Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2014, 02:44 PM   #1

K3 Exposure Compensation Setting

Went out and took some RAW images the other day. They appeared very dark. Images did not look right. I did make some changes in Aperture and that helped.

I checked the exposure compensation setting. I usually have it set on bright. It was set on Bleach Bypass. Does anyone know what this is? What impact it has on an image?

Thanks.

Steve

04-21-2014, 02:51 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bigdomino Quote
I checked the exposure compensation setting. I usually have it set on bright. It was set on Bleach Bypass. Does anyone know what this is? What impact it has on an image?
That's not exposure compensation, but rather the custom image setting. Anyway, bleach bypass will give you some crazy JPEG effect that's almost never useful. It shouldn't have an impact on the RAW data, but JPEG files and possible RAW previews would end up looking funny.

Take a look at the "JPEG Image Engine" category on this page to see what bleach bypass does compared to the other settings:
Pentax K-50 Review - Image Quality - Pentax Camera Forums

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-21-2014, 02:56 PM   #3

Original Poster
Adam, thanks. The images with Bleach Bypass in the example you sent me look like mine. I do shoot DNG. So does the custom image settings have any impact on DNG/RAW?

Steve
04-21-2014, 04:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Possibly on the preview not on the dng itself.

04-22-2014, 03:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bigdomino Quote
Adam, thanks. The images with Bleach Bypass in the example you sent me look like mine. I do shoot DNG. So does the custom image settings have any impact on DNG/RAW?

Steve
Depends on how you process the RAW, If you use a Pentax converter at default it will obey the 'camera settings' so process the RAW with 'Bleach Bypass' enabled.

If you use a converter that does not understand 'Pentax profiles' then you will get a correct JPeg.

In summary the DNG is clean but carries directives to process as Bleach Bypass in the manufacturer field withn the Exif data.
04-22-2014, 06:15 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Depends on how you process the RAW, If you use a Pentax converter at default it will obey the 'camera settings' so process the RAW with 'Bleach Bypass' enabled.

If you use a converter that does not understand 'Pentax profiles' then you will get a correct JPeg.

In summary the DNG is clean but carries directives to process as Bleach Bypass in the manufacturer field withn the Exif data.
I load the dng files directly into Aperture. No external converter is used.

Steve