Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2015, 01:11 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bebotette Quote
Official pentax people, where are you with this?
I wonder if official Pentax people hang around on this forum.

05-28-2015, 06:06 AM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robespierre Quote
if I change the battery quickly, in about 10-20 seconds, I do not lose time data. Is very complicate send the camera to USA... maybe I will coexist with this problem.
I suspect that you could learn to change batteries VERY quickly (perhaps in less than 10 seconds), which will let you keep the date and time and avoid sending it back and forth halfway around the globe. (Hopefully, of course, there is nothing else wrong, and hopefully the capacitor will not fail further.)

Good luck.
05-28-2015, 07:47 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dhodgeh Quote
After upgrading the firmware on my K-3 to 1.03, I have to re-enter the date and time every time I change the battery.

I'm using genuine Pentax batteries, and none of the custom functions I have set seem to be affected.

I am also verifying that I do save the setting before exiting the date/time screen.

Anyone else seen this behavior or have any insight to this?

Thanks
I have the same problem with my K-x but it is memory card related.

Sandisk works fine but another brand doesn't.

When I eject the memory card BEFORE I remove the battery all is fine.
Could you test that?
05-28-2015, 08:43 AM   #19
Inactive Account

eject the memory card before, donīt works for me... And Some times, 10 sec. are not enough. So bad!

05-28-2015, 10:35 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
I wonder if official Pentax people hang around on this forum.
No, they have their own forum...

Home - RIAC Community

Steve
05-29-2015, 12:00 PM   #21

Tried ejecting the memory card before removing/replacing battery. After 2-4 seconds of putting new battery back, it's working. But after 10 seconds, nah.
05-31-2015, 09:13 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bebotette Quote
Tried ejecting the memory card before removing/replacing battery. After 2-4 seconds of putting new battery back, it's working. But after 10 seconds, nah.
Same here on my K3. Take out battery and put it back in 2 secs, it is fine. Take it out for more than 5 seconds, date-time is lost. Calling Ricoh tomorrow. It sucks that there is a silly and really annoying defect in an otherwise great device.

06-01-2015, 11:40 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Question for the wise people here: I called Ricoh and the asked that I send it to Precision Repair. I am ready to send it to Precision but have been reading horror stories about them. My K-3 is still under warranty. however.

Would you recommend that I send it to Precision still, or just live with the date/time reset issue and not risk the delay and any other problems they might create?
06-01-2015, 11:51 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For those of you seeing this issue for the first time, I suggest installing a fully charged battery and leaving it in the camera overnight.
See if that cures the problem.
Sometimes the capacitors need a while to get to a state where they will hold enough charge to keep the clock going.
06-01-2015, 12:10 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
For those of you seeing this issue for the first time, I suggest installing a fully charged battery and leaving it in the camera overnight.
See if that cures the problem.
Sometimes the capacitors need a while to get to a state where they will hold enough charge to keep the clock going.
My battery was fully charged and in the camera for 4 days. Unfortunately, still have that problem as of this morning.

On the sending to Precision - yay? nay?
06-01-2015, 12:17 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had good results on their work on a Q7 and I was one of the first ones to use them, right at the transition.
Others have reported that work was done properly but info was not forthcoming on status or progress.
There really is no other option at this point.
I would call/chat with Ricoh support but they will probably tell you to send it in. (oh sounds like you already did that.)
06-01-2015, 02:11 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK, thanks for your input. I'll bite the bullet...sending it this evening and keeping my fingers crossed!
12-25-2020, 02:40 PM   #28
TRP

Time and date problem resolved on my K3

I stepped back my update from 1.41 back to 1.40. Problem solved.
12-25-2020, 07:56 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TRP Quote
I stepped back my update from 1.41 back to 1.40. Problem solved.

This made me check my own f/w. It was 1.21.. I updated to 1.4 and still happens after pulling the battery. Definitely a hardware problem for me.
04-01-2023, 04:55 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is no capacitor for keeping the date/time but a 3V Lithium battery (Seiko MS414).

If this battery is not completly dead, there is a chance to rescue it:

- New (and a good D-LI90 original Pentax) battery plugged in
- Menu "wrench-sign" page 3: AutoPower Off: on OFF (so the camera won't switch off automatically after x minutes)
- K3 switchen on
- Display switched off (press INFO button twice.... cursor to the very right ... o.k. button)
- Now leave K3 on for several hours (if the D-LI90 is nearly empty the K3 will switch off automatically to protect the battery!)

(alternativly use the seperate Power-supply to keep your K3 running)
This helps to give the internal C-MOS backup battery some extra charge.

If this doesn't help, then one has 2 problems:
1. Date and Time and settings lost each time the battery is swapped (often if within few seconds it does still work)
2. The backup-battery tries to charge and draws energy. This discharges the main battery quicker.

To bad, this MS414 is on the backside of the mainboard, i.e. one has to get the mainboard out or a least lose at one side to replace this little bugger.