Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2014, 06:37 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
My 50-135 is overexposing very badly in green mode,.

I have no idea why its doing this. Any suggestions?

04-26-2014, 06:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Please post the exit data.
04-26-2014, 06:51 PM   #3

Original Poster
Main IFD
--------
Camera make:RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
Camera model:PENTAX K-3
Software:PENTAX K-3 Ver. 1.03
Date/time:4/26/2014 9:19:20 AM
Image description:
Copyright:
Orientation:Normal
Title:
Subject:
Author:
Comments:
Keywords:
Resolution:300 x 300 inches

Exif sub-IFD
------------
Exif version:2.30
Colour space:RGB
Date/time original:4/26/2014 9:19:20 AM
Date/time digitised:4/26/2014 9:19:20 AM
Exif image width:6016
Exif image height:4000
Exposure programme:Normal
Exposure time:0.003125 seconds
Exposure bias value:0
File sourceigital camera
Flash present:Yes
Flash mode:Compulsory suppression
Flash fired:No
Flash red eye reduction:No
Flash strobe light:No detection function
F number:13
Focal length:135
Focal length in 35mm film:202
Gain control:
Image unique ID:
ISO speed rating(s):200
Light source:
MakerNote data offset:0
Metering mode:Pattern
Related sound file:
Rendering:Normal
Scene capture type:Standard
Scene typeirectly photographed
Sensing method:One chip
Spectral sensitivity:
Subject distance rangeistant
White balance mode:Auto

Interoperability sub-IFD
------------------------
Interoperability type:R98
Interoperability version:1.00

GPS sub-IFD
-----------
GPS version:2.30
GPS date/time (UTC):12/30/1899 12:00:00 AM
GPS satellites:
GPS status:
GPS measure mode:
GPS map datum:
GPS differential:

Thumbnail IFD
-------------
Thumbnail orientation:Normal
Thumbnail resolution:300 x 300 inches
04-26-2014, 07:32 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The EXIF aperture, shutter speed and ISO look appropriate for the scene. Any chance the lens is not stopping down? You may want to confirm that the aperture lever works smoothly and that the blade operation is snappy. Any problems with other lenses?

Steve

04-26-2014, 08:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Possibly a sticky aperture issue.
04-26-2014, 08:53 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The EXIF aperture, shutter speed and ISO look appropriate for the scene. Any chance the lens is not stopping down? You may want to confirm that the aperture lever works smoothly and that the blade operation is snappy. Any problems with other lenses?

Steve

Crap..... The aperture lever is quite stiff. Just compared it to my Tamron 17-50, The tammy is smooth as silk.

I suppose I need to send it off somewhere. The real bad news I am going to Yellowstone in a month, I doubt the turn around time from anywhere is near that fast.

Edit: I just gave it another little flick and it freed up.
04-26-2014, 09:32 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxian Quote

Admit it, Pentaxian, you emptied a can of WD40 into it ...

04-26-2014, 09:51 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxian Quote
Crap..... The aperture lever is quite stiff. Just compared it to my Tamron 17-50, The tammy is smooth as silk.

I suppose I need to send it off somewhere. The real bad news I am going to Yellowstone in a month, I doubt the turn around time from anywhere is near that fast.

The question is...how did it get that way?

Steve
04-27-2014, 04:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The question is...how did it get that way?

Steve
The 'normal' way with PKA is pushing left as lining up the mount bends the aperture arm on the lens causing it to bind on the slot edges.

Bending bakc frees it.

Another favouite with SDM is fitting the lens at an off angle before twisting this rips the contatcts of the SDM feeds (there only rolled brass)
04-27-2014, 05:15 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Glad the problem is fixed. When you first mount the lens you may want to do a quick DOF preview to insure it is working properly.

If this is your first time to Yellowstone don't even try to take the whole place in at once. It is not a place you "do". It is a place you experience. I have spent a total of over two weeks in the park since 1991 and still have not found the time to drive out the northeast entrance road. A place like the Norris and Porcelain Geyser Basins can easily consume 4 hours of you life and leave you wanting more.

Patience is a real virtue as "bear jams" are pretty common. I have seen bison take over the roads for awhile too. DO NOT APPROACH THEM. Their normal attitude is basically a bull on PCP. They can switch it on and off before you can blink your eyes and they move fast. They have injured and killed more tourists than any other animal in the park.

