Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
04-11-2014, 10:06 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
"The K-3 is a nice camera, sure, but it really lacks the stopping power of the Mossberg 12 gauge."
You could try picking up a used K-01 to use as a brick if ever you're in a tight spot. Well, maybe not, I love my K-01 and wouldn't like to see one abused.

04-12-2014, 12:48 AM - 1 Like   #62
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
The simple truth is, some people will always complain about what's in a review. But I do agree with cali92rs: some people here say they use Pentax because they want to be different. So, they value their own perceptions above those of others (a very healthy attitude, btw). But then, why do they care so much about what somebody else writes about a Pentax camera? Where is that sense of individualism then? If anything, they should appreciate the fact that someone else has a different POV about something, because it reinforces the fact that there is no one truth, only perceptions, and they are free to follow their own. So read the review, perceive it as you will, and don't get upset when it doesn't completely reflect what you think.
04-12-2014, 01:57 AM   #63

Photos: Albums
Well, this is one of the reasons I chose Pentax to begin with, that and a rich community.
"We" leave no stones unturned, and sometimes it gets a bit obsessive (ahem, why I won't buy a k3 thread), but
it does provided the best forum for rapid growth.

The review just seemed to confirm my own "opinion", K3 challenges the best FF. You can accomplish similar results
or better, especially if the projects are NOT time critical. When projects are time critical faster AF, Tethering and the flash-synch
speed etc, might impact your work flow. YES, DPR they hate us Pentaxians, but we like being underdogs, do we not?
Damning Pentaxian Revolutionists (DPR)!

The real victory, is that they managed to blur the lines between FF and a cropped sensor. It shows promise for the future.

Anways, I love my K3, but I'll continue to whine about the weak manual every chance I get
04-12-2014, 02:20 AM   #64
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ALiEN|PoV Quote
Well, this is one of the reasons I chose Pentax to begin with, that and a rich community.
"We" leave no stones unturned, and sometimes it gets a bit obsessive (ahem, why I won't buy a k3 thread), but
it does provided the best forum for rapid growth.

The review just seemed to confirm my own "opinion", K3 challenges the best FF. You can accomplish similar results
or better, especially if the projects are NOT time critical. When projects are time critical faster AF, Tethering and the flash-synch
speed etc, might impact your work flow. YES, DPR they hate us Pentaxians, but we like being underdogs, do we not?
Damning Pentaxian Revolutionists (DPR)!

The real victory, is that they managed to blur the lines between FF and a cropped sensor. It shows promise for the future.

Anways, I love my K3, but I'll continue to whine about the weak manual every chance I get
I guess I'm more of an "individualistic" Pentax user than you are (I don't even like to call myself a "Pentaxian"; sounds too much like a label to me). And I'd rather grow myself, in a sense of who I am, then worry about growth of a camera brand, even if I choose to use a camera of that brand.

But if the K-3 challenges the best FF, in what way does a D7100 or other advanced crop-sensor DSLR not do that?

04-12-2014, 03:24 AM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
The simple truth is, some people will always complain about what's in a review. But I do agree with cali92rs: some people here say they use Pentax because they want to be different. So, they value their own perceptions above those of others (a very healthy attitude, btw). But then, why do they care so much about what somebody else writes about a Pentax camera? Where is that sense of individualism then? If anything, they should appreciate the fact that someone else has a different POV about something, because it reinforces the fact that there is no one truth, only perceptions, and they are free to follow their own. So read the review, perceive it as you will, and don't get upset when it doesn't completely reflect what you think.
I don't shoot Pentax because I want to be different. I shoot it because I think it has good value and I like the glass I have and don't want to start over.

When Pentax gets better reviews, it means (hopefully) more users and more money for R and D and better cameras in the future. There was a narrative for a long time that Pentax would die an untimely death. Hoya would just kill it off and k mount gear would be worthless. I think that sense of doom has waned a little recently, but I want to see continued improvements.
04-12-2014, 04:00 AM   #66

I guess I'm more of an "individualistic" Pentax user than you are (I don't even like to call myself a "Pentaxian"; sounds too much like a label to me). And I'd rather grow myself, in a sense of who I am, then worry about growth of a camera brand, even if I choose to use a camera of that brand.

But if the K-3 challenges the best FF, in what way does a D7100 or other advanced crop-sensor DSLR not do that?
Unfortunately, your growth and the camera brand is somewhat linked. You need to keep the brand alive, or do you use a
Commodore Amiga?

Cannon? Their price/performance/image quality is terrible. Buy their best, or don't bother.

Nikon? D7100 is a contender, but ultimately they don't want to undermine their own top products.
I prefer a brand that prioritize the cropped sensor segment. Instead of winding me up, get me to invest,
and ultimately force me to buy what they're really selling. Sure I can us D7100 with FX lenses and the best VR,
but then I might as well buy a D800e too.Their DX lenses selection, well, not that impressive on its own.
04-12-2014, 07:02 AM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
As you noted, the review itself was pretty complete and, I believe, properly balanced, particularly in regards to the low-pass filter emulation. As for the points difference between the K-3 and the D7100, I believe that the bulk of that is from the value section. The D7100 is less expensive at a similar performance point.

As for the AF test, the approaching object case is pretty standard. I remember a K-5 review on this site (falconeye?) where this was done using approaching cars.

