Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2014, 12:00 AM   #16
KX5
Forum Member

Original Poster
it seems you don't understand my point of view.
Jpeg sooc is bad in the K3.
It's a evidence.
If your practice is to use RAW, that problem doesn't exist. Point.

IMGP0260 par Blu Horizon,@6400ISO (RAW processing)

Last edited by KX5; 04-11-2014 at 12:15 AM.
04-11-2014, 01:12 AM   #17
KX5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Here a good explanation about NR (for Jpeg sooc) issue:

<<One of our observations when using the K-3 is that there wasn't a noticeable difference between JPEGs with noise reduction off and noise reduction set to auto. As unprocessed RAW files contain much more noise than either type of JPEG, we can conclude that the K-3's image engine automatically applies a generous amount of denoising to its files, removing much chroma and luminance noise even with noise reduction turned off.
This makes things easier for the end user, though it also takes away the flexibility of processing noisy JPEGs on one's own.>>

I am comforted by the fact i share the same conclusion that PentaxForums staff!

Read more at: Pentax K-3 Review - Studio Tests - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by KX5; 04-11-2014 at 01:31 AM.
04-11-2014, 01:23 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't see a huge visible noise problem with the K-3 below ISO 1250-1600. Noise is there, of course, but it isn't a distraction. How visible a problem is is largely depends on your in-camera JPEG settings, the shooting and lighting conditions, and the type of scene. The level of apparent noise in a well lit daylight scene at ISO 1600 will be lower than that of a dark indoor scene shot at the same ISO.

Aside from the levels of NR you enable in-camera, your sharpening settings can make a big difference too. If you over-sharpen even a well-lit and exposed K-3 (or K-5) ISO 100 image using the in-camera settings or in post-processing, you will see more noise (or 'grain', if you count that as 'noise'), especially in the shadows and the out of focus areas. The in-camera settings for contrast can also play a role in making a JPEG appear noisy.

However I agree that Ricoh needs to continue to improve the JPEG engine on the K-3. I'm still not completely confident that they have it fully optimised yet.