Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2014, 01:32 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
My first K3 Photos Tom G

Hi all
Thank you all for the advice I have had on the forum,

I managed to get out to-day so I was at Danure Harbour, that's in Ayrshire , Scotland near were I live

I tried out the K3 with the 18mm 135mm lens, ( all I have at The moment )

so far so good still need to learn a bit more about F/stops I think that's the right term I was mostly on F 5.6. F 9, F11, I think I get a bit over excited instead of taking my time??

if I.m taken landscapes I should be up at F11 plus is that correct, also when would you use F 22, if anyone could give me a lead on that I would be grateful

anyway here's what I got not brilliant but a start,

---------- Post added 04-14-14 at 09:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom777 Quote
Hi all
Thank you all for the advice I have had on the forum,

I managed to get out to-day so I was at Danure Harbour, that's in Ayrshire , Scotland near were I live

I tried out the K3 with the 18mm 135mm lens, ( all I have at The moment )

so far so good still need to learn a bit more about F/stops I think that's the right term I was mostly on F 5.6. F 9, F11, I think I get a bit over excited instead of taking my time??

if I.m taken landscapes I should be up at F11 plus is that correct, also when would you use F 22, if anyone could give me a lead on that I would be grateful

anyway here's what I got not brilliant but a start,
That's the island of arran across the water if anyone want's to no

Last edited by Tom777; 05-08-2014 at 12:38 PM.
04-14-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Which PP software did you use? There's an awful lot of banding in the sky.
04-14-2014, 05:48 PM   #3

In regards to f-stops, as you appear to already know, larger numbers give you more depth of field (more stuff in "acceptable" focus in front and behind where you focused). There is no magic number to always use, but f8 or higher is often an effective f-stop for landscapes. To get an idea of what focus distance and f-stop will do, I found Online Depth of Field Calculator helpful.

By the way, I think your shots are kind of nice especially if you're just starting out.
04-14-2014, 08:00 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
well done!
as for the f stops - if you go over F11..F16, some may find that the resulting image has some softness because of the diffraction, but I really can't comment, if it is really an issue, I'll let the more experienced gang voice their opinion on this.

04-15-2014, 04:13 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by drugal Quote
In regards to f-stops, as you appear to already know, larger numbers give you more depth of field (more stuff in "acceptable" focus in front and behind where you focused). There is no magic number to always use, but f8 or higher is often an effective f-stop for landscapes. To get an idea of what focus distance and f-stop will do, I found Online Depth of Field Calculator helpful.

By the way, I think your shots are kind of nice especially if you're just starting out.
Thanks Drugal
Yeah a lot to learn yet
Tom G

---------- Post added 04-15-14 at 12:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Which PP software did you use? There's an awful lot of banding in the sky.
Hi there
Could you explain what you mean banding in the sky.

I do no they are not perfect in any way I use Lightroom 5.4 although I never used any noise reduction i.e. never used the detail slider in lightroom, if that's what you mean,
The sky is a little to blue that's what I see.
Perhaps you could explain banding a little more to me
Thanks very much
Tom G
04-15-2014, 05:08 AM   #7

Original Poster
Hi Steve Ledger
I see what you mean now, by banding and I do see it in the images, and I have just checked raw images I have saved as Tiff's no banding,
also the same images in jpegs no banding.
But I no what happened it was when I had to convert so I could upload here to the forum, it says no bigger than 900k so the jpegs were 12meg and the raw saved as Tiff's were 137mb saved via lightroom,
Then I select all and export to folder for uploaded to the forum,
but in Lightroom settings export settings for jpeg keep to 900k this is were the banding has happened. ( I think)
So what I would ask is what is the best way to export Photos from Lightroom so I can upload to form, the raw files I have which are saved as Tiff's are 137mb each so if I convert one of these for the forum it is a lot of compression to get it to 900k so I must be doing something wrong,???
Tom G

---------- Post added 04-15-14 at 01:10 PM ----------

only on the images posted here not on the originals so the compression has caused a problem, also save in sRGB format is this correct
04-16-2014, 11:35 PM   #8
rfg

Hi Steve Ledger
only on the images posted here not on the originals so the compression has caused a problem, also save in sRGB format is this correct
sRGB is correct. 900k should be plenty for a jpeg this size. What exact settings did you use in the export dialogue?

Firefox image info says size is 150kB and dimensions 1,203px 800px (scaled to 1,024px 681px). If your image is getting compressed a second time, from ~900 to 150kB this could easily be the result.

04-17-2014, 01:03 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Why convert the raw to tiff? Why not just keep the raws as needed on your computer and then as you need them use lightroom to output some jpgs for uploading here. Or even better just use LR's built in upload to Flickr plugin and upload straight to flickr.
04-17-2014, 02:10 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
Why convert the raw to tiff? Why not just keep the raws as needed on your computer and then as you need them use lightroom to output some jpgs for uploading here. Or even better just use LR's built in upload to Flickr plugin and upload straight to flickr.
Thanks dcBear78
I'm looking into the banding problem with LR, seems if you use a vignetting it can cause problems
see here
Banding in jpeg exports--why??? - Lightroom Forums

Banding on vignetting is not unusual, and in Lightroom's case it's a lack of dithering when converting from 16-bit to 8-bit and from a large colour space to a small one.
Yes regarding flicker I will have to get an account or whatever one does to join

When you use LR do you keep all your photos at 16 bit,
have to look at this the photos I have uploaded here do show banding but not on the originals,
and they can not be more than 900k to upload here If one jpeg is 13meg then that's a lot of compression,
what does flicker allow for uploads I will have to check

Thanks anyway for the advice dc if you can answer any questions above please do,
P.S.
when I bring the raw files into LR they appear to be converted. do you just save as raw, is that what you mean?????
Tom G
04-17-2014, 04:10 AM   #11
Site Supporter

If you upload here the TIF file has to be converted to JPG and "resampled" to 72 DPI.
I don't have Lightroom but I would imagine the procedure is very much the same as in Photoshop, namely you click on "image" then go to "image size" tick the "resample" box and change the resolution from (most likely 300 DPI) to 72 DPI. Next go to "width" in the same window and enter a new value, say 1024 which is acceptable here and save this image as JPG. You are done and ready to upload here.

Greetings
04-17-2014, 04:22 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks Schraubstock

Yes there was a few things I done wrong i.e. the DPI was still at 300 instead of 72 yes and I never changed the width
But you do no that there is a problem with banding in LR when you export.
I googled it and it seems it has something to do with the dithering during conversion
Tom G
04-17-2014, 08:02 AM   #13

Original Poster
Just wanted to upload this photo its same as one above but different settings to see if the banding has gone its only 500k and 1000x 1000 pixels 72dpi
I never done this with my other photos i uploaded here

---------- Post added 04-17-14 at 04:09 PM ----------

Just wanted to upload this photo its same as one above but different settings to see if the banding has gone its only 500k and 1000x 1000 pixels 72dpi
I never done this with my other photos i uploaded here
Does not appear to have any banding in this photo one of the first from my new K3
The K3 is just a brilliant camera full stop.
I had a look at the Flicker with a view to uploading photos there but you have to have a yahoo Email as far as i can see and I don't want that
please correct me if I'm wrong

Tom G

Last edited by Tom777; 05-08-2014 at 12:38 PM.