Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2014, 11:25 AM   #1

Help with my laughable error :)

So I was going camping last weekend and I went to take some night shots. As I went for the shot, my battery died, so in the dark I changed my battery. The camera wouldn't turn on, so I went to take out the battery, and it would not eject. Come morning time I realized I had put the battery in backwards! Now it's stuck, with a bit of wiggle room side to side.
Any suggestions about how to fix this? With spring finally arriving here in Ohio I'd love to take some shots
Thanks I'm advance!

04-10-2014, 11:40 AM   #2
Site Supporter

The following 2 threads might help:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/120-general-technical-troubleshooting/169...tuck-k20d.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/254925-pentax-q10-battery-stuck.html

Is there enough room to get tweezers in there?
04-10-2014, 11:53 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tried to put it in the wrong way but I could not get it all the way due to the small outcropping in the bottom. Did you force it alot? I think the glue idea is worth a try.
04-10-2014, 12:27 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Try this:

Make a tab out of strong heavy-duty adhesive tape - something like Gorilla Tape. Afix the tape to the exposed end of the battery and down the sides if there is clearance. Wiggle the battery as you pull up slowly. The battery might come loose before the tape pulls off. Duct tape might also work. Masking tape probably not.

- Craig

04-10-2014, 02:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Try this:

Make a tab out of strong heavy-duty adhesive tape - something like Gorilla Tape. Afix the tape to the exposed end of the battery and down the sides if there is clearance. Wiggle the battery as you pull up slowly. The battery might come loose before the tape pulls off. Duct tape might also work. Masking tape probably not.

- Craig
My addendum to Craig's suggestion: That Gorilla tape "sets up" into a stronger bond over the course of days. So I'd get down a firm, broad attachment; then wait 2-3 days before attempting the extraction by this method. Of course, there's also the glue approach...
04-10-2014, 04:13 PM   #6
Forum Member

If you have a hardware store nearby, ask if they have "spring stock", it's basically a thin piece of flat metal. Get the thinnest gage they carry, slide that between the battery and compartment, twist with your wrist (this makes tension between the compartment and battery) and pull. The more you twist, the more tension. This may put a scratch on your battery and compartment if you're not careful, but it won't actually cause any damage.

Make sure you pull slowly - pulling fast WILL gouge the plastic of the battery and the compartment.
You may need to try several times - just pull slow, and try adding different amounts of tension (by twisting your wrist)
If the hardware store does not sell spring stock, you can usually find a spring gauge at hardware or sometimes auto parts stores - you should spend around $2 for spring stock, but spring gauges are around $12

This method works because the edges of the spring stock are pointed, they "dig" into the plastic when you twist your wrist, and since spring stock is wider than tweezers or similar devices, it has the least chance of "gouging" the soft plastic.
04-10-2014, 05:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I highly recommend everyone put an LED headlamp in your travel kit. More often than not it is invaluable.

Michael
04-10-2014, 10:22 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
I highly recommend everyone put an LED headlamp in your travel kit. More often than not it is invaluable.

Michael
A led lamp is also good for light painting =)