Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2014, 08:28 PM   #1
Inactive Account

WARNING! Manfrotto L-Bracket fit on K-3

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Just got my Manfrotto L-bracket (they are all the same - just the quick-release plates are different for the different QR mounts) - and it doesn't properly fit the K-3 unless you have the battery grip!

I mean it works, but because the distance from the bottom of the lens to the bottom of the camera is soooooo short you can't get it blocked-in so the center-of-frame is the same in both landscape and portrait orientation. If you have the grip on there then it should adjust correctly. If having that equal distance to the lens center from the bottom and from the left side isn't important to you (and it really isn't to me) then it's fine without the grip.

I'm mainly interested in using the portrait orientation to shoot landscape panoramas - all that is really important is that the ball head is centered with the axis of the lens, and that adjustment works fine without the battery grip.

03-28-2014, 08:33 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually - this is good news for the folks who have been looking for an L bracket that will work with the battery grip.

03-29-2014, 12:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I bought this generic L Bracket by Benro for my K-5 a long time ago, and it also perfectly fits the K-3 (it's more snug on the K-3, actually). It's the same L-Bracket you see here in one of the images from the Pentax Forums Sirui T-025x In-Depth Review:

Just one thing to note - if you heavily use the side panel (USB/HDMI connections), you will find them inaccessible once you mount the L-Bracket as it doesn't line up properly (as a dedicated mount would).

If I were buying a new one right now, I'd probably get this one as it seems to be a little better, including an anti-rotation flange. Mind you, slipping/rotating on the above L-Bracket is VERY rare, so you can't really lose either way. And they are both really cheap compared to what L-Brackets usually go for (at least the dedicated ones). I can't tell you if it gives access to the side panel, however my assumption would be no as well. Because I never use it, I've found that this minor niggle has no impact to me.

Regardless of which you get (if you choose to follow my advice), I'd recommend also replacing the mounting screw as the one included does not have a D-Ring that would allow you to twist it with your fingers - you need a coin/screwdriver:

Hope this helps

-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 03-29-2014 at 01:05 AM.
03-29-2014, 04:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ENicolas Quote
Just got my Manfrotto L-bracket (they are all the same - just the quick-release plates are different for the different QR mounts) - and it doesn't properly fit the K-3 unless you have the battery grip!

I mean it works, but because the distance from the bottom of the lens to the bottom of the camera is soooooo short you can't get it blocked-in so the center-of-frame is the same in both landscape and portrait orientation. If you have the grip on there then it should adjust correctly. If having that equal distance to the lens center from the bottom and from the left side isn't important to you (and it really isn't to me) then it's fine without the grip.

I'm mainly interested in using the portrait orientation to shoot landscape panoramas - all that is really important is that the ball head is centered with the axis of the lens, and that adjustment works fine without the battery grip.
Which one?

03-29-2014, 02:00 PM   #5

Is this the one? I have the Q2 quick releases already! I have K3 with battery grip. This could be the answer to my dreams and say goodbye to Really Right Stuff and say hi to savings of hundreds of future dollars!

Manfrotto Q2 L Bracket MS050M4-Q2 B&H Photo Video
03-31-2014, 02:32 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Actually - this is good news for the folks who have been looking for an L bracket that will work with the battery grip.

The grip isn't flat, and the tripod hole is not centered. If it fits the camera without the grip, it's not going to fit with the grip on.
03-31-2014, 05:58 AM   #7

Negative. The above op said it would fit the grip.

03-31-2014, 10:09 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by gosman Quote
Negative. The above op said it would fit the grip.
Good Luck.
04-02-2014, 10:16 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Here's a picture

The model number is MS050M4-Q5

To use the anti-rotation restraining arm marked A, you have to move the plate over to avoid the grip - and that means that distances DB and DC are not equal. So when you flip from landscape to portrait orientation the center point of the lens is raised.

Ideally those distances should be equal, but without the battery grip there's no way to do that AND use the restraining arm, which matters because the damn camera will rotate a bit on the mounting bolt (you don't want to tighten it so much it gets stuck).

Like I said it's not an issue unless you depend on the center of the image staying the same when you change orientation: you have to adjust either the tilt of the ball head or the height of the tripod.

But it's something to be aware of if centering matters to you.
Attached Images

04-03-2014, 06:48 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
Who is up for a square sensor?
04-03-2014, 07:05 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the same bracket for my K5 IIs,
when I bought it, it specifically stated it is for use with a battery grip, but your link doesn't say that.

How odd
04-03-2014, 08:18 PM   #12

Looks quite cumbersome.
04-08-2014, 05:08 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yes it looks cumbersome but it's actually very light. I refer it on my tripod to my Panosaurus 2 - that sucker weighs a ton.
04-09-2014, 02:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
If I were buying a new one right now, I'd probably get this one as it seems to be a little better, including an anti-rotation flange. Mind you, slipping/rotating on the above L-Bracket is VERY rare, so you can't really lose either way. And they are both really cheap compared to what L-Brackets usually go for (at least the dedicated ones). I can't tell you if it gives access to the side panel, however my assumption would be no as well. Because I never use it, I've found that this minor niggle has no impact to me.

-Heie
Is that a tripod mount thread on the bottom of that L-Bracket? If so, that might be a good solution to using an L-bracket with my Spyder holster, I'd have to move to an Arca-Swiss compatible head tho