Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2014, 10:36 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Change of settings during carry

I noticed a changing of settings during carrying the K-3 on the sniper-strap. It changes randomly on the one hand the colour settings or on the other hand the settings for AF... sometimes the picture mode and so on.
Is there a change to lock the buttons on the back of the camera?
The only solution is to switch off the camera during hanging on the strap and switch on before use... Does anybody has a solution for this problem?
Greetings
Oliver

03-30-2014, 12:44 PM   #2

What is even worse is that during a shoot these changes will occur. Most likely from hitting the wrong button during the frenzy of shooting. It would be nice if these settings could be locked in place!
03-30-2014, 03:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

my first experience with a rented K-3: halfway through evaluating it suddenly all my images were in "psychedelic" colors, which I quickly recognized as some sort of (so called) "creative mode". Not having the time to figure it out, I just reset everything to factory defaults and kept on shooting (not realizing that factory default meant JPEG only!). Anyway, I always turn my camera off when not shooting so this no longer happens. As a side note: this kind of thing sometimes happens on my Nikons too, so it is not unique to Pentax.

Michael
03-30-2014, 03:08 PM   #4

I hang my K-3 upside down with the famous black rapid strap like a gun slinger. I'm sure it is rubbing next to my gun side hips after I shoot and before it sleeps. It may be hitting the controls then. But I don't like having to turn on and off the on button- much rather touch the shutter release button and awake it! It is the journalistic training in me for street shooting.

03-30-2014, 03:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Cross posted from the K3 post your pictures thread

I took a 1hr 30 minute trip to a location today after an 87hr week as I simply couldn't take any more emails and phone calls wanting me to do this or that. So I decided on some photographic R&R in the West Highlands. I trekked out to my chosen location and set up my tripod, panoramic head and rail. I mounted my K3 and grip on with an L -bracket, selected and my landscape user mode, and started shooting some HDR panoramic shots. HDR Panoramas are new to me and I was keen to try them out. It was very bright and also very hazy. I thought I could see a weird colouration on the play back, but thought it was just my eyes not adjusting from looking at the scene and then to the rear screen.

To cut a long story short my user mode had somehow changed to cross processing with images recorded at JPES S ***. I discovered this on my return home. I sighed deeply and formatted the card. A hard lesson learned. I still have absolutely no idea how my user mode 1 got to have these settings, but from now on I'll check before shooting. As R&R goes the trek was fine but the benefits were rather negated when I viewed the contents of the SD card.
03-30-2014, 05:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Happens to me usually when I have the grip shutter enabled and it rubs the e-dial. I usually turn off the top switch now to make sure this doesn't happen. One way to get around this is to set up a USER mode as you want and then before every shooting session, turn the camera on and off. This resets to saved settings in that mode. I am usually not worried about a few seconds startup time in my mode of shooting. YMMV.

Jack
03-30-2014, 08:51 PM   #7

Unipunk- the cross processing has happened to me too. My Pentax rep told me that she thought that this could be reversed in-camera post processing. I have been able to take care of it in post processing in Photoshop thankfully.

03-30-2014, 09:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zamke14 Quote
Does anybody has a solution for this problem?
Problem solved:

In the good old days, my film cameras always had a case attached. But today, no-one (myself included) uses camera cases anymore. They do solve some problems. Those protecting my film SLR's certainly took some beatings and earned their keep.
03-30-2014, 11:16 PM   #9
Forum Member

I too had this experience with my new K3 when going for a safari in Tanzania. Every now and then in bumpy jeep rides the settings would unintentially change. Most often the color balance or shooting mode, when the four-way dial on the back side got hit. It is interesting that my older K5 (first version) did not have the same issue. I think the four-way dial got a bit flimsier with the K3.
03-31-2014, 01:56 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gosman Quote
Unipunk- the cross processing has happened to me too. My Pentax rep told me that she thought that this could be reversed in-camera post processing. I have been able to take care of it in post processing in Photoshop thankfully.

If I had not shot exclusively in JPEG S mode but instead had RAW I could undo the damage. But a JPEG S is fixed as cross processed. Possibly with a lot of manual PP it could be sort of rescued but not worth it for the output quality at JPEG S.
03-31-2014, 07:10 AM   #11

Check out the new Mindshift Gear "UltraLight Camera covers". These are lightly padded covers that have an attached waist belt and are not attached to the camera.
UltraLight Camera Cover | MindShift Gear