Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2014, 03:36 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

HDR in Lightroom 5.3

I have problems to process K-3 produced HDR pictures in LR 5. Means, that i can see the HDR on camera screen, but when imported to LR 5, i see only a normal picture and not the HDR. I noticed during import, that LR shows a kind of preview, thatīs it.
Do i miss something, or does LR not support the HDR?
Thx

04-13-2014, 06:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the HDR photo jpeg or raw? And how big is it (MB)?
04-13-2014, 10:06 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Is the HDR photo jpeg or raw? And how big is it (MB)?
itīs a RAW file and the size is about 80-95 mb, could be the problem?
04-13-2014, 10:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Was just checking if you did it right on your end
You are not the only one with this problem:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/241831-k3-hdr-raw.html
The reason you see the different photos is that the DNG file contains a "preview jpeg" which is different from the actual raw photo data. The preview jpeg is processed automatically, so it looks like a "finished photo", while the raw data is not yet a photo and has to be processed.
I can't help you further than that, I never tried any of this before. Try using other software (especially the one that comes with the camera) or looking for threads/blogs about it

Edit: And I hope someone replies here with a full answer.

04-13-2014, 01:50 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zamke14 Quote
I have problems to process K-3 produced HDR pictures in LR 5. Means, that i can see the HDR on camera screen, but when imported to LR 5, i see only a normal picture and not the HDR. I noticed during import, that LR shows a kind of preview, thatīs it.
Do i miss something, or does LR not support the HDR?
Thx
Hi There
Have you tried updating the Lightroom to newer version 5.4 and camera raw 8.4
Just a thought not saying it will work but always better to have the updated version
Cheers Tom G
04-13-2014, 02:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/250733-k-3-hdr.html - we had a lengthy discussion of this issue in that thread. To summarize it :

* K-3 RAW HDR files are written in a way, that no software fully understands them. Software reads just one of the frames and ignores the rest.
* There is work around for this issue. Pentax Digital Camera Utility allows to "uncombine" the RAW HDR file into separate files, which can be later merged in any program that creates HDR images.
* You can use OOC JPG files.

I hope this helps.
04-13-2014, 04:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Stagnant Quote
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/250733-k-3-hdr.html - we had a lengthy discussion of this issue in that thread. To summarize it :

* K-3 RAW HDR files are written in a way, that no software fully understands them. Software reads just one of the frames and ignores the rest.
* There is work around for this issue. Pentax Digital Camera Utility allows to "uncombine" the RAW HDR file into separate files, which can be later merged in any program that creates HDR images.
* You can use OOC JPG files.

I hope this helps.
I don't have a K3, so I can only guess. Is this "HDR" RAW file the result of an automated camera function, like a scene mode or something that is supposed to combine three RAW shots into one, and produce an HDR still in RAW? If so, it will look kinda dead and need further processing just like any other RAW file.

There is a solution if this is a bug: simply autobracket three or five RAW files yourself, select them in Lightroom and export them to an HDR software program. That's the standard procedure. Hope this helps.

04-13-2014, 05:20 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Faststone will open the full file.
From there I'm not sure what you would do - save it as a tiff?
04-13-2014, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Oh one more thing to keep in mind is that HDR files by themselves do not look very stunning. It is the tone mapping that makes them look good. With the K-3, you can play with the curves and such settings to get a very similar effect even with regular raw files.
04-13-2014, 10:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Oh one more thing to keep in mind is that HDR files by themselves do not look very stunning. It is the tone mapping that makes them look good. With the K-3, you can play with the curves and such settings to get a very similar effect even with regular raw files.
That would be very cool to be able to do that in-camera!
04-14-2014, 07:52 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thx for all he comments on the issue. just updated to LR 5.4 and Camea RAW 8.4 and for the moment i found a solution by using some HDR presets for LR. Itīs just a bit wired, that you can produce HDR RAW files with the K-3 and it doesn't work then in a processing software.
Anyways, here is a processed RAW file into HDR with LR.
Greets
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
12-05-2014, 12:30 AM   #12

As Stagnant mentioned you can extract the K3 HDR RAW images using the Ricoh Digital Camera Utility 5 software. Once extracted, the JPEG or RAW files can be imported into other editing software.

From a Mac...
- launch the Ricoh Digital Camera Utility 5
- select Browser from the utility menu and navigate to the HDR RAW file
- from the menu bar open Tools, and then select either "Extract JPEG..." or "Separation of HDR RAW file..."

The extracted single JPEG file should look like the HDR image as seen in camera. If you want to edit the separated RAW files you can merge them back together using programs like Photoshop Elements 13 PhotoMerge@Exposure feature.
12-05-2014, 03:53 AM   #13
Unregistered User

When opening the HDR RAW in Lightroom or Pentax own program you will only see and edit one of the raw files that is embedded in the large file, the base file. You will not have the extra dynamic range that a tone mapping gives when reading data from all three files. You will need to use the Pentax program to extract the three files and use a separate program to do the tone mapping.

Someone mentioned a program called Faststone, that program only displays the embedded jpeg file, not any raw data.
12-28-2014, 01:14 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thx for your input, i am still fine with my software HDR, but i will try out to do the extraction of the raw file with the software.
regards
12-28-2014, 01:30 PM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by zamke14 Quote
in Lightroom 5.3
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom777 Quote
Have you tried updating the Lightroom to newer version 5.4 and camera raw 8.4
Just for information the latest version of Lightroom is now 5.7.1 and Camera Raw is now 8.7.1