Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2014, 12:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can shoot jpeg, no problem. I just suggest you really learn about white balance and EV compensation (+/- button). The User modes (custom modes) on the camera can be really helpful, too. You can make one user mode for fast shutter, one for black and white photos, etc.
And keep in mind you can affect how the camera draws the jpegs in the Info menu, where you can select Bright, Landscape, Portrait, Vibrant, etc. You can customize these, too, if you want to add some sharpness or contrast.

If you shoot raw, you can do all of that later on your computer. But jpeg can be more relaxing

04-18-2014, 02:21 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I also shoot JPEG almost exclusively. You can achieve great results in all but the most challenging conditions.

Here's an old post of mine with some inspiration regarding settings:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/250736-camera-settings-bes...ml#post2685604

Regards,
--Anders.
04-19-2014, 04:31 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shoot pegs almost exclusively , and have since I switched to digital with the *istD. What I have found is that you need most to look at your lighting and contrast settings, these can vary quite a bit.

I normally shoot with daylight WB selected, because if you make an error, daylight leaves you with an image that is workable, and modify able in an editor to correct. I will some times switch but this is a situational basis.

I also use the highlight and shadow correction, and find this can give you about 2 stops more dynamic range when needed for high contrast situations.

The real recommendation is to play with the camera and learn what each control does, and look at the histogram. A histogram with a broad range, vs one with a very sharp peak is a good indication of the contrast difference .

And by the way, don't let people tell you JPEG is not changeable in a photo editor. It is. The bit test difference is raw is 12-14 bits as opposed to JPEG being 8. As a result, major adjustments in JPEG are harder or don't work out well, but minor adjustments are easy and possible.

The other thing to remember with working to get JPEG right in camera, is even if you do elect to shoot raw, many raw editors have the option to start with the JPEG settings. If you have them right, then you start your workflow at close to perfect.

The one thing I have not seen, but perhaps I spend very little time editing, is a good software that allows you to control the settings / adjustments as they appear in camera. That way, if you elect to modify the settings, you could take the resulting modifications, if you find you make them often, and know exactly how much to change the in camera settings.

Wouldn't that be nice
04-19-2014, 05:15 AM   #19

Original Poster
Thanks for all the recommendations. It's encouraging to see that others shoot jpegs too. Many of you have suggested, quite rightly, that getting to know the camera and adjusting the settings accordingly to achieve desired result is necessary. I agree. Also, there seems to be at least some latitude in fixing jpeg images in post. In some ways it may force me to shoot less but think more before I shoot. I kind of like that approach more than the sometimes touted idea of just get out and shoot lots.

Lowell, I think you're on to something with your software suggestion. I think it would be very useful, especially in this context.

04-19-2014, 05:55 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I started off shooting jpeg and through the years eventually moved to shooting mostly raw but currently will use the in camera jpeg features when I want to utilize certain effects that it offers or if I am shooting family gatherings or some special events. The best latitude I have found for my use editing jpegs is by initially using Adobe ACR prior to using my copy of Photoshop CS6 for finishing.

It may not be worth using for anyone who doesn't like to post processing much though.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 04-19-2014 at 10:32 AM.
04-19-2014, 06:52 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Oddity Quote
...has someone found some settings that have worked to get acceptable out of camera jpeg images. Moreover, are there some of you who prefer or like the out of camera jpegs?
Welcome aboard. Lots of good suggestions from others... (a few I'll try, as well)

My 2 cents...

Once you become somewhat familiar with your new K-3's controls, consider exploring the included software program. Its adjustment tools use the same (or similar) terminology as found in the camera. Take an image you think has potential, off load it onto your computer and fine tune it to your liking. Note the new software adjustment parameters, then change the like camera settings to fit. Once you start working back and forth between camera and computer, you'll learn a lot and perhaps open new avenues for expression. Consider it all a game.... as your interaction increases, the fun increases. You might even get to a point where you consider post processing fun.... maybe even as much fun as taking the shot, or even more so. The trick is to take your time and not feel you need to master it all at once... right now.

Above all... think positive and stay upbeat for the adventure... you could be in for a wild ride.

Cheers... M
04-19-2014, 03:15 PM   #22

Original Poster
Thank you Michaelina2! I will definitely have a look at the included software. Your suggestion makes good sense to me. Glad to know you were able to gain some useful knowledge from this thread too. After receiving this camera and getting the opportunity to try things out for myself, I will update any new findings.