Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2014, 05:54 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ELLE Magazine Video using the Pentax K3

Here is the making of video from our ELLE Haute Couture shoot with the amazing Canadian Model Dauphine McKee...Used the Pentax K3 for the video only on this.

Last edited by Parallax; 04-21-2014 at 04:59 AM.
04-06-2014, 06:46 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Killer cover shot! That's amazing.
04-06-2014, 07:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This cover is really amazing. It's a little sad is made with Nikon, but maybe Ricoh will finally make an FF Pentax. The video is nice too. I also like the rest of those shots.
04-06-2014, 08:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Excellent work all round, as usual.
Nice to see you still using Pentax too, even if only for the video

04-06-2014, 08:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks a lot!
04-06-2014, 08:41 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for sharing this outstanding work...
04-06-2014, 08:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Added tons of grain for the look on this video...

04-06-2014, 08:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Bonjour,

With no offense, I have a personal question to ask you.

My background:
I am new to digital photography. My father is a sculptor and a painter and used Rolli cameras during 60s. He also went to Antarctica to scale maps. Photography is more art and passion to me than paying for my bills. I more or less inherit this from him.

So my personal question to you is did you not quit Pentax?

Rather it was a big blow to the Pentax community since you were kind of a big deal in photography.

Is it because Nikon D600 has oil spot issues? or Pentax K-3 is a better camera OR did Ricoh France make you an offer?

If you don't feel comfortable answering these questions you don't have to. I shared my personal information to give my background and to make you understand where I come from. It is also to make you feel comfortable with the fact, that I am not trying to offend you or demean you by any means. It could be that I don't understand the rationale behind your choice.

It was more or less a kick to the gut of Pentax. I remember reading you mentioned Nikon D600 with 85mm was spot on sharp and Pentax was a nightmare to post process.

I do have a lot of respect for your work.

You don't owe us any explanation. But the fact you kicked pentax so hard and I being a new member (fairly) expects some kind of a reasoning. Why quit and then why come back? Why still hang around the Pentax community?

Bien cordialement,
Deedee
04-06-2014, 10:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

HI Ben,

Great to see you on the site again and I have a similar question. I know that you did some incredible work with the K5 but the auto focus wasn't consistance enough so you switched to the D600. Perfectly understandable when you make your living with this tool. Have you noticed an improvement with the K3? How does the image quality compare to your K5 and your D600? Is the K3 good enough for a working pro to use now?

Thank you and take care,

John
04-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deedee Quote
Bonjour,

With no offense, I have a personal question to ask you.

My background:
I am new to digital photography. My father is a sculptor and a painter and used Rolli cameras during 60s. He also went to Antarctica to scale maps. Photography is more art and passion to me than paying for my bills. I more or less inherit this from him.

So my personal question to you is did you not quit Pentax?

Rather it was a big blow to the Pentax community since you were kind of a big deal in photography.

Is it because Nikon D600 has oil spot issues? or Pentax K-3 is a better camera OR did Ricoh France make you an offer?

If you don't feel comfortable answering these questions you don't have to. I shared my personal information to give my background and to make you understand where I come from. It is also to make you feel comfortable with the fact, that I am not trying to offend you or demean you by any means. It could be that I don't understand the rationale behind your choice.

It was more or less a kick to the gut of Pentax. I remember reading you mentioned Nikon D600 with 85mm was spot on sharp and Pentax was a nightmare to post process.

I do have a lot of respect for your work.

You don't owe us any explanation. But the fact you kicked pentax so hard and I being a new member (fairly) expects some kind of a reasoning. Why quit and then why come back? Why still hang around the Pentax community?

Bien cordialement,
Deedee
Not to sound too pompous, but I am quite certain that I did more for Pentax than Pentax ever did for me. Their marketing and sales personal can attest to that. Nonetheless, our video director/producer is using Pentax for now for all of our video's. She enjoys using it and is familiar with the K01, so using the K3 wasn't such a huge difference. If the status quo changes it will be announced when and if that happens. Pentax weren't able to keep up with my needs professionally at the time. I.e. the issues with focussing being the major issue. However, always loved the ergonomics and low noise output of Pentax. Still do. But won't use them for pro shoots any longer other than for the above usage. I'll be using the Nikon D800 for now, which has stellar output.

