Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2014, 04:01 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Why, by all that is good, did this feature (JPEG color mix pre-sets) end up as top-level functionality?
I use it a lot and I like that it's on a dedicated button.
I shot with a K-x for a year before I got a K-5. The K-x has custom image in the INFO menu. As it turns out, the custom image button on the K-5 is a great relief for me that saves a lot of menu diving. It was exactly the right thing to put on a dedicated button compared to the K-x.

It could be customisable though. The white balance button as well, that's also a jpeg thing. RAW shooters would appreciate that.

Regards,
--Anders.

04-26-2014, 09:54 PM   #17

I have done the exact same thing with my K-3. I sling it down low at my hips, and I believe that you can actually hit the controller before the camera sleeps and inadvertently move the settings! I don't trust it anymore, so I just turn the camera off when I sling back down to my hips. It takes away from future spontaneous and quick firing shots. Poor ergonomics Pentax!
04-27-2014, 04:19 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
How about providing a custom setting option to require "OK" for confirmation of changes from the 4-way controller? In other words, allow a strict interpretation of the on-screen option to confirm. The current system inserts an element of peril for settings that might not be obvious in the viewfinder or the top LCD display. (I routinely have the rear display set to "off".)

But then again, what do I know. UI design and UX are not my primary expertise, though they are on my resume'.

The main issue here is that a misplaced heel-of-thumb (I have a big hand) when doing a one-hand carry may take the camera settings on an interesting random walk with the last step to be confirmed when one brings the camera to eye and presses the shutter release. Now perhaps the problem is that my heel-of-thumb is not expert enough to assist in holding the camera and the solution is the removal of same. I don't think so.

Steve

---------- Post added 04-26-14 at 12:37 PM ----------

Perhaps the OP and I are both overreacting a bit here since he is coming from a K20D and I am coming from a K10D. On both of those cameras, making a significant change to the capture behavior requires a multi-button sequence. The interface on both those older bodies is fairly user "safe".

Steve
Currently for select options you need to navigate to to the required setting and select OK

So you already have explicit confirmation on a seperate button from navigation, The issue is the camera shutters doubles up as a secondary OK button this is plainly stupid as your always going to press it (its a camera !!!)

The solution is not to alter the gui but remove the secondary OK function from the shutter so if you;ve pressed the selector accidentally to a different setting pressing the shutter cancels it not verifies.

I agree that the shutter confirming un intentially selected items is a gui bug and is going to cause a lot more forum teeth gnashing.

I am not effected as I'm in AF-c almost exclusivley and the 4 way selector is in AF select mode.
04-27-2014, 11:41 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
The issue is the camera shutters doubles up as a secondary OK button this is plainly stupid as your always going to press it (its a camera !!!)
Yep, plainly stupid.

Steve

04-27-2014, 01:16 PM   #20

Good point Awald. I never put 2 and 2 together and realized that indeed that the shutter press does confirm the settings. With that knowledge now, I will be sure and be aware of it.
04-27-2014, 06:05 PM   #21

Original Poster
Finally loaded DCU 5 which came with the k3 and low and behold... the .jpg custom image settings are in fact all available via post processing. Just converted all of my "bleach bypass" .jpgs to "natural." Simply select the .jpg in browser, go to laboratory and press the custom image setting drop down on the right to select which one you want. Voila, no harm, no foul!!!!!
04-27-2014, 06:27 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by meSuper2 Quote
Finally loaded DCU 5 which came with the k3 and low and behold... the .jpg custom image settings are in fact all available via post processing. Just converted all of my "bleach bypass" .jpgs to "natural." Simply select the .jpg in browser, go to laboratory and press the custom image setting drop down on the right to select which one you want. Voila, no harm, no foul!!!!!
You're kidding. It is not supposed to work that way.

Oh, well! What works, works!

Steve
04-27-2014, 06:51 PM   #23

I didn't receive any software with my K-3? Am I the only one, or does it only come to certain countries? How do I get it now?

04-27-2014, 07:10 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gosman Quote
I didn't receive any software with my K-3? Am I the only one, or does it only come to certain countries? How do I get it now?
Mine (received from Adorama a little over a week ago) came with a CD in the same plastic bag with the owner's manual.

Steve
04-27-2014, 07:27 PM   #25

I am too organized. I actually filed away the disc with my receipt and extended warranty papers!
04-27-2014, 09:35 PM   #26

MeSuper- loaded Silky Picture software- but when I go to laboratory, the custom image drop downs do not work on the right side. What am I doing wrong?
04-27-2014, 10:21 PM   #27

Original Poster
Although I'm not a big Apple fan, I had trouble with it on my Windows machine. The software was glitchy for my 64bit install. I was able to do a few and then it stopped working for some reason on certain files. When I tried it on my Mac it worked every time. I suggest trying a few different files to see if it works with any of them.

---------- Post added 04-27-14 at 11:31 PM ----------

Also, it only works if the original photo .jpg was taken with the K3 so there's already an embedded custom image setting within the file.