Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2014, 03:31 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Bugs and instability

Anyone else running into greyed out options and buttons that don't work on the K3?

Some settings that I change.

Raw
DNG.
Highlight correction off
shadow correction off
High Iso NR off
Shake reduction off
Fx/Raw button toggles Shake Reduction
Instant preview off.
Link ae and af point on
C16 Focus priority
Hold af high.
Af with remote control on
Use aperture ring on
Save menu location on

Otherwise the defaults.

I have 3 user modes as follows:

TAV with Center weight metering and select 7 afc. Continuous shooting
TV the same
TV with spot metering and spot AFC.

What I would see is menu items greyed out, some info screen items greyed out that should not have been, ie. SR toggle. And latest is the four button switch not bringing up any of the screens, ie not being able to change the drive mode.

I purchased a K-3 back in November when they were first available, call this body A and ran into the SR and other toggles on the info screen being greyed out. A reset in tools/3 cleared the problem and it was trouble free. In January I dropped my body with DA300 attached, bent the mount flanges on both, sent them to Pentax Canada for repair. I purchased a second body, body B and was shooting mostly with my Sigma 150-500 most of the time, with a variety of other lenses, as well as a metz flash and a sigma ring flash. No issues with the second body until today. I purchased an HD 1.4 TC when it was released, and didn't use it other than to test a few things because my 300mm was off for repair.

So I got everything back last week, lens fixed, body fixed. The body was reset to factory settings when repaired. I set up all the things as described above, turned it off. The next day shooting the drive select button wouldn't work in any of the user modes, but would work in AV, TV etc., then didn't work in any of them either. The physical buttons work for scrolling through menus or selecting the info page items. But not drive mode, flash, WB or color space. Did a reset, and all was fine for a while.

I've been shooting with the HD TC and DA*300 on body A. It was fine, everything worked as expected until I put it on a tripod to test and adjust the lens. The drive button stopped working again. I reset it, and it was fine.

Today I took out the body B with the TC and 300mm, all worked fine. I shot in TV and was fiddling with buttons with no issue, took a couple hundred shots. Used the sigma flash, no issue other than fiddling with exposure.

This afternoon I set body b on a tripod to test the lens alignment, using a plug in remote. I couldn't access the drive mode. This is the first time I ran into this issue with body B.

When the Flucard showed up I used it quite extensively with body B without any issues.

Both are at 1.03. Pentax batteries, two from the new bodies and two from the K5. Seeing the second body do the same thing surprised me because I thought the issues had gone away.

Pulling the battery or cycling the on-off switch doesn't fix any of the problems.

I await 1.04 with further stability fixes.

04-05-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
HDR causes many things to get greyed out.
04-05-2014, 04:21 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Also when you're in select af mode, the 4 way pad doesn't control the shooting functions. I don't think any of these things are bugs, but the fact that the k3 has a lot of feature plus some button duplication certainly adds a degree of complexity to the interface.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-07-2014, 06:00 AM   #4

In Av mode I've had the issue that the read dial did not react after taking a picture. I had to do a focus on something and then the rear dial would change the aperture again. Firmware 1.03.

04-07-2014, 06:42 AM   #5
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
What I would see is menu items greyed out, some info screen items greyed out that should not have been, ie. SR toggle. And latest is the four button switch not bringing up any of the screens, ie not being able to change the drive mode.
SR-toggle turns grey if drive mode is for instance set to 2s. Manual says the SR is automatically turned off when Self timer, MUP or Remote control is set.

The 4 way becomes focus point select if you change focusing mode and have focus select selected. Page 14 Item 13 in the english manual shows the symbol to look for if the rear LCD is turned off.

Might these be your culprits?

Last edited by Unregistered User; 04-07-2014 at 06:52 AM.
04-10-2014, 05:02 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by dicks Quote
In Av mode I've had the issue that the read dial did not react after taking a picture. I had to do a focus on something and then the rear dial would change the aperture again. Firmware 1.03.
Iīve noticed that i accidently hit the "change focus point" button and couldnīt change settings with the rear dial.
Had to turn camera off and on before I figured it out.
07-10-2014, 10:57 PM   #7

This has been fixed with 1.10

07-10-2014, 10:59 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

This can easily happen with any Pentax DSLR if you use instant review or if you go to playback mode, since the rear dial is then used for zooming in on the image.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-10-2014, 11:08 PM   #9

Yes, I know that. But if you move it after instant review it should change the aperture, in 1.03 it did nothing until you initiated a focus. Now with 1.10 it will change the aperture, as it should, without needing to do a focus.