Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2014, 05:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

RICOH Flu Card Demo

New vid from Ricoh.
Confirms that future models will be supported too.

04-03-2014, 05:17 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
New vid from Ricoh.
Confirms that future models will be supported too.

Pentax FluCard Demo - YouTube
Yup, that's what they said at CP+. Hopefully future models get native tethering though

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-03-2014, 05:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Native as in no WiFi card necessary?
IMHO this ought to have been added to the K-3, being a flagship APS-C and all. Not like the technology doesn't exist.
04-03-2014, 05:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm glad it's not a one off product. That means there will probably be firmware updates for the card to support more features.

04-03-2014, 06:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Native tethering would be better and they will get marked down in future reviews if it requires use of an SD card. It's okay in a camera with dual SD card slots, ie, K3 as you can still get a fast SD card for one slot but in a camera like the K50 having to use a wifi card is going to be painful for high frame rate shooters.

Note: I have no idea what the percentage of high frame rate shooters who would also want to use tethering simultaneously would be.
04-03-2014, 07:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I think the flu card thing is a bad decision to implement this. It is too expensive, what happen if they choose to implement natively in the future (which should be the way to go). Or maybe it will come with the camera 'free' when you buy pentax camera. I don't see how this implementation will last...

worst yet, in future when people talk about K3, they might say "this is the first camera to introduce sensor shake based moire reduction without a AA filter, but it also the only camera that uses the strange flu card for wifi and tethering".
04-03-2014, 07:20 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
Since I've been busy of moving back to my country and sledom spent time in this forums for a couple months so I havn't updated about this card in details.
This might be a silly question and somebody might asked this already. Is it compatible with K7 and K5?
Thank you very much.
Sunny

04-03-2014, 07:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You might be able to use it to wirelessly transfer files like you can with the EyeFi, but the Pentax Flu isn't backwards compatible to the K-7 and K-5 for tethering support.
04-03-2014, 08:58 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
So I cannot control K7 and K5 via smart phone when I use this Flu card, right?
04-03-2014, 09:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nope...
This is a new feature for the K-3 and beyond (apparently)
04-03-2014, 10:04 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I think the flu card thing is a bad decision to implement this. It is too expensive, what happen if they choose to implement natively in the future (which should be the way to go). Or maybe it will come with the camera 'free' when you buy pentax camera. I don't see how this implementation will last...
I think that Pentax should invest for the imaging technologies as the competitive advantage of the camera rather than the communication technology which is less important for the camera. The camera is quite different product from PC or Phone as an Internet device.