Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2014, 06:46 AM   #1

K3 - Not in Focus but takes picture in AF2

I have the "Focus with the half press shutter" disabled and use the AF button to focus (Button Customization set to AF2). The camera will take a picture without being in focus. I am wondering if this normal or do I have something set wrong? When it is set to AF1, focus with half press, it won't take a picture without being in focus.

04-07-2014, 06:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Isnt there another menu option where you choose AF priority or shutter priority? AF priority will not allow the shutter to start until focus is achieved; the shutter priority will do a shutter at full press whether focus was achieved or not.
The other thing that affects this is whether the camera is set to AF.S, AF.C or AF.A
04-07-2014, 07:18 AM   #3

Original Poster
I have all AF Priority settings set to Focus Priority and it doesn't matter whether camera is set to AF.S, AF.C or AF.A.
04-07-2014, 08:01 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you specify the AF button only for focus, the camera will take the image without verifying focus. That's why many of us use the back button focus and disable the half press - slow lenses such as my DA-L 55-300 will not rack in and out when I press the shutter release.

04-07-2014, 08:40 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks, sounds normal and that is exactly why I use the AF button only for focus. Just noticed that it would take the image without focusing which is ok with me but I didn't know if it was normal.
04-07-2014, 09:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I noticed that behavior too. It appears that the 'in focus check' is performed only when AF+Shutter release menu item is selected. In short AF1. For all other options K3 or even previous DSLRs would exhibit the exact same behavior.
04-07-2014, 10:15 AM   #7

As a newbie, I read many different posts and replies in my quest for knowledge. So I just have to ask...when and why would you prefer to use the back button to focus rather than half press the shutter button?

04-07-2014, 10:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pyrs n finns Quote
As a newbie, I read many different posts and replies in my quest for knowledge. So I just have to ask...when and why would you prefer to use the back button to focus rather than half press the shutter button?
I refer you to this thread; https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/38-photographic-technique/236970-perfect-...everytime.html
04-07-2014, 11:11 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pyrs n finns Quote
First off, it takes a couple weeks of shooting before this becomes natural.

Essentially it gives you the opportunity to shut auto focus off without having to switch anything. On the weekend I was tracking an annoyingly fast little bird in bushes, the AF doesn't help trying to find it in the branches and brush. So I could press the shutter without it focusing or changing the focus that I set manually. A couple of times the bird went into the open and I was able to hit the AF button and get a shot.

AFS is handy for tough focus situations, and the AF button on the back gives you that. If you hold it down, you have AFC.
04-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
First off, it takes a couple weeks of shooting before this becomes natural.

Essentially it gives you the opportunity to shut auto focus off without having to switch anything. On the weekend I was tracking an annoyingly fast little bird in bushes, the AF doesn't help trying to find it in the branches and brush. So I could press the shutter without it focusing or changing the focus that I set manually. A couple of times the bird went into the open and I was able to hit the AF button and get a shot.

AFS is handy for tough focus situations, and the AF button on the back gives you that. If you hold it down, you have AFC.
That is one of the clearest explanations I have seen on the usefulness of disabling autofocus on the shutter button. I finally understand why they put that AF button on the back of the camera. Thanks!

Thanks also to DogLover for the link to more explanation.