Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2014, 09:53 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
My K3 arrived to-day

Hi all my name is Tom, age 63 my K3 arrived to-day,

WOW I'm like a kid with a new toy?????????

put my Fuji HS50 bridge camera on Ebay, (with extras ) I used that camera to learn more, about different settings.

My new K3 will come with the 18mm 135mm Lens,

I know its not the greatest lense but good enough to learn more about the camera.

so I will be asking a lot more questions as I get more into the K3,
so please try and put up with any sily questions I have to ask as this is my first DSLR
, however I have been watching all the reviews on this camera, and I also learnt a lot from videos on YouTube.

I like , Portrait / Landscape, and macro Photography

Since I now have the 18 135 my next goal is to get a decent portrait lens, then the macro lens,

so all the advice I can get is welcome,

I'm fussy about image quality, I print all my decent photos, I also use lightroom, Photoshop,

anyway I'm relay pleased with the K3

Thanks to you all for the advice I have already received from these friendly Forum Users

Tom G

04-10-2014, 11:19 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the world of DSLR. No questions are to silly. This camera can be a bit difficult to understand sometimes. Even I who have had three Pentax DSLRs sometimes stand clueless to why it will not do as I want. Read the manual several times and also download and read the manual for the K-5 which is more in detail for some features. The manual for the K-3 is a little thin...
04-10-2014, 12:28 PM   #3

Welcome...enjoy. Tremendous amount of great information on this site. You mentioned Portrait/macro Photography, suggest you consider adding a macro type lens. My favorite is the Pentax smc Pentax-D FA 100mm f/2.8 WR Macro Lens on my K3, (~$850 at B&H and rated 9.0 on Adam's lens review). You will be very pleased with image quality.
04-10-2014, 01:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum Tom! Looking forward to seeing some of your images.

04-10-2014, 01:14 PM   #5
dbh
Inactive Account

Hi and welcome. Your enthusiasm is evident, and refreshing! I think you will get good results from that zoom and after a few months of use you can look back at the photos and see what your favourite focal lengths are - and consider a nice high quality prime or 2 at those most used FLs. My favourite primes are the DA15, DA35 macro and DA70 limiteds. For some macro scenarios I am glad I have the Sigma 180 Macro. I also like to use an off-camera flash (or 2) when doing macros, but then I enjoy playing around with lighting.
Have fun! And don't be shy to post some photos...
04-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you all for the encouragement I have spent the whole night reading about lenses, my minds puddled,
its hard to remember everything I've read when your an old cadger?

it is now midnight and I have to retire and dream about my new camera what a thought ??????????????????????????

I'm trying to get away this weekend or the beginning of next week and get a few photos
Thanks again for advice and help.
Tom G
04-10-2014, 05:56 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Tom,

I'll add my welcome. Congratulations on your new camera, and for sharing your excitement. The 18-135 lens will get you started very nicely.

Hope that you will find a few minutes to post some of your pictures.

- Craig
04-10-2014, 06:50 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Welcome...
Get the Sigma 70 macro, both a great portrait lens and a great macro lens. Very sharp, excellent bokeh, a little on the heavy side though.

04-11-2014, 01:00 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I would recommend the Tamron AF SP 90/2.8. Excellent Macro, tack sharp from f/2.8. Also the Tamron 70-200 2.8 for mid zoom range and then you absolutely need a DA*300 with the new Pentax converter. =)
04-11-2014, 09:38 AM   #10

Original Poster
Hi all again
Thanks again for advice been looking at the macro lenses I would like users opinions Please
here are the three macro lenses

Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP A/M 1:1 Macro Lens Pentax £224

Pentax smc DFA Macro 100mm f/2.8 WR Macro Lens £449

Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 DC Macro HSM Lens - Pentax Fit £349
I was going to go for the Pentax lenses,
but the Tamron is almost £225 cheaper,
But I do know the cheapest/ or most expensive is not always the best
so I need advice.
which one would be good for Portrait and best IQ I read abut the Tamron and was put of a bit because of having to flip a button on it but I stand to be corrected by the more experienced users.

anyway been messing about with my K3 to-day I have upgraded the firmware to 1.03 it had 1.02 on it so that's all done, still not sure of some of the settings,
although I like that Tav mode good for learning I think

It's such a "WOW"
great camera I could learn in most modes, and the IQ is great and that's what I think with an 18mm 135mm lenses. I think at f5.6 its a little better, but I'm still a learner,
cant wait to get a high quality lenses, one of those Limited's thingy's?????? only kidding
You have just got to have a sense of humour on some of the forums, some people are so Seriousssss. LOL.
Tom G
04-11-2014, 01:44 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What I would do is settle into using it with whatever lens you have and find out about the range of controls and how to get what you want.

Get used to what you want to do with it and how to get the best possible approximation with what you have.
Then identify the 'felt deficiencies' and only then look for a solution. This might also give you a longer acquisition cycle which keeps the excitement of getting something new going for a longer period - and it is always the answer to a particular need.

This way you might get knowledge of the particular features of an accessory which you particularly need which will help you choose model b from the list of A,B,C,... available.

And do not ignore the possibility of sourcing good stuff secondhand. A lot of the old lenses were very good, and show up well with K3. (I have only ever mounted lenses at least 39 years old on mine.) I feel it gets much more from those lenses than I was able to get before. (I bought all of them s/h over the past 5 years.)

And in computer speak: a K3 is a good box to put on your lenses.
04-11-2014, 01:48 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
What I would do is settle into using it with whatever lens you have and find out about the range of controls and how to get what you want.

Get used to what you want to do with it and how to get the best possible approximation with what you have.
Then identify the 'felt deficiencies' and only then look for a solution. This might also give you a longer acquisition cycle which keeps the excitement of getting something new going for a longer period - and it is always the answer to a particular need.

This way you might get knowledge of the particular features of an accessory which you particularly need which will help you choose model b from the list of A,B,C,... available.

And do not ignore the possibility of sourcing good stuff secondhand. A lot of the old lenses were very good, and show up well with K3. (I have only ever mounted lenses at least 39 years old on mine.) I feel it gets much more from those lenses than I was able to get before. (I bought all of them s/h over the past 5 years.)

And in computer speak: a K3 is a good box to put on your lenses.
Yea tim60
Good advice one can get over excited its great though,???
Thanks Tom G
04-11-2014, 03:03 PM   #13

Tom, You already have a "decent" portrait lens with the 18-135.

If you want a "great" portrait lens, the 55/1.4 DA* or the 70mm/2.4 Limited are about as good as it gets I have both and use the 55 DA* the most.
04-11-2014, 03:16 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks NotaxPen will have a look
Tom G