Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2014, 01:55 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Battery life with Flucard & wifi

I was wondering how users with K3's and the Flucard are finding battery life. My Flucard is on order and I'm curious how fast the wifi drains the battery. Will the grip and second battery be next?

03-29-2014, 04:24 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The flucard draws at most about .5A as per the specs, which means its endurance is several hours even in the worst case scenario (the battery is 1.86Ah). After using it for about an hour, my battery meter was still at full, so I don't think it's a big power hog, as the power used by the wifi is probably offset by the fact that the camera's LCD doesn't need to be on in live view.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-29-2014, 04:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's possible that the wifi has a stand-by mode, when the antenna is off but both devices still report as being connected.
03-29-2014, 04:48 PM   #4
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well I think when in Liveview with a SDM lens and flucard you will drain the battery pretty quick. So have a spare!

03-29-2014, 05:58 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The flucard draws at most about .5A as per the specs, which means its endurance is several hours even in the worst case scenario (the battery is 1.86Ah). After using it for about an hour, my battery meter was still at full, so I don't think it's a big power hog, as the power used by the wifi is probably offset by the fact that the camera's LCD doesn't need to be on in live view.
Looking at the spec sheet of Flucard, it consumes 1.7W max. The capacity of K3 battery is 14Wh. If you ignore the camera power consumption, it runs 8 hours. You should have actual result by some experiment.
03-30-2014, 07:39 AM   #6
Pentaxian

In my experience using it for varying lengths of time it is not noticeable. Similar to a live view session. It uses battery but won't drain it quickly. I did a half to 3/4 hour session yesterday with a bunch of other shots, flash, autofocus, and the battery this morning still shows full charge.

I'd get a second battery out of general principles; you will run into times when a shot presents itself and your battery is dead.
04-01-2014, 03:08 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow! This is great news for the use I am planning (tethered wild life shooting). I imagined the battery would drain a lot faster. Can't wait to get one!

(Incidentally, I am beginning to wonder if I earned myself a spot on Adams ignore list somehow: I asked this same question in two different threads he was active on and got no reply. Hmm. I haven't been annoying on purpose, for sure)

04-01-2014, 05:44 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
Wow! This is great news for the use I am planning (tethered wild life shooting). I imagined the battery would drain a lot faster. Can't wait to get one!

(Incidentally, I am beginning to wonder if I earned myself a spot on Adams ignore list somehow: I asked this same question in two different threads he was active on and got no reply. Hmm. I haven't been annoying on purpose, for sure)
The only problem with shooting wildlife is the slow pace of shooting. It exposes then gets a thumbnail before you can take the next shot.
04-02-2014, 12:10 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Right, that is a bit of a problem. Could still work for more "predictable" compositions, like pollinators with a macro lens... I wish we had hummingbirds in my part of the world.