Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jhmos Quote
Well, I'm still learning new things about this camera.
I switched to using AF2 and using the AF button for focusing. I just realized that the camera ignores the Focus Priority settings for AFS and AFC modes, so the camera will not wait to be in focus before firing the first shot (tested with a 18-135 WR).
That does not seem right, I can't see a reason why the priority setting should be ignored.
Whilst not related to the op issue .......

Focus priority <> Focus Mandatory

All focus prioity means is the camera will attempt to focus rather than fire shutter whilst tracking a subject
shutter prioity means the camera will attempt to fire the shutter at the rated frame rate rather the focus.

It will alter percentages and first frame lock not if an images is focused or not on an individual basis.

04-11-2014, 11:16 AM   #47
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I wouldn't go so far as to accuse a new member of being a troll.

However, there's someting strange about the entire thread given what appears to be misuse of a medium quality zoom, handholding at 1/13 for macro (I call BS on that), inability to respond to suggestion, stated desire to change brands rather than exchange the camera, sensor dust, claims of performance by other brand not attainable in nornmal use by other members, etc.

Probably just a buyer with inflated expectations, not some unemployed dude in his Mom's living room sitting in his Dad's Barco-lounger in his PJ's making up #$%^ to post on the internet.
I guessed it was something like that that it meant. And yes I have felt that this CindyV either is a "troll" or just very misguided.

I rest my case on this one.
04-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #48
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
However, there's someting strange about the entire thread given what appears to be misuse of a medium quality zoom, handholding at 1/13 for macro (I call BS on that), inability to respond to suggestion, stated desire to change brands rather than exchange the camera, sensor dust, claims of performance by other brand not attainable in nornmal use by other members, etc.
Plus the fact that the OP did have the camera at the shop for an exchange and walked out the door with a new camera without showing them the other BIG problem with the system. The way I am reading this is that the expectations for acquiring focus on the desired subjects (for example, reflections on moving water?) are not met by the camera.

This is a no brainer...spend your money on Canon. Their product will lock focus, but the results may be...ummm. Or spend your money on Nikon and get better performance for many subjects, but maybe not those in the posted examples.

Steve

(BTW...would suggest catch-in-focus for hand-held (if one insists) macro and close focus work...)

---------- Post added 04-11-14 at 12:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I guessed it was something like that that it meant. And yes I have felt that this CindyV either is a "troll" or just very misguided...
...or incredibly beset by magical thinking...

Notice that the OP seems to have disappeared?

Steve
04-11-2014, 12:31 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
(BTW...would suggest catch-in-focus for hand-held (if one insists) macro and close focus work...)
I never remember that, but sure, if all I had was my choice of a Tammy AD-2 SP90/2.5 or an FA50/2.8. Otherwise I'd suggest a ring flash.

Frankly I can't handhold anything below 1/60. I've tried to get a dead leaf on an oak branch for a week morning and evening with a K200/2.5 @f/5.6 and ISO 800 from 20 feet (which would make a nice 3D effect versus the distant background) - giving me about 8" of Total DoF - and I can't stop the motion blur. My hat is off to the OP if s/he really gets sharp images at 1/13.

04-13-2014, 08:34 AM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Whilst not related to the op issue .......

Focus priority <> Focus Mandatory

All focus prioity means is the camera will attempt to focus rather than fire shutter whilst tracking a subject
shutter prioity means the camera will attempt to fire the shutter at the rated frame rate rather the focus.

It will alter percentages and first frame lock not if an images is focused or not on an individual basis.
I see you are right for AFC mode. However with AFS, set to Focus Priority and with the AF button set to AF1, the shutter will never fire if focus is not achieved. Whereas, changing to AF2, holding the AF button the shutter will fire immediately when pressed. Catch in Focus (using a manual lens) also does not work with AF2.
04-13-2014, 11:46 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jhmos Quote
I see you are right for AFC mode. However with AFS, set to Focus Priority and with the AF button set to AF1, the shutter will never fire if focus is not achieved. Whereas, changing to AF2, holding the AF button the shutter will fire immediately when pressed. Catch in Focus (using a manual lens) also does not work with AF2.
Weve discissed this on another forum a few months ago, The conclusionwas its by design.

The action for AF2 is your pre-focusing and the extectation is you will not be focsuing whilst shutter pressing, as the af is coupled to shutter you cannot have hte shutters locked due to non-focuss

so with AF2 the shutter is decoupled and will always fire.
04-14-2014, 01:02 AM   #52

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Weve discissed this on another forum a few months ago, The conclusionwas its by design.

The action for AF2 is your pre-focusing and the extectation is you will not be focsuing whilst shutter pressing, as the af is coupled to shutter you cannot have hte shutters locked due to non-focuss

so with AF2 the shutter is decoupled and will always fire.
It may be by design, only the designers would know that, but I don't think it should work that way. I think it would be more consistent if, while you have the AF button depressed, the shutter will release under the same conditions. That way you could choose how AF2 mode works just as can for AF1 rather than having the priority settings being ignored in AF2.
The way it works at the moment (for AFS mode at least), the AFS priority configuration setting ought to be grayed out in AF2 since it has no effect.

04-16-2014, 04:05 PM   #53

Original Poster
Ok, so what is going on here? Both images are zoomed in to 100% and cropped. I shot the sharper image(1145) in Av mode with aperture set to F25 and shutter speed was 1/400. I originally set the camera on P mode because I did not want the background to be in focus. But I tried to get the camera to fire and it would not budge after numerous tries. I then turned it to Av, took a shot and then immediately turned it back to P mode and then it finally took the shot at F6.3 and 1/320. Single focus point was aimed right in the center of the the tip of that tree bark. Doesn't this seem like it must be a camera problem?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-17-2014, 04:35 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Your inside the MFD neither image is focused.

MFD = .5 Metres you look to be closer than that.
and exif states
Subject Distance Range = macro (1)
04-17-2014, 08:29 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

f/25?
Nothing will be sharp at that even if it was in focus.
04-30-2014, 03:59 PM   #56

Original Poster
Problem solved, I finally took that dang thing back. I was hoping it would work out but I just couldn't make it happen no matter what I did. Too bad for Pentax as I happen to be a very good photographer. (multiple international awards) I am going to go with a full frame for now and I will figure out what I want to do as far as a crop sensor later. But maybe I will go for one of their medium format cameras in the future.
04-06-2024, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know this is an old thread. I know it’s a zombie. But reading this makes me wish I knew exactly who CindyV was and if what she said about international awards is true. I can’t imagine anyone thinking f25 is reasonable for good photos. But composition could win over technical knowledge (as it should). Just a fascinating read…