I was there for a quick visit last June. The place was crawling with tourists and the most agressive ones were the Chinese. Downright rude in some instances. One even cut me off for a parking space. I don't think that they have learned how to get into "vacation mode" yet. Get in the park before sunrise and you will enjoy a few hours of relative calm. Evenings work too. The Grand Tetons are just south of the park and there is the roadside pull off where Ansel Adams took his famous photo of them with the Snake River in the foreground.

Photo gear tip: You may want to invest in some good clear glass filters for you lenses. The steam from the hot springs and fumaroles contain acids than can affect lens coatings. Even though the park is on an epic scale, there are plenty of small features that will catch your eye if you look around.

Enjoy. I may be able to do another quick visit in August of this year.
04-27-2014, 05:53 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
The 'normal' way with PKA is pushing left as lining up the mount bends the aperture arm on the lens causing it to bind on the slot edges.

Bending bakc frees it.

Another favouite with SDM is fitting the lens at an off angle before twisting this rips the contatcts of the SDM feeds (there only rolled brass)
Yep, that would do it.

Steve
04-27-2014, 07:04 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Glad the problem is fixed. When you first mount the lens you may want to do a quick DOF preview to insure it is working properly.

If this is your first time to Yellowstone don't even try to take the whole place in at once. It is not a place you "do". It is a place you experience. I have spent a total of over two weeks in the park since 1991 and still have not found the time to drive out the northeast entrance road. A place like the Norris and Porcelain Geyser Basins can easily consume 4 hours of you life and leave you wanting more.

Patience is a real virtue as "bear jams" are pretty common. I have seen bison take over the roads for awhile too. DO NOT APPROACH THEM. Their normal attitude is basically a bull on PCP. They can switch it on and off before you can blink your eyes and they move fast. They have injured and killed more tourists than any other animal in the park.

I was there for a quick visit last June. The place was crawling with tourists and the most agressive ones were the Chinese. Downright rude in some instances. One even cut me off for a parking space. I don't think that they have learned how to get into "vacation mode" yet. Get in the park before sunrise and you will enjoy a few hours of relative calm. Evenings work too. The Grand Tetons are just south of the park and there is the roadside pull off where Ansel Adams took his famous photo of them with the Snake River in the foreground.

Photo gear tip: You may want to invest in some good clear glass filters for you lenses. The steam from the hot springs and fumaroles contain acids than can affect lens coatings. Even though the park is on an epic scale, there are plenty of small features that will catch your eye if you look around.

Enjoy. I may be able to do another quick visit in August of this year.

I have been there quite a bit but its been a long time since I was last there. Your advice is spot on though. Thanks.

---------- Post added 04-27-14 at 07:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Admit it, Pentaxian, you emptied a can of WD40 into it ...

I do happen to be a professional mechanic. So either a hammer or lube is one of the first options.
04-29-2014, 03:23 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In the ancient days I worked in a gas station. One of the older mechanics gave me this pearl of wisdom: "Never force anything. Just get a bigger hammer."

The mechanical neophytes who have never picked up a wrench don't seem to understand that WD-40 is not a lubricant. Never spray that into a lens. What you need is copious amounts of Gumout. Once that does the trick and you need to clean it out you dip the lens in a tub of acetone. Preferably in a well ventilated, spark free area.

BTW, for me the most unsettling thing about Yellowstone is the fumaroles. Knowing what is powering them and how little crust is between you and the magma driving them gives me the willies. The raw power of steam is an awesome thing. Out in Crate Lake National Park there are some very impressive extinct fumaroles. Bluest water I have ever seen too. If you haven't ever been to Glacier National Park it is one spectacular place to see. It is impossible to take a bad photograph there while on Going To The Sun highway.
04-30-2014, 08:38 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was in Yellowstone last week and as usual this time of year it was magnificent! No crowds and traffic and with widely varied weather conditions. Lots of reports of wildlife although most of it was hiding from me again! Spend some time not looking through the viewfinder too. Do go to the iconic Yellowstone sights but spend some time in other parts of the Park as well. I try to go as often as I can (it's only 3 hours away for me) although I do avoid late June, July, and August!.