at the sub-pixel level during exposure', according to Pentax. Simply put, these tiny vibrations cause just enough blur to give the same effect as having an optical anti-aliasing filter. There are two options to choose from - Pentax calls them type 1 and type 2 - which we assume increases the 'strength' of the virtual filter. Pentax says that the AA simulator is most effective when the shutter speed is under 1/1000 sec.
We look forward to seeing how well the AA simulator works, and will post the results in our final review of the K-3."

Looks pretty good to me. They concluded that the AA-simulator wasn't really all that important and honestly I agree for most of my shooting. I'm not shooting fabric on a tripod... well, ever, and an AA filter at 24 MP is only marginally useful to me.

Last edited by ElJamoquio; 03-28-2014 at 09:33 AM.
03-28-2014, 06:17 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
I find it hard to believe anyone can, in good conscience and fully aware of the facts, defend DPR in this matter. It must be the water they use.
Ron
I don't drink water, only Kool-Aid - I thought you already knew that!

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
As I say, I don't care at this point, but for a review site to not review a flagship camera for 6 months after its release does feel like they are falling down on the job.
I don't actually like the situation. I had to decide to get a K-5 IIs without waiting for their review (or anyone's IIRC - I actually pre-ordered it). I had an immediate use for one if it would help, so I gathered what little information I could and determined it was reasonably likely to solve my problems (mostly AF performance). And it did.

But if I were in their shoes, overloaded on workload and trying to prioritize, I'd do about the same thing when push came to shove. It's that simple. I just don't see evidence of any ill-will or intentional slighting here.
03-28-2014, 09:54 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
But if I were in their shoes, overloaded on workload and trying to prioritize, I'd do about the same thing when push came to shove. It's that simple. I just don't see evidence of any ill-will or intentional slighting here.
I agree with this. They aren't some evil hive mind working against Pentax. They are simply a business.
But I am also certain that this 'selection' wasn't happening when Phil ran the site.
03-29-2014, 10:06 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Looks pretty good to me. They concluded that the AA-simulator wasn't really all that important and honestly I agree for most of my shooting. I'm not shooting fabric on a tripod... well, ever, and an AA filter at 24 MP is only marginally useful to me.
I agree, but the switchable AA filter is a powerful security blanket, especially now that it can be bracketed. People agonized over the K5 IIs with thoughts of "what if I get moire?", but this isn't a (real or psychological) issue with the K3.

03-29-2014, 10:15 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I agree, but the switchable AA filter is a powerful security blanket, especially now that it can be bracketed. People agonized over the K5 IIs with thoughts of "what if I get moire?", but this isn't a (real or psychological) issue with the K3.
Yup, that would be the primary use case for me, too... to calm down the 'what if' jitters. I guess we might just differ on how much of a security blanket is needed... user reviews/post processing / etc are showing that moire really isn't that big of a deal at 24 MP.

I shot a bit with an AA-less camera at 16 MP and I was shocked how easily Lightroom took care of some repeating-pattern Moire.
03-30-2014, 07:43 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I have yet to need the aa filter, so I'd agree that it is a neat feature but in most cases not much use. I don't shoot weddings or people. No doubt there are situations where it is needed, and the feature allows the K-3 to be used. The bracketing feature is perfect for that kind of shooting.
03-30-2014, 10:40 AM   #26
BWG

This statement at the bottom of page 1 astounds me!
"Conclusion / Recommendation / Ratings are based on the opinion of the reviewer, you should read the ENTIRE review before coming to your own conclusions."
Uhhhh, it's kinda hard to read the whole review since ya haven't posted it. Sheesh.