Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2014, 09:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Reasons for a camera ignoring the shutter button

As far as I understand, the reasons are

1 - not in focus (and configured to not shoot unless in focus, which is the default)
2 - ISO out of range (image too dark or too bright)
3 - RAM memory full after shooting loads of pics in rapid succession (more time needed to flush contents to SD card(s) - this can take ages if recording to RAW)
4 - battery flat

Are there any others?

1 2 and 4 are obvious on the little LCD display. 3 is fairly apparent from the orange SD card LED being illuminated more or less continuously.

But often my K3 just simply refuses.

I used to have it configured for spot focus. Changing it to use one of the pattern options seems to help but that isn't always what I want. Normally I want a specific thing in focus.

I'd appreciate any ideas...

The K5, K200, K100 just took the pic, every time...

03-29-2014, 09:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Too close to subject, (within the MFD.) Though that might be included in #1 as the problem is the lens cannot focus that close
03-29-2014, 09:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Technical issue; the button just not connecting and sending the signal to the camera?

Is it under warranty?
03-29-2014, 10:14 AM   #4

I have from time to time the very same issue with three K-3 and couldn't reproduce it. It happened with all firmwares.
I focus, push the shutter button and sometime the reaction is delayed a few ms. It is like the flash delay issue where nothing happens for a few ms when the shutter is pushed.

03-29-2014, 11:08 AM   #5

I seem to have the exact opposite problem - I have Focus Priority set for all selections as week as having the shutter set to not focus and my K3 (1.03 update installed) will take a picture regardless if it's in focus or not. It didn't use to so I wonder if the latest update 1.03 changed something.
03-29-2014, 11:18 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Make sure Menu Item C4/25 Catch-in Focus is set to 1. Only turn on CIF if you need it.

Jack
03-29-2014, 11:35 AM   #7

Yes C4/25 is set to 1

03-29-2014, 12:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The camera is 2 months old. It's very difficult for a K3 to be out of warranty

The button is being noticed by the software. I can see that much in the viewfinder - the 6-sided symbol is blinking.

It have tried it with C4/25 in both settings and get the same thing. I have now reverted to spot focus and still see the same issue but, subjectively, perhaps less often. Certainly I can easily reproduce a situation where I am holding the button down for many seconds, the symbol is blinking, it is in focus, but the shutter won't fire.
03-29-2014, 12:59 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
C4 - 27 (Aperature ring) set to false would also cause the shutter not to fire. If the contacts are dirty that might cause the problem, but I don't think that's your problem.
03-29-2014, 01:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
The camera is 2 months old. It's very difficult for a K3 to be out of warranty

The button is being noticed by the software. I can see that much in the viewfinder - the 6-sided symbol is blinking.

It have tried it with C4/25 in both settings and get the same thing. I have now reverted to spot focus and still see the same issue but, subjectively, perhaps less often. Certainly I can easily reproduce a situation where I am holding the button down for many seconds, the symbol is blinking, it is in focus, but the shutter won't fire.
On the K-5, when focus lock is achieved, the green hexagon turns on, and stays on. If it can't lock focus, the green hexagon blinks. I suspect the K-3 has the same behavior.
03-29-2014, 08:17 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the symbol is blinking, it is in focus, but the shutter won't fire.
Nope, if it is blinking that means it failed to achieve focus. Could be because there was nothing contrasty enough to focus on, or you were too close to the subject.
03-30-2014, 12:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes - it looks like that. But e.g. yesterday I was taking a pic of a green (grass) field in the distance. You would think a camera should be capable of focusing on that!

Could it be a faulty or worn out lens? The lens is the 17-70 SDM and it has in the past exhibited an inability to move. I still have an extended warranty on it so will send it in...
03-30-2014, 02:03 AM   #13
Veteran Member

But e.g. yesterday I was taking a pic of a green (grass) field in the distance. You would think a camera should be capable of focusing on that!
Not necessarily. Have a look at the last entry in the image below, from the Nikon D4 manual.

03-30-2014, 02:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK - that all makes sense. I just don't recall the K5 doing this, ever.
03-30-2014, 09:20 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do some tests with contrasty subjects that have enough variation to be easy to focus on. If those shots work then I think it is just that a particular shot did not provide what the lens needed to focus on. AF is not magic, in many cases I still find manual focus faster and more accurate.

If however, you find it not locking focus on things that should be easy then it is possible you have a problem with the SDM motor. If you are having any problems you think are related to the SDM and you are still under warranty I would send it in before the warranty expires. The 17-70 does have a history of SDM problems at least in the past.