Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
04-06-2014, 06:38 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Philbaum: light leaks,... like the extra piece of black plastic tape to be fitted to all 5D3's under warranty, to stop the leak via the top LCD in daylight conditions...

I've had my K-01 for about a year, I think I need to clean the sensor soon, this will be the third time.

04-06-2014, 10:06 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Philbaum: light leaks,... like the extra piece of black plastic tape to be fitted to all 5D3's under warranty, to stop the leak via the top LCD in daylight conditions...

I've had my K-01 for about a year, I think I need to clean the sensor soon, this will be the third time.
Hadn't heard that about the black plastic warranty tape

Having spent 3 decades working on large ship repairs, I can say that its far easier sitting on the sidelines criticizing than doing the work itself.
But that doesn't stop me from having a good laugh or two.
04-07-2014, 07:36 AM   #33
Veteran Member

That tape one was a surprise - there are sections of similar material inside the 5D2 and 5D3 to separate circuit boards from each other, and block light from displays and what not getting to the sensor.

Y'know, when I think about it, we do get pretty damn well treated by Pentax in regards to hardware engineering.
04-07-2014, 09:21 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's In The Air?

Regarding DPR's attitude about Pentax, I think it's an overall, self-sustaining belief that all the non-Canikon brands are inferior, but Pentax is the runt.
They'll occasionally chuckle indulgently when somebody smaller (usually Sony or Oly, it seems) offer a new or different idea, but their loyalties are clearly elsewhere and firmly fixed.
The most dismissive, condescending and often misleading (factually) air, reserved for Pentax at DPR has been ongoing and Simon appears to be a worthy, even enthustiatic caretaker. For the stink of biased reporting to permeate so far, for so long, it must originate far up and early.
But it's hard to grab any one issue by the tail and wave it in everyone's face. No, it's much more pervasive and spread over various reviewers, testers, forums and surely, editors. Slant an early look just a bit. Slow the release date. Use unfair comparisons, explaining later (sometimes, much later) that it was an early error, caused by the OEM in some way. Double whammy points for that one. Use your reality-filter, it's all there and I'm just skimming here.
Too many times, too many different ways and means, for too long, WAY too many different staff, playing the same tune overall, but each getting a solo here and there. It's consistant and the rabid, pack-wolf mentality of the Kool-aid drinkers helps quite a lot, at no cost!
The ravings of a crockpot, lunatic, paranoid? Uh, huh.
Ron

04-09-2014, 09:52 AM   #35
Pentaxian

The K-3 is now barely leading with 7.8% compared to the 7.4% of the Sony RX-10.

Too bad some comments have been removed by DPReview.
04-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, if DPR finishes their review (as they've threatened to do), it will bounce up again.
04-09-2014, 12:22 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Well, if DPR finishes their review (as they've threatened to do), it will bounce up again.
We're such good Click-bait as they're doing things now, why would they ever change?

04-10-2014, 07:20 PM   #38
Pentaxian

The DPReview K-3 review has been published.

As I predicted, they did not include "Built-in sensor-shift shake reduction effectively stabilizes all mountable lenses" as a "Pros" point (again).

With 83% it scores lower than the Nikon D7100 (85%), but that's probably due to the fact that the K-3 is a "semi-pro" whereas the Nikon D7100 is just a "mid-level" camera.