Steve
I finally read the full review closely and carefully. For the life of me I cannot, now, understand the objections. Other than the amount of time it took to finally produce the review is complete, accurate, complimentary where appropriate and gently critical, also where appropriate. I think Richard Butler wrote an excellent review. If I were he and after all this careful work I got our response I'd ask never to be assigned a Pentax review again.

My quibble is still the rating number. The numeric rating does not reflect my appreciation for the cost allocation choices made by Pentax for build quality and weather sealing over more main-stream features (which I now agree leads to the slight value-based rating bump to the 7100).

I'll just have to accept that as existential. If I want something different it can't be the same.

04-12-2014, 07:47 AM   #68
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
"The K-3 is a nice camera, sure, but it really lacks the stopping power of the Mossberg 12 gauge."
If you are fishing for a job as a reviewer at DPR.....I think you just got it!

Regards!
04-12-2014, 08:16 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Cannon? Their price/performance/image quality is terrible. Buy their best, or don't bother.
With both Canon and Nikon you see them cripple their mid and lower models to protect their "professional" bodies. The 5D wasn't meant to be a professional camera, but the IQ was so strong at the time and it price was so low relative to other FF options it became the standard for wedding photographers. Many professionals dropped their heavy 1D bodies for lighter and cheaper 5D bodies. Pentax has not FF line-up to protect so they put everything into the K-3.
04-12-2014, 09:20 AM   #70

AA filter, very, very important

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I've never turned the AA filter on. I don't think its a really important feature. Its cool technology, but a 24MP APS-C really doesn't need it that much. IF it had been on the K-5IIs then it might be a different story.

I can agree with most of what they say. I'm not a fan of the JPEG colors and Pentax has a lot of work to do with lenses when it comes to AF. The Multi-Area WB is of questionable value.

Its a great camera and DPR did a good job with the review.
Regarding the AA filter, very, very important, bracketing with and without on a wedding shoot saved me some very important shots.
04-12-2014, 01:08 PM   #71
Inactive Account

Unfortunately, your growth and the camera brand is somewhat linked. You need to keep the brand alive, or do you use a
Commodore Amiga?

Nikon? D7100 is a contender, but ultimately they don't want to undermine their own top products.
I prefer a brand that prioritize the cropped sensor segment. Instead of winding me up, get me to invest,
and ultimately force me to buy what they're really selling. Sure I can us D7100 with FX lenses and the best VR,
but then I might as well buy a D800e too.Their DX lenses selection, well, not that impressive on its own.
You really don't understand what I mean, do you? It's ok though. I do.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't shoot Pentax because I want to be different. I shoot it because I think it has good value and I like the glass I have and don't want to start over.

When Pentax gets better reviews, it means (hopefully) more users and more money for R and D and better cameras in the future. There was a narrative for a long time that Pentax would die an untimely death. Hoya would just kill it off and k mount gear would be worthless. I think that sense of doom has waned a little recently, but I want to see continued improvements.
Yeah but I really don't want to care about that. To me, the camera is a tool, and whether it says Pentax or Ricoh or Nikon or Canon on the front, does not matter. Sure I want to see improvements too, but that doesn't mean I chase after every negative or not-overly-positive review on the net to try and correct it. It just doesn't mean that much to me. When someone asks me for advice about cameras I will tell them about Pentax, but more than that, I will listen to their questions and try to help them as best I can. If I start ranting about how great Pentax is I'm sure they'll walk away after a few minutes at most.

Besides, switching brands is entirely possible and probably cheaper than many people think.

Last edited by starbase218; 04-12-2014 at 01:20 PM.
04-12-2014, 01:19 PM   #72
Pentaxian

I'll comment on this review if I ever take the time to read it... , but at this point I don't need to. I already have the camera, I already really like the Camera, there's not a thing they can say at this point that is going to change that. Why would I read a review by some guy who probably hasn't used the camera as much as I have?
04-12-2014, 02:33 PM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You really don't understand what I mean, do you? It's ok though. I do.

Yeah but I really don't want to care about that. To me, the camera is a tool, and whether it says Pentax or Ricoh or Nikon or Canon on the front, does not matter. Sure I want to see improvements too, but that doesn't mean I chase after every negative or not-overly-positive review on the net to try and correct it. It just doesn't mean that much to me. When someone asks me for advice about cameras I will tell them about Pentax, but more than that, I will listen to their questions and try to help them as best I can. If I start ranting about how great Pentax is I'm sure they'll walk away after a few minutes at most.

Besides, switching brands is entirely possible and probably cheaper than many people think.
The issue to me isn't the brand, it is the mount. I don't care if it says Pentax or Ricoh on it. But, if Ricoh decides to stop selling k mount cameras, switching to another mount would be a pretty expensive proposition.

I don't sell Pentax cameras. My dad and brother bought Pentax because they liked my photos, but hopefully they understand by now that it isn't the brand that makes the difference.
04-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #74
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think that sense of doom has waned a little recently, but I want to see continued improvements.
No way...Pentax is doomed!

Steve

---------- Post added 04-12-14 at 02:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I finally read the full review closely and carefully. For the life of me I cannot, now, understand the objections. Other than the amount of time it took to finally produce the review is complete, accurate, complimentary where appropriate and gently critical, also where appropriate. I think Richard Butler wrote an excellent review. If I were he and after all this careful work I got our response I'd ask never to be assigned a Pentax review again.
My feelings exactly. I suspect that the most vocal critics on this thread have not read the review.

Steve
04-12-2014, 03:39 PM   #75

You really don't understand what I mean, do you? It's ok though. I do. .
Hmmm...Atari?