Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2014, 02:31 PM   #1
Unregistered User

Limiter

I am trying wrap my head around the exposure and the possibility to limit different aspects of the exposure. We have the possibility to limit the AutoIso.
When I am shooting I normally use Av or M-mode but when in the woods the light shifts all the time so I use TAv alot. When bright Av and when dim TAv.
I would like to combine these modes into one. Well P-mode then? No, I want to limit the shutter speed so that I can handhold a long lens and also limit the f-stop so it does not open or closes fully depending on the lens used. Tv-mode with f-stop limits or Av-mode with speed limits combined with autoiso on or off as today.

In other words I would like to be able to limit the lowest and highest f-stop when in Tv-mode or the lowest and highest shutter speed when in Av-mode so that, together with AutoIso, I could set min f-stop higher then fully open which the camera does when in Tv-mode when the light gets dim and instead rise the AutoIso when at, for instance, f-6.3 instead of f-5.6. This because my 70-200 f2.8 is to soft when at 2.8 so I always put it on 3.2 or 3.5 and it becomes "unsofted".

Why? Well I have found that when I am hiking the light shifts dramatically from time to time and if a bird or deer comes jumping arround in bright light and I am in TAv-mode it over exposes or if I am in Av-mode and comes into a dark place it under exposes or if I use Av + AutoIso the shutter speed sets itself to 1/500 when I use the DA*300+ Pentax TC. If I set AutoIso to Slow it becomes 1/250 or Fast 1/1000. I want to set it to 1/320 which is the lowest speed I can handhold and get sharp results and 1/500 gives almost a full stop of ISO that the AutoIso cranks up and I want to keep the Iso as low as possible.

Well, a very long post but I wonder if I am alone thinking in these terms or is it hidden somewhere already and I just hav'nt found it.

/Thomas

04-04-2014, 02:35 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There isn't such an option, but what you can try to do is change the camera's program line so that it opts for faster shutter speeds.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-04-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
Unregistered User

I have tried but it always comes short. What I would like is that the C-6, Auto EV komp, would raise the shutter speed in TAv-mode if the ISO goes down to 100. When a fox comes running I raise the camera and I am so excited so that I don't see that the ISO is blinking 100. Well it would be nice to have the option.
04-04-2014, 04:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pretty sure TAv is your best bet. Post-processing can do wonders to get rid of noise these days.

04-04-2014, 08:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I am trying wrap my head around the exposure and the possibility to limit different aspects of the exposure. We have the possibility to limit the AutoIso.
When I am shooting I normally use Av or M-mode but when in the woods the light shifts all the time so I use TAv alot. When bright Av and when dim TAv.
I would like to combine these modes into one. Well P-mode then? No, I want to limit the shutter speed so that I can handhold a long lens and also limit the f-stop so it does not open or closes fully depending on the lens used. Tv-mode with f-stop limits or Av-mode with speed limits combined with autoiso on or off as today.

In other words I would like to be able to limit the lowest and highest f-stop when in Tv-mode or the lowest and highest shutter speed when in Av-mode so that, together with AutoIso, I could set min f-stop higher then fully open which the camera does when in Tv-mode when the light gets dim and instead rise the AutoIso when at, for instance, f-6.3 instead of f-5.6. This because my 70-200 f2.8 is to soft when at 2.8 so I always put it on 3.2 or 3.5 and it becomes "unsofted".

Why? Well I have found that when I am hiking the light shifts dramatically from time to time and if a bird or deer comes jumping arround in bright light and I am in TAv-mode it over exposes or if I am in Av-mode and comes into a dark place it under exposes or if I use Av + AutoIso the shutter speed sets itself to 1/500 when I use the DA*300+ Pentax TC. If I set AutoIso to Slow it becomes 1/250 or Fast 1/1000. I want to set it to 1/320 which is the lowest speed I can handhold and get sharp results and 1/500 gives almost a full stop of ISO that the AutoIso cranks up and I want to keep the Iso as low as possible.

Well, a very long post but I wonder if I am alone thinking in these terms or is it hidden somewhere already and I just hav'nt found it.

/Thomas
What you have described here are many reasons why P&S style shooting is not adequate for many situations. I realize that too in many cases, I have to switch between Av mode and TAv mode in street photography (note: P mode is not the same in most situation as you don't have much control over ISO). IMHO a hyper-TAv mode where one can set the minimum shutter speed (say, 1/125 depending on focal length of lens) would be the most ideal mode. I wish Pentax can come up with that before anyone else and implement in firmware.
04-05-2014, 04:26 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote

/Thomas
All those settings to control all this will eventually make the menues much harder to get a hold of. Cameras of today are already a lot more advanced than most people can handle and I think Pentax know this and are working on making them easier to use instead of stuffing even more seldom used functions in there.
04-05-2014, 05:07 AM   #7
Unregistered User

Well, I think that the more flexibility you have to tweak things the way you want it will make it easier to use depending on the situation. Also it gives you the possibility to grow into the camera. Back when I shot film there where many photos not taken due to the cost of film. Today you can do what the pros did, just spray away if needed. The function I look for is easy to put together with the P-line and add to User mode config and memory config. If combined with which lens used it would be perfect.

04-05-2014, 08:30 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
P and MFT mode is probably closest, but yeah; you cannot dial in your own settings.

The custom firmware project, in the future, is probably the best bet. I personally wanted
user-defined micro-calibration files read from the memory cards. Calibrate every focal length,aperture
and then you could even make it dependent on light source etc.

Like StigVidar said, I doubt anything like this would be implanted officially.

Last edited by ALiEN|PoV; 04-05-2014 at 08:31 PM. Reason: i spel raully wellll
09-27-2021, 01:36 PM   #9
Unregistered User

And then came K-3 III and gave me what I wanted =)