Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2014, 07:08 AM   #1

Getting a K3 in Australia

So, I'm thinking of upgrading from my Kr to a K3. Looking around to see what would be the best way to get a K3 here in Australia. Options I've found so far:

1) B&H USA, $1350 including shipping, with about $450 in bonuses (flash etc). Only issues are warranty - I'm guessing Australian retailers won't be too keen to help seeing as it's a grey import? Would Pentax Australia care? Also, being above $1000, customs will probably be interested, so may have to pay 10% GST on it unless I can get B&H to do something like split the sale in two or something else maybe a little dodgy... So that'll be about $1500 with $450 bonuses?

2) Local ie Camera Pro, Camera Warehouse etc, seems to be just under $1300 with an 8GB FluCard, not sure if there are any better deals around?

Thoughts?

Thanks

04-18-2014, 07:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would go local, OS could be hassle warranty, import duties etc
04-18-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
rfg

QuoteOriginally posted by demuire Quote
So, I'm thinking of upgrading from my Kr to a K3. Looking around to see what would be the best way to get a K3 here in Australia. Options I've found so far:

1) B&H USA, $1350 including shipping, with about $450 in bonuses (flash etc). Only issues are warranty - I'm guessing Australian retailers won't be too keen to help seeing as it's a grey import? Would Pentax Australia care? Also, being above $1000, customs will probably be interested, so may have to pay 10% GST on it unless I can get B&H to do something like split the sale in two or something else maybe a little dodgy... So that'll be about $1500 with $450 bonuses?

2) Local ie Camera Pro, Camera Warehouse etc, seems to be just under $1300 with an 8GB FluCard, not sure if there are any better deals around?

Thoughts?

Thanks
I'd also buy locally, for the warranty (you wont get warranty service in Australia if you buy grey). You may also cop duty as you say. I bought mine from Digidirect in Sydney, claimed the GST back via TRS.
04-18-2014, 01:44 PM   #4

Original Poster
How does the claiming GST back thing work with bringing it back in when you return? Don't you have to declare and pay the GST back when you return here?

04-18-2014, 04:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
How does the claiming GST back thing work with bringing it back in when you return? Don't you have to declare and pay the GST back when you return here?
Claiming GST is easy - show the thing and tax invoice on the way out.

BUT on the way back you must declare if you are bringing more than $900 of stuff (some exceptions to what counts as stuff - such as clothes and personal effects) but major electronic items are stuff. So the after refund price of AUD1300 item is >AUD900. I have heard of friends who claimed on large items (~1500) on the way out and were inspected for them on the way back. Since they travelled as a group and each had claimed on different things ...

I recently got one from Paxton's in Sydney for about $1300 including postage, arrived within a week, to get local after sales support and no tax on the way in (which B&H would result in since the value is greater than AUD1000 - the limit for parcels). If posting it in, with invoice documents the declared value would be the price you paid for the pile of stuff, it is irrelevant what price the shop would have charged if you bought them separately, and there is no documentation to describe that. (And if you really needed to argue the point you would have your credit card statement to show your side of the story.)

Look at the Ricoh distributor page: Store Locator | Ricoh Photographic Australia and combine that with one of the web searchers for low prices, but the lowest prices come from places not listed - probably grey market.

To me $1300 is 'big' - I want after sales service.
04-18-2014, 07:36 PM   #6

Original Poster
Fair enough, I think I've been convinced to buy local

I still don't understand the GST claim though - as you mentioned, $1300 > the $900 limit, so wouldn't you need to pay back everything you claimed on the way out anyway? Which would make it not worth claiming? Or am I missing something? I'm going overseas in December, so trying to decide if I should wait till then and claim the GST, or just buy it now...
04-18-2014, 09:21 PM   #7
Forum Member

Thoughts?

Thanks
I purchased my k3 @ DCW with the 8gig flucard. The flucard is rubbish.. Its a slow card and the wifi function works but its faster to just insert it into a card reader.. The Pentax Flucard is what you need but they are $199 locally (ridiculous ) so order from overseas..

04-18-2014, 09:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The Pentax Australian distributor (CR Kennedy) has an online Pentax store and they have the best local prices as you would expect.

https://www.pentax.com.au/product/pentax-k-3-body-only

$1299 with an 8GB flucard chucked in.
04-18-2014, 11:26 PM   #9
Forum Member

I'm in this position also, wasn't sure where to get the K3. I want the flucard to allow focusing on a tablet, I don't care about file transfer, how is it functioning as remote liveview?
04-19-2014, 12:06 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

I still don't understand the GST claim though - as you mentioned, $1300 > the $900 limit, so wouldn't you need to pay back everything you claimed on the way out anyway? Which would make it not worth claiming? Or am I missing something? I'm going overseas in December, so trying to decide if I should wait till then and claim the GST, or just buy it now...
Sorry for making you misunderstand.

The camera is $1300. After tax refund that would be about $1180, which is greater than $900 (the duty free limit) so you would need to pay duty on ALL the value on return (and would not get any other duty free allowance either. So no value in trying to claim a GST refund for a traveller leaving Australia and returning. You reasoning is correct.
04-19-2014, 02:38 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gorillagirl Quote
I'm in this position also, wasn't sure where to get the K3. I want the flucard to allow focusing on a tablet, I don't care about file transfer, how is it functioning as remote liveview?
The flu card that Digital Camera Warehouse is simple has wireless transfer and lacks all the functionality of the Pentax Flucard OFC-1 which allows for control of the camera remotely, download images...etc...etc.. The features one expects when talking about wifi re: cameras theses days..

I through my free flucard that came with the K3 in the bin after trying it.. IMO, the free Flu card adds NO value to the DCW offering.
04-19-2014, 02:59 AM   #12
Forum Member

I'll get my K3 from the Pentax store, comes with a card but I'm guessing this card is one of the crap ones too? Considering the genuine thing is worth $200 (ouchie) something thrown in like this doesn't bode well.

https://www.pentax.com.au/product/pentax-k-3-body-only

Or maybe CR Kennedy because i can pick it up from them.

Last edited by gorillagirl; 04-19-2014 at 03:06 AM. Reason: additional info
04-19-2014, 06:57 AM   #13
rfg

In principle, as tim60 says above, you would be liable for duty on the amount above $900 but a) they don't check in my experience and b) when you return you have a used k-3 which has a considerably lower value in their eyes, so no issue really.
04-19-2014, 07:34 AM   #14

Digidirect is cheaper than CRKenedy, $1,229 body only or $1,558 with the DAL 18-135 WR lens. I just noticed that the lens is listed as a DAL version rather than DA, is there such a thing? The one I got in December was certainly DA. Also, they are listed as a store on Where to buy | www.pentax.com.au. Digidirect had their cheapest prices in the Christmas sale, if you could wait that long.
04-19-2014, 07:57 AM   #15

Original Poster
Hmm, I wonder if there would be any good end of financial year deals to be had