Thanks
Ben

---------- Post added 04-06-14 at 08:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
HI Ben,

Great to see you on the site again and I have a similar question. I know that you did some incredible work with the K5 but the auto focus wasn't consistance enough so you switched to the D600. Perfectly understandable when you make your living with this tool. Have you noticed an improvement with the K3? How does the image quality compare to your K5 and your D600? Is the K3 good enough for a working pro to use now?

Thank you and take care,

John
Actually the D800's as I kept the D600 only for a couple of weeks and returned it for the D800's. As to using the K3 for work, I won't take the risk right now as I haven't had the time nor the inclination to really test it out. However, I did recently take some images with the K3 and the DA*200 f/2.8 and although being very nice, it didn't hit the focus point as quickly or accurately as my D800's do. However, Pentax didn't micro adjust the focus of the lens on the camera. Perhaps if the lenses are calibrated, it will be more in line with my expectations. How ever, I don't have the time for that shit! Thus another reason I am no longer with them. Little to no Pro support here in Europe. All I know is this, when I got my Nikon kit, I immediately took all of my lenses to the Nikon Pro Service facility (right in Paris and not somewhere in the suburbs) and they micro adjusted all of my lenses to the bodies and did so for free, all within 48 hours. There you have it!

Best
Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 04-06-2014 at 11:23 AM.
04-06-2014, 12:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Yeah, those are the same complaints that we can had as well. As a working pro, you can't afford the get the run around.

Good luck and don't be a stranger.
04-06-2014, 02:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
However, I did recently take some images with the K3 and the DA*200 f/2.8 and although being very nice, it didn't hit the focus point as quickly or accurately as my D800's do.
Not sure it matters much w/ studio work when you're at f/8 most of the time...or never did to me.
With natural light and wide apertures, I can definitely see why you'd prefer the D800 (even over the D600 which had the D7000's slowish AF system

Glad your video person is making use of your old Pentax lenses...what does she use the most? At least this will quiet some of the noise that the K-3 is useless for video

Elinchrom rotalux nowadays too? I loved your older moody cinematic lighting better but it looks like the magazines prefer this newer style
04-06-2014, 02:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Not sure it matters much w/ studio work when you're at f/8 most of the time...or never did to me.
With natural light and wide apertures, I can definitely see why you'd prefer the D800 (even over the D600 which had the D7000's slowish AF system

Glad your video person is making use of your old Pentax lenses...what does she use the most? At least this will quiet some of the noise that the K-3 is useless for video

Elinchrom rotalux nowadays too? I loved your older moody cinematic lighting better but it looks like the magazines prefer this newer style
When using a 200-300 mm lens, I want it to be spot on as I use it wide open, i.e. f/2.8.

Thank You
04-09-2014, 10:25 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

I know that you did some incredible work with the K5 but the auto focus wasn't consistance enough so you switched to the D600.
Pentax AF had been good enough for the OP for 5+ years.

Then, suddenly one day, someone had to point out to the photographer, that the photos do not have the focus at the right spot and this causes a switch to Nikon.

If you want to believe this incredibly story, it's your prerogative.

Perfectly understandable when you make your living with this tool.
At the time of the switch, the K-5 II had been released already.

As we know the K-5 II's AF is improved over the K-5's in particular with respect to front-focus issues the K-5 sometimes had with certain colour temperatures. It would have been very easy to check out the K-5 II and keep all the lenses, etc.

Instead, a switch was made to Nikon without ever trying the K-5 II.

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Pentax weren't able to keep up with my needs professionally at the time. I.e. the issues with focussing being the major issue.
Given that you did not try the K-5 II -- despite a lot of encouragement from the Pentax community -- you cannot claim that Pentax wasn't able to solve your "major" focusing issue.

I can fully understand that PRO support and perhaps some level of sponsoring is important to a professional photographer. I can understand that one leaves Pentax if one is not happy with the level of PRO support and sponsoring. But that whole "AF suddenly wasn't good enough" story does not really add up.

P.S.: For video, there are better choices than Pentax, e.g., from Panasonic.

Last edited by Class A; 04-09-2014 at 01:20 PM.
04-09-2014, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

I think the Elle cover is badly PhotoShopped.
Her upper body proportions on her left side (where the word "the" is) looks out of proportion and the big triangle background making it look worse. Too much of her body was removed there.

Her thighs look too strong, too big and out of proportion to the rest of the model. Somehow they don't seem to belong.

We often get blinded by "big name Magazine" covers work but they too sometimes get it wrong.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 11-01-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Closed